Waterfowl Sights

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Waterfowl Sights

Postby Trigger81 » Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:20 pm

Hey guys, I bought a Stoeger Model 2000 and it only has a front beed. How do i get a front beed for it do i have to have my sight rib drilled and tapped for a front beed.
Trigger81
Trigger81
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:35 pm

Check my response on the other site. Again, I don't believe you need a fiber optic sight on a duck gun. I have one on my turkey gun for shooting stationary targets, but you will shoot much better with perhaps no bead at all.

Should be a screw in front bead.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:25 pm

Don't worry about the front bead, When wingshooting with a shotgun, you don't even need to look at the barrel. Head on the gun, eyes on the target, when it feels good pull the trigger. I shot two skeet leagues without a front bead. If you stop to look at the front bead or the barrel (measuring the distance) then what really happens is your taking your eye off the target. When you do that you will stop the gun. even if it is for a second. but it will be to late. you missed it. Your buddy will tell you you were behind it. When you are behind a target, that is not the problem, that is the result of the problem.

Sorry i went off on a tangent. Basically if you want a pretty site on the front of your gun, get it. Just don't look at it.

Like ks said, shooting a stationary target like with a riffle, then you will use the front site.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Re: Waterfowl Sights

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:20 am

Trigger81 wrote:Hey guys, I bought a Stoeger Model 2000 and it only has a front beed. How do i get a front beed for it do i have to have my sight rib drilled and tapped for a front beed.

What I get out of that post, is that your new gun has a front bead, but you want to know how to install a front bead..... hmmmmmm.

Mabey you should clarify for us. :thumbsup:
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:39 am

Ive read some books and they say if your using a shotgun dont use it like a rifle, look at the target and just follow it throught with the gun and shoot it, i wish it was that easy for me, ive never adapted to this and aim my shotgun like a rifle still after many tries of just looking at the target.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby ACEBLDRS » Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:14 pm

goose boy. I shoot with skeet with some guys who shoot in rifle comps. They have big problems adjusting to a shotgun. They allways want to look back at the beed. When you do this you are taking your eye off the target and stopping the gun. Evey if you think you arn't you are. you will be behind the target almost every time this way.

Here is an example. I don't know if you are of driving age or not, but, if you are driving down a long strait stretch of hiway. If you take your eye off of the road and start watching a pond of ducks on the right side. After a while you will slightly drift that way. Same thing kindof happens with shooting.

hope i didn't confuse you.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby Gooseboy » Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:35 pm

I understand, the only place ive droven is a small town in Mexico with my uncles 67 ford pick up.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby cooter » Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:54 am

Strictly speaking about wing shooting. I like the Vented Rib, but they could leave the beads off totally, and I would be good with it. The only way I can see a bead helping at all would be for turkey, deer or any stationary target.

Wing shooting requires both eyes to be open, which really eliminates the bead, in my opinion. This is also why I don't use a Hy-Viz bead, it tends to draw your focus to the bright color, instead of the target which is darker and farther out. Making it harder to pick up the target, with a bright point in between your eye and the target.

Wing Shooting is POINTING the gun, not aiming it, which means the focus is on the target, not the bead. You could take the bead off most wing shooters guns and they would never notice. cooter
member of: Team GREEN
cooter
hunter

Postby had » Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:04 pm

acebldrs wrote:
If you take your eye off of the road and start watching a pond of ducks on the right side. After a while you will slightly drift that way

happens to me all the time! :toofunny:
This site is about having some fun, learning, helping others, and enjoying the commaradre' of other waterfowl hunters. And if you do not like those 4 things, then do not let the door hit you on the way out of here.
had
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum