ithica 37?

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

ithica 37?

Postby had » Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:07 pm

how does the new ithica stack up with the original? does anyone have experience with each?
This site is about having some fun, learning, helping others, and enjoying the commaradre' of other waterfowl hunters. And if you do not like those 4 things, then do not let the door hit you on the way out of here.
had
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:56 pm

I cann't make any comments on anything after 91 and Mine is a model 87 with the laminated stock made as a Ducks Unlimited Canada gun. I did own a model 37 from new in 75 and a 20 ga from 79 all of them worked flawlessly. The two guns from the 70's had fixed chokes both were modified chokes. The model 87 shoots like a dream chambered for 3" shells, cross bolt safety, vent ribed 28" barrel, sling swivels (quick release), raybar flourescent orange bead, factory installed recoil pad and three choke tubes IC., MOD., & FULL. The finish on the steel is matt. The reciever is steel. I plan on keeping it for all of my hunting life even though my oldest son wants it now. Just a note these guns all were deemed Featherlights.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby Wags » Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:14 pm

I own three Ithaca Mod 37's from the 1940's and 50's. Absolutely wonderful pump shotguns. Smoothest action and best feeling pump shotguns that I own. Unfortunately they all are 2 3/4" chamber and fixed chokes. No matter, I wouldn't trade them for the world.

The newer Mod 37's I believe all have 3" chambers plus screw in choke tube capabilites. From what I've seen and handled of them they are still a very fine pump shotgun.

The only down side to Ithaca Shotguns is the company itself! There re-work quality is terrible, customer service is the worst. I now refuse to deal with them.

If I was a new shooter and wanted a new Ithaca Mod 37, I'd still reccomend one to you. But for any reason it needs to go back to the factory for any type of warranty or repairs, GOOD LUCK.
Wags
hunter

Postby had » Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:08 pm

thanks wags, what i want is a good deal on an older one. but i havn't found the deal i'm looking for yet so i'm considering buying a new one.
This site is about having some fun, learning, helping others, and enjoying the commaradre' of other waterfowl hunters. And if you do not like those 4 things, then do not let the door hit you on the way out of here.
had
hunter

Postby Wags » Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:30 pm

had: I'm not trying to sway you away from buying a new Ithaca Mod 37. Chances are you'll buy one and never have a problem for the rest of your life. They are great shotguns! My experiences with the current Ithaca Gun Company, LLC have not been positive. Love the product, but not the support the company gives their customers. They definately have a customer service problem. There are other firearm company's out there who put the customer first!
Wags
hunter

Postby had » Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:15 pm

no problem wags, thats the kind of info i was looking for.
had
hunter

Postby Felsenthal » Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:06 am

I want a classic with the ringtail forearm.
" Never show up as a guest on a hunt with your dog. Never take the best shooting spot. Leave the call in your pocket. Never ask to come back. Keep your mouth shut after the hunt. Always bring gifts. "
Felsenthal
hunter

Postby Wags » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:07 am

Felsenthal: The new classic Mod 37 is a beautiful shotgun. I've never seen or handled one other than looking at the Ithaca website. Pricey to say the least. And I'm not to crazy about the vented rib they offer........

To save a couple bucks I'd look around forums or maybe a few auction sites and see if you can score an older Mod 37. Start also at your local gun shows. They are anywhere from $250 to $350 from what I've seen.

Myself I prefer the ringtail forearm also. It feels great in your hand and gives you complete control of the shotgun, plus positive working of the action.

In my opinion the Ithaca Mod 37 is a just as good most of today's pump shotguns. They are robust, lightweight, and basically a classic that has stood the test of time. It's sad the current Ithaca Gun Company, LLC has poor customer service, and their re-work that I received was sub-par since they boast of the craftsmanship they provide.

They need to start advertising their products, but since they are so small they can't even keep up with what they manufacture now and I'm talking under 10,000 shotguns a year. When was the last time you saw an Ithaca advertisement in a firearms related magazine? You don't. Mainly they are seen at Gander Mountain or Cabelas, and most people don't even realize they are still in business. My local gunshop won't even deal with them due to poor customer service I was told by the owner.

Other than the slamming I just gave them, I wouldn't give up my three vintage Mod 37's (12ga, 16ga, 20ga.) for anything.
Wags
hunter

Postby BLKLABMAN » Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:34 am

Felsenthal wrote:I want a classic with the ringtail forearm.
\

If you search around, you can find a new Classic for around $500.
BLKLABMAN
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum