NEED HELP WITH SHELLS!!

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

NEED HELP WITH SHELLS!!

Postby Trigger81 » Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:47 am

Which ones have you had good luck with Winchester Supreme High-Velocity Shotshells or Federal PremiumĀ® Ultra-Shok Heavy High Velocity Steel? I want some detail hear boys espaecially if you shoot a BERETTA, BENELLI, or STOEGER.....

"Theres never been a better time to be a waterfowler"- Buck Gardner
CHEERS TO THAT :salude: :salude: :salude: :salude: :salude:
Trigger81
Trigger81
hunter

Postby the_duckinator » Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:19 am

Both are good, I tend to go with the Federals. My dad gets a nice pattern with them out of his Beretta. I'll buy whichever's cheapest but if I had a choice I'd go with the federals.
49% of us didn't vote for him.

Sorry World (we tried)--half of America

3 nations under Bush's God.
the_duckinator
hunter

Postby Quackcephus » Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:23 am

My favorites are Winchester Supremes. I shoot an 870 Super Mag, but I can tel ya this. I was on a duck hunt over rice fields in Arkansas on year. Me & my cousin were shootin' Winchester Supremes & everyone else was shootin' Estates, Kents, Wnchester X-Pert... we were killin' 'em dead & shot about 1/2 as many shells. 'Em boys shootin' the cheap shells wore out 2 dawgs that mornin' runnin' down their cripples. :pissed:

If yer gonna go cheap on huntin' gear... shells ain't it, you'll definately be dissapointed & shoot 2 to 3x as many to do the job of 1 quality shell. :yes:
Quackcephus
hunter

Postby Ducksbeus » Sun Jun 19, 2005 3:54 pm

Best advice I got...pattern YOUR gun with several brands, loads, chokes, and pellet sizes. You will be amazed at the differences. My Nova patterned great with the cheapo Winchester 3.5" #3's w/ modified choke. My Beretta patterns better with 3" #2 Federals with a full choke. ALL guns pattern differently with different loads and chokes. Try it...you'll get a real eye opener :yes:

:hammering: :hammering: :hammering: :hammering: :hammering:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby the_duckinator » Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:17 pm

If you really want a good shell just buy Hevi Shot. It kills 'em clean. I've never had to chase a bird that got hit with Hevi Shot. It's hard on the birds and your wallet though.
the_duckinator
hunter

What does a good pattern look like?

Postby canadagoose » Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:39 pm

I finally took the time to pattern my gun this weekend, and shot Remington 7 1/2 lead, Kent FastSteel #3, and some Heavyshot #2. I also tried IC, IM, and F chokes. The pattern board was 40 yards out. One thing I noticed is that there were definite holes in all the patterns, big enough for a clay to get through if it was lucky. I had expected to see a nice neat circle of shot with no holes for some combination, but that wasn't the case.

So what would people consider a good pattern at 40 yards?
canadagoose
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:38 am

I cant give you a good comparison because I havnt tried the Winchesters, But the Federals seem to work great for me!

Best of luck,
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby Ducksbeus » Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:02 am

Here y'all go:

www.gunnersden.com/index.htm.shotgun-patterning.html

Just click link above
Y'all have a nice day! :cool:

:hammering: :hammering: :hammering: :hammering: :hammering:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby tstrong » Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:10 pm

Nice article, Thanks
tstrong
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:31 am

never had any real good luck w/ Federal - will not buy their shotgun ammo (although I do use it in .308).

I have been doing well the past three seasons with Winchester high velocity XPERT. I do not feel there is any need for the expense of the Supremes. IMO the bottom line is that they are all the same.
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Ducksbeus » Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:17 am

Common complaint of the xperts, is that they have some imperfect pellets, and, may blow a pattern out. I use them as they are cheap, and, Im married with children :thumbsup: Y'all have a nice day! :yes:

:hammering: :hammering: :hammering:
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby mallardman77 » Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:15 pm

winchester=bad.
feds=good.
remington=awsome.
:hammering: :hammering: :hammering:
Is it september the 8th yet???

mallardman77
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum