Breaking In A New Shotgun

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Breaking In A New Shotgun

Postby okiequacker » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:25 am

How do you guys break-in your new shotgun?
I will be picking up my new Browning Gold hunter 3 1/2" mag. next week. This is how I have broken in my current browning 3" mag.
I will shoot about 10-15 rounds of 2 3/4" #6's. Then shoot about 1 box of 3" mag's. Then shoot about 8 boxes of 1 1/8" #8's. Then I go dove hunting! By the time duck season gets here, I will be good and ready!

this is my first 3 1/2" gun....any special break-in tips?
Tom Cook
Born and raised in Arkansas flooded timber!
okiequacker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ACEBLDRS » Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:08 pm

I've never thought about breaking in a new gun, now a baseball glove yes. A gun, I know that when they come out of the box they should have a good coat of lubricant on them. Look them over for anything that looks funny. Then go shoot the hell out of it. I think a gun should go from box to 60 without any problems. If there is a problem, you still have plenty of time to take the o'll terd back and exchange it. :smile:

Disclaimer. read the owners manual. :yes:
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby Swamp Puppy » Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:54 pm

i don't believe that you need to worry about breaking in your new scattergun. give it a good cleaning and follow the owner's guide for the proper places to oil the new gun and then go have at it.

i know that some people believe strongly in breaking in a new rifle barrel to ensure spot on accuracy and reliable tight grouping, but it don't believe it is a concern with a shotgun.

of course, read your owner's manual and follow any guidelines that they may have for initial use.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:38 am

:withstupid:

From my experiece, a well made shotgun like that shouldnt need to be "broken in", they do a good job at the factory of lubing, cleaning, etc....

I have one, and it shot just fine out of the box :thumbsup:
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby okiequacker » Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:03 am

I guess what I'm getting at is I have heard that with the new automatics that shoot 3 1/2" mag's will, in the beginning, not eject light loads until you have shot some heavier loads thru it. We always have a big clay shoot in August and I don't want to go out and that be the first time to shoot alot of rounds thru it and it jam trying to throw those short brass out.
Tom Cook
okiequacker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duckbuster » Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:08 am

never heard of braking in a new gun, now if u buy a traditions semi-auto....thow it away ull do better throwin rocks cuz it doesnt eject crap.
Just making my way the only way i know how!
duckbuster
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:25 pm

It anit like a motor or a new girl friend. :toofunny: It should be good to go right out of the box, but do read the instructions from the manufacturer as there may be some things that they recomend.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby take em' 77 » Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:07 pm

:withstupid:
take em' 77
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:42 pm

sounds like a valid question Okie, i can't say that i have ever heard that myself, but i tend to lean more towards the doubles and pump guns. what brand of gun is it? i have heard that some "magnum" autos have troubles with lighter loads, but it is supposedly inherent and not a break in issue.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:47 pm

Greg Wile wrote:It anit like a motor or a new girl friend. :toofunny:

AHAHAH HAHAHAH HHAHAHHA!!

YES!! (to the motor part of course :mrgreen: )

-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby okiequacker » Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:59 am

hahaha!...well...I have never heard of breaking in an auto either...but some guys I have talked to said that as a "new" gun, it would not throw the light loads all the time...but that once they shot it for a bit it never jammed after that....
Tom Cook
okiequacker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Ducksbeus » Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:57 am

Fire away :yes: :yes: :yes: A good cleaning goes a long way...word of advice....do not over lube. Enjoy your new gun....she's a dandy :thumbsup:

:hammering: :hammering: :hammering: :hammering:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby bullet » Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:40 pm

Break it in like you stole it. Just start shooting :thumbsup:
bullet
hunter

Postby muddydogs » Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:48 am

Since I only shoot pump guns I guess this only applies to them but I like to shoot a few hundred trap loads in them before the season, not so much to break them in but to smooth out the action. There is a lot to be said for a smooth pump gun. I suppose you could sit around the house and work the action for a while but you might as well get a little practice in while you are at it.
muddydogs
Newb

Postby frazier2209 » Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:57 am

okie, most 3.5" guns will not eject light loads anyways. Like the cheap 7/8 oz. field loads. I don't care if the manufacturer says they will, cause the won't.
Also, on the breakin in part. Take the gun apart and make sure you wipe off all that white packing grease. (you'll see it)
frazier2209
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:18 pm

frazier2209 wrote:okie, most 3.5" guns will not eject light loads anyways. Like the cheap 7/8 oz. field loads. I don't care if the manufacturer says they will, cause the won't.

Sorry fraz, I have to disagree.

I have used many 3.5 autos, and have never had an issue w/ it......

-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:20 pm

several guys in my skeet league shoot the SBE II's and they use low base AA's and they shoot and eject just fine. they are probably shooting like a 2 1/2 dram or something runnin around 1200 fps.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

ACEBLDRS

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:22 pm

Yeah, the ones ive used were like 1 or 1 1/8 oz. never tried a 7/8.....but that shouldnt make that much of a diff.

-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby frazier2209 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:00 am

ACEBLDRS wrote:several guys in my skeet league shoot the SBE II's and they use low base AA's and they shoot and eject just fine. they are probably shooting like a 2 1/2 dram or something runnin around 1200 fps.

ace, their shootin SBE2's they use the inertia thing. MOST of the gas recoil semi's won't eject them cheap 7/8oz. loads.
frazier2209
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:47 am

O.K. works for me. I don't know a lot about these guns, I just shootem. :thumbsup:

Dirty Harry

ACEBLDRS

Postby liv2hunt » Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:02 pm

Well I will divert from the common thought here on this thread. I dont know if they applies to the Gold, as I think it only applies to inertia guns. I was told when I bought my SBE I that I was to run some high brass field loads through the gun to break in the recoil spring. I was told that unless I did that the gun would have trouble cycling light field loads in the future. I have also read over on the Benelli forum that is what a lot of guys do and suggest it being done.

Now that is just for inertia guns. I would imagine that it would not apply to gas guns like the Gold. I think if you just take it out, give it a good overall cleaning and oiling and you would be good to go.

Great gun you got there, enjoy it.

:thumbsup:
liv2hunt
hunter

Get ready for the misfires okiequacker

Postby ocmulgee » Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:14 am

I hope the salesman aint the one that told you they will sometimes not kick out light loads. Thats not a auto problem. Thats a Browning problem. I've had 2 Gold hunters that after shooting 20-30 cases through them began not kicking the shells out. One word of advice... SELL IT AND BUY A BERETTA.
ocmulgee
Newb

Return to Shotgun Forum