Barrel Length

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Barrel Length

Postby Muskrat » Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:25 am

Ok looking to buy an Auto Loader but I'm used to O/U's.
I handled Mossbergs,Stoegers,Benellis,Winchesters,Rems and Brownings yesterday at Cabela's (Wheeling WV.) and Gander Mtn. (Washington Pa.)

Liked how some fit and didn't like others. I prefered the 26" BBL guns over the 28"s. I think because a 26" is like a 28"-30" O/U in overall length.

Does this make any real difference or is this a personal preference thing?
Muskrat
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:55 am

mostly it is a personal preference thing. if you are comfortable shooting it, then it is probably what you want to get.

typically, you would get the shorter length (24") barrel for things like turkey and deer where you are simply aiming and shooting. the longer barrel is for your wingshooting applications with the 28" and the not-as-common 30" barrels being the norm.

bottom line...if you like it. get it.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:40 am

ballisticaly there will be no noticable difference in performance....so the bottom-line is two fold....the 26" barrel will allow a faster swing speed but a shorter sight plane. Since you are used to a sight plane common on OU, I would suggest the 26" barrel on an auto. I believe this becomes even more of an issue with the 3.5" guns because the receivers are that much longer than on the 3" guns. Swing speed and follow-through is so very important to us waterfowlers.

I do not know how the shotgun industry is so set on 28" barrels,.....it may be because for years the 30" was the norm and with the 3" shell it was determined to go with a shorter 28" barell and that became the industry 'standard' for everything except upland specialized guns. Just trying to understand, I do not know this as fact of course.
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Muskrat » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:39 pm

Ok Thanks!
I will most probably go with a 26" bbl.
Now to decide which gun! LOL
I kinda liked the Mossberg 935 best.
My O/Us are Brownings and a Franchi but the Browning Golds just don't fit me.The Rems felt ok but I have friends who have had issues with them,The Stoeger felt GREAT but its so light I bet it would pound me.The Win felt ok too as did the Benelli.
Leaning towards the Mossy 935 at present. It will be awhile before I can generate funds so I'll look about some more!
Muskrat
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:44 pm

as a previous Mossberg owner i would wholeheartedly encourage you to pick one of the other guns you mentioned. if the funds are available to you, go Benelli. it is the only autoloader i've seen that can stand up to the rigors of dirty, wet, muddy, swampy, duck hunting and keep on shooting.

just my .02

-Ed
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby Ducksbeus » Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:55 pm

I havnt shot the mossy, but, I have shot the Winchester and SBE...loved em both. Have seen both guns operate fully in the freezing rain as well. " Go with what feels good" is what momma always says :thumbsup:

:hammering: :hammering: :hammering: :hammering:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby duck hunter cam » Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:00 pm

I shot a SBE & a SB2 sweet gun. I got a Franchi 3/12 inch. Max 4 Camo. Semi Auto sweet gun got it for X-mas from my dad...never shot a Mossy.
It's only sky busting if u miss.
duck hunter cam
hunter

Postby Muskrat » Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:36 pm

I will probably go with a Mossberg for starters due to I have a Big Game hunt coming up thats setting me back $5K.
I have never hunted ducks or geese and just wanta try it out as it looks like fun.
So I'm really thinking entry level gun and then if I get eat up with this duck/goose hunting I will buy whatever it takes if the Mossberg doesn't pan out! LOL
Muskrat
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:18 pm

good luck to ya!!
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby Muskrat » Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:50 pm

Well I'm still undecided at this point. Been reading here and at other forums.
Seems all have had issues of some kind with every make made. One gets Brand A and it never misses a lick for 10 years the next guy gets one and it won't work straight from the box.
I guess its alot like cars buy 2 of the same and there will be differences.

I have a Mossberg 500 that has been abused to the point it shouldn't work yet it has never missed a beat. Got lucky I guess,well in fact I did get lucky I won it on a $2.00 Raffle! :yes:
Muskrat
hunter

Postby CALLEMQUACKTN » Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:08 pm

I think that the mossberg is great choice. I have 2 & my wife has 1. make sure you get one with scew in chokes. I have used my for everything from shooting to paddling. Gun unloaded my 2 cents. :smile:
CALLEMQUACKTN
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:36 pm

I'm another supporter of Mossberg 'rat'.....and I have all makes of shotguns including Benelli, Ithaca, Browning, Remington, Stoeger and Beretta.....but only the Stoeger is new this year (older guns are ALOT better than today's IMO)....you may want to look at the new 3" version of the 935...I have a feeling that these will be better out of the box than the 3.5" version.
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby huntmq1 » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:40 pm

Mossy is a great choice. IMO you can't really go wrong. I own 5 with the newest being the 935 in Max4 camo. Love them all. Plus 10 years of warranty isn't bad either.
:salude:
Hey, did you grab the blind bag with the shells when we left the truck?
Safetys, use them: If you can see red, you can get dead!
huntmq1
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:31 pm

Just personal preference (when you get down to 26-28 inchers)

Hope ya get a good gun,
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:40 pm

Ballistically the length does not matter. But shorter barrels are indeed louder for what ever reason. especially 24" are deafening load.... worse than porteed barels I MO. shorter barealls are better for close in work like ruffed grouse hunting, but longer barrels woiht the longer plain of view are better for longer crossing shots. I personally preffer a 28" in a semi, I had a 26" and sold it as I did not like the feel of it several years back.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby donell67 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:46 pm

26 inch barrels seem to short. i have always shot 28 inch barrels and always will.just personal preference.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby TWO GSPS » Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:12 pm

I think the longer barrels also keep the gun moving better than shorter ones. Its easier to stop shorter barrels then longer ones, kinetic energy. I hope you enjoy your gun, and if you're just starting hunting ducks be warned, its terribly adictive! :salude:
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HUNT WITH AN UGLY DOG.
TWO GSPS
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum