First Shotty

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

First Shotty

Postby uttackle71 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:28 pm

I have been recently revived in shotgun sports and am looking to purchase my first shotgun. Recently i have been leaning towards the autoloader catagory and more specifically the beretta al391 urika2 and the remington 1100 g3. opinions on these two guns and any other advice is greatly appreciated.

p.s. what are the differences in the urika and urika2 models

and also wood vs. synthetic which do you suggest and why
uttackle71
Newb

Postby Drop Zone » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:00 pm

All depends on what you're gonna do with it. Clays, upland game, waterfowl??? Are you gonna be getting it really dirty, if you're gonna hunt with it and you're gonna hunt a lot you're probably gonna get it pretty dirty. Give us some more info on your intended use and we'll be able to help more.
Drop Zone
hunter

Clay

Postby uttackle71 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:48 pm

Well i believe this post was origonally in target shooting but anyway i am going to be shooting primarily clay targets whether its trap sporting or skeet maybe a little hunting whether it be various birds or even deer because i can get slug barrels for both these but that would be further down the line. i mention these two guns based on how i feel they fit me. i am very comfortable with these two guns the beretta alittle more than the remington and they are similarly priced. just looking for an opinion on these guns or suggestions on similar guns
uttackle71
Newb

Postby Drop Zone » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:39 pm

I've have Rem 1100 and a beretta (not the same model) and love both of them and think you will too. If they are priced about the same then I'd go with the beretta just because it's a beretta and I feel they are a notch above the remington. If your not going to be beating the tar out of it then get the wood. It simply looks better than synthetic. The only reason I would ever buy synthetic is for my "hunting" gun b/c It will get abused. Just my 2 cents.
Drop Zone
hunter

Postby duckplucker » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:38 pm

I can't help you much on the kinds of shotguns- i havent handled any of those guns. whatever you get though, make sure it shoulders well for you.
As for wood vs synthtic, its a taste type of situation. A synthetic stock is generally lighter, easier to clean mud off, and if you get the gun wet, its easier on synthetic and hard on wood if it happens very frequently. But a wood stock gives a gun a more conventional look, and some feel its the only stock a gun should have. I have guns with wood stocks, and guns with synthetic. Really don't prefer one to the other. I'll also mention that if put through rough, heavy use, synthetic is likely to hold up better and not show scratches, nics or other marks of use. go with what you like best.
"Take 'em"
duckplucker
hunter

Postby thaner » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:33 pm

:welcome: For a target gun go wood. The 1100 is a proven performer on targets and game and superior to the 11-87 particularly on targets. It is extremely dependable. My 1100 has 30 yr. of use including years of heavy competitive shooting with ZERO issues. While the lower lines of Rem shotguns are not what the upper lines are, as far as I am concerned the upper line guns are still solid and dependable. The Beretta 390 is my all time favorite auto due to the stock shim system and mag cut off features. The 391 is ok, but I like the 390 better. There are differences between the U1 and U2, but for a target gun I think the big one is the stock dimensions. Try them both for fit. I like the U2 better and it will probably be a closer comparison to the 1100. The U2 also can come with the KO stock if you want to go that way, but for primarily targets and light hunting I wouldn’t spend the $. The other features of the U2 upgrades will probably not amount to much for your usage. In the end try them and pick the one that fits better. Keep in mind you can adjust the drop on the Beretta if it doesn’t fit quite right. The Rem will fit or not. Given you don’t know what a good fitting shotgun should be it may be best to have one you can adjust. Good luck and have fun. :thumbsup:
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby mallard molester » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:23 pm

how is the 1100 superior to the 11-87 for targets
mallard molester
hunter

Postby thaner » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:31 pm

Dependability is what I have been told by quite a few people who have had and extensively shot both guns. The 11-87 has the edge on being able to shoot a wider variety of loads, but if you are just shooting target loads the simpler system in the 1100 seams to stand up better with fewer issues. I know of a lot of 1100’s and very few issues, and more than a couple 11-87’s with issues. I think the 11-87 OK, just that the 1100 seams to have an edge when it comes to high volume shooting over time. Let’s put it this way, the 11-87 was the replacement for the 1100. So far the 1100 is still around and still a favorite of target shooter. It has not been replaced and doesn’t look like it will be any time soon.
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby mallard molester » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:05 pm

that makes sense thanks
mallard molester
hunter

Postby sigep538 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:25 am

I know I LOVE my Beretta 390, fits like a glove but thats just it it dosent really matter which gun you buy both are great look at something in the store (a dot 50 yards away), concentrate then close your eyes, pull the gun up and open your eyes. which gun is on target? that is how you will know. I went through shotguns like girlfriends! sniff sniff I finally found the one! (shotgun) :biggrin:
Be men for if we are not men we canot be brothers. Fall 96
Teal 5
Canada 1
Ruddy 1
Gadwall 2
Ring-necked 4
Canvasback 1
Mallard 1
Spoonie 2
tree rats 15
doves 1
dragonflies 2
Deer 1
sigep538
hunter

Postby jph4387 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:52 pm

I wish I could tell you something about the Remington but I can't. I was in your shoes trying to decide on a new shotgun a few years ago. I went with the Beretta and have never looked back. I love the gun. It fits me very well and it's effortless to shoot.

As for synthetic vs. wood, like everyone else said, it depends on what you are going to use for. My Beretta is wood and the stocks are really good looking. If you're using it for upland birds and clays the wood will be fine. If you're going to hunt waterfowl, I'd go synthetic. I hunt ducks with mine now but I don't like having to take it into some of the impoundments I hunt. Lucky for me I bought a Remington 870 in synthetic this morning. It is going to be my duck gun and use the Beretta for everything else. Hope this helps
"Whack 'em, stack 'em and pack 'em."

-Ted Nugent
jph4387
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:01 pm

Fit is the most important thing. If you aren't comfortable you won't shoot well. that said, I don't know why you'd go with an 1100 for target shooting only. They are awfully heavy. As far as dependability, my first gun was an 1100. I have been shooting it for the last 20 years and have never had one single issue with it at all. Its never been to a gun shop for anything. they are dependable workhorses that always do what they are asked.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum