Versamax? Freind wants one

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Versamax? Freind wants one

Postby MNPheasant » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:32 pm

Well my friend has finally saved up enough money to get himself a semi auto. He has been a die hard Remington guy since he got he 20ga 870 express then went to a 12ga 870 express supermag and well now he wants a semi. He has been looking around at different makes and model and likes the looks of the Versamax. Although he has not held the gun I have held one and have had 870's of my own and the versa max although felt different than a 870 it fit perfect but in a different way. So maybe the same will be with him. He like the versatility of it being able to reliably cycle the 2 3/4 up to 3 1/2 shells. Now to what he's actually looking at. Up at our local gun store they have a used 28" grey versamax (not sportsman) for around $600 not for sure the exact price but, the gun seems to be in pretty good shape except for right at the front bottom piece where the shell ejects has some scuffing in the metal. I don't think this would affect function but am surprised on how it got there and how it got there with all those scratches. Overall do you guys like the gun in general and do you think the price is good for what it is even with what I just told you? Thanks from my friend and I.
Winchester SX3 3.5" 28" 12ga MOSGB
Benelli Montefeltro 26" 12ga
Remington 700 sps Varmint .223 Rem
Remington 597 .22lr
Marlin Model 80 .22lr
Izhmash Mosin Nagant 1942 7.62x54r
J Stevens .22lr Single Shot Pistol

SHOOT EM' UP!
MNPheasant
hunter

Re: Versamax? Freind wants one

Postby lovethosesooners » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:50 pm

The versamax IMO is a great shotgun-I liked the 1st well enough to buy a 2nd one
Very soft shooting, easy to maintain, points where I aim, extremely reliable

I don't think there's a better gun for any kind of heavy loads, duck, turkey, or high volume such as dove hunts

It weighs approx 8#, so an extra # can be a drawback for an all day upland hunt such as pheasant or quail hunting.

I like it for trap too!
lovethosesooners
hunter

Postby micneador » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:46 pm

I don't have a long term review, but I did break in my uncles at the skeet range.
I enjoyed shooting it, action and controls set up a lot like a benelli. Cycled well and felt recoil wasn't that bad for 1 1/8 oz. loads.
Never hire a plumber to do a pipe layers job.
micneador
hunter

Postby BurninPowder » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:22 am

Do it. If for some reason there is an issue Remington CS is top notch. Sounds like a deal at $600. I've had my VM for a little over two years and it's been great.
BurninPowder
hunter

Postby micneador » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:42 am

Wish they would come out with a versa in a 20.
Never hire a plumber to do a pipe layers job.
micneador
hunter

Postby Specklebelly » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:01 am

Great gun but I would offer a suggestion. Have him save some more money and get a new one if he can do it.

That is a lot of money to spend used and I may be wrong but I don't think you get the warranty if you go used.

Either way, good luck.
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Postby lovethosesooners » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:16 am

I'd say for $600, heck yes-really great price
However, think grab a gun has em' for just under $1,000 for a new black one
lovethosesooners
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:57 pm

You should PM this guy:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=199810
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby lovethosesooners » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:40 pm

Sure he should PM that guy....as we'll as every single other shotgun made by literally any other mfr that someone has had issues with.

If the original poster is a regular reader of the shotgun message boards, he'll be able to EASILY figure out that old thread was about one of the early guns that the issues were solved quickly 2 years ago...they have had overall excellent reviews from people that have actually owned them for a few years now.

If anyone cares to see LOADS of feedback, good and bad (again, the bad is almost always about an early release gun), then check out the 130 page thread on shotgun world started by Tujays.

There's not a semi-auto brand out there that hasn't had detractors or issues -none

I'm no "fanboy" of any brand-have just about all of the major upper eschelon ones in my safe and like all if them-some more than others, but the Versamax is my favorite of any of any of them
lovethosesooners
hunter

Postby Tgunz64 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:58 pm

Scratches aren't any big deal. At $600 I'd say it's a pretty good price. You can always have the receiver redone in cerakote and make it look like new again.
Tgunz64
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:00 pm

lovethosesooners wrote:Sure he should PM that guy....as we'll as every single other shotgun made by literally any other mfr that someone has had issues with.

If the original poster is a regular reader of the shotgun message boards, he'll be able to EASILY figure out that old thread was about one of the early guns that the issues were solved quickly 2 years ago...they have had overall excellent reviews from people that have actually owned them for a few years now.

If anyone cares to see LOADS of feedback, good and bad (again, the bad is almost always about an early release gun), then check out the 130 page thread on shotgun world started by Tujays.

There's not a semi-auto brand out there that hasn't had detractors or issues -none

I'm no "fanboy" of any brand-have just about all of the major upper eschelon ones in my safe and like all if them-some more than others, but the Versamax is my favorite of any of any of them

It's why I shoot a Citori O/U. Seems to cycle shells just fine. :lol3:
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby lovethosesooners » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:04 pm

Citori oughta get er' done all right !
Beautiful guns....I still like my semis though!
lovethosesooners
hunter

Postby BurninPowder » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:24 pm

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtop ... 5&t=244957 here's a link to the 130 page thread on the VM authored by Tujays. Tujays was involved heavily in the early R&D of the VM. Tons of information on the VM in this thread and I researched this thread and many others before making the decision to purchase my VM. I've been very pleased and impressed with my purchase. Just MHO but I believe the VM has many of the "B" gun faithful sweating. Remington has produced an affordable semi whose design is proving to be one of the most reliable developed in recent years.
BurninPowder
hunter

Postby greenbean » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:19 pm

I have the sportsman and a tactical versamax. I think your friend will be pleased and it seems like a great price.

I also think the design will prove itself and this shotgun will be revered as one of the "greats" that his son may be a little too anxious to inherit one day.
greenbean
hunter

Postby TuJays » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:38 am

BurninPowder wrote:http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=244957 here's a link to the 130 page thread on the VM authored by Tujays. Tujays was involved heavily in the early R&D of the VM. Tons of information on the VM in this thread and I researched this thread and many others before making the decision to purchase my VM. I've been very pleased and impressed with my purchase. Just MHO but I believe the VM has many of the "B" gun faithful sweating. Remington has produced an affordable semi whose design is proving to be one of the most reliable developed in recent years.

thanks BP......even more telling than the 130 page topic is how "comment" traffic has slowed down over the last 6 months.
the last post on it was May 21st....this tells me a lot.
Mostly it tells me that there are few or no problems and folks are busy shooting the hell out of them :beer:
I have done so much for so long with so little, I am now qualified to do anything with nothing!
TuJays
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum