How about this?

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

How about this?

Postby puddlerjumper » Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:53 am

I was in a gunshop the other day which was going out of business. As I walked by the used gun rack, something caught my eye. It was a pre-64 Winchester Model 50 with a 28" MOD. I currently own a Winchester model 50 that was built in 55. Now, I'm going to say this now, I have never shot an auto, well, any gun for that matter, that was as reliable as this gun. My gun looks like its been to hell and back. But you talk about smooth as silk. It was passed on to me by my grandfather. I decided to use it on doves last year and ran out of daylight before I could limit out. I had no problem killing a good mess of doves that weekend. There is something about the Model 50 line that I love, maybe it is how they all fit me like a glove. But back to the original topic. The gun I saw was gorgeous, didn't look like it had a scratch on it. I fell in love with the gun, and am reconsidering buying an o/u. They had it priced at 500, and then it was 15% off of that. So, it should come out under 450. I really don't care how high the price is on this gun, I don't care if its been reblued. The way I look at it, with as hard as it is to find a good looking model 50, I know they won't be available much longer. They get more rare by the day. I was thinking though, do you guys have any thoughts or opinions on the model 50? I would use it so I can put the beat up one back in the safe and keep it for my kids and pass it on. If I get it and decide to use it for ducks, I may just install a poly choke. What about the Winchester 1400 or the Model 59? I saw some of those when I was looking around Guns America.
puddlerjumper
hunter

Postby vikingsfan » Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:37 pm

oh yeah i remember you asking the guy about that gun i think?
vikingsfan
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Sun May 01, 2005 7:51 am

puddler,

it sounds like you have already made your mind up. if you feel that the model 50 is right for you then this is a no-brainer. buy it. the only concern i could see with getting a shotgun this old is parts availability if something needs to be repaired/replaced. check with winchester to see if they can still service this gun. if so, go for it and use the hang out of it.
shrpshtr
hunter

Re: How about this?

Postby h2ofwlr » Sun May 01, 2005 1:11 pm

puddlerjumper wrote:talk about smooth as silk. how they all fit me like a glove.

I think that summs it up in my mind. :thumbsup:
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Shotgun Forum