NEED HELP BUYING A SHOTGUN

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

NEED HELP BUYING A SHOTGUN

Postby wardie » Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:06 pm

hey i am looking for a nice farely reliable (kinda cheap) 12 gauge. i mainly hunt blacks, goldeneyes and mergansers, anyone out there have any ideas
wardie
hunter

Postby duckdog » Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:33 pm

Depend's on what you want, a pump, or a automatic. If it's a pump your after there are several good gun's reasnably priced, like an 870 express, 835 mossberg, or a bennelli nova. Auto's are a little more, looked at some Stoeger's on the net, and they seemed very reasnable to me , don't know there quality though, Chareles Daily is another auto, that is'nt to spendy, again not sure of the quality. Another thing to remmeber is duck hunting can be rough on gun's that is why I mainly use an 870 express for it instead of my other gun's. That way when I ding it on the boat, or get it wet and muddy, it does'nt bother me to much. Good luck
Any day in the outdoor's is better than at work
duckdog
hunter

Postby donell67 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:55 pm

nova all the way. :thumbsup:
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Ducksbeus » Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:10 pm

Shoulder several BEFORE ya buy. Fit should be your main concern, however, Im married with children...price is a big issue. I have several other guns, but, I wanted a depandable do all shotgun for dux...Got me a Nova...cheap, dependable, light wieght, 3.5" chamber, built in sling loops, 3 screw in chokes, indestructable, kicks hard and kills em dead. I can roll in the mud, play in the snow, or, hunt ALL day in the freezing rain...If it breaks, gets lost, or, whatever...buy a new one. At $299...its disposable :thumbsup: Y'all have a nice day! :yes:

:hammering: :hammering: :hammering: :hammering: :hammering:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:41 pm

Fit should be #1 consideration, them type (pump, semi, o/u) and then price and features.

I love the Win SX2s! :thumbsup:
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby the_duckinator » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:40 pm

Mossberg 500. It's a workhorse, it'll take a lickin' and keep on tickin'. Drop it in the lake, muck, etc. and it'll still shoot. Not the prettiest gun, but its VERY reliable and nice and cheap. It's also got a thumb safety, which is much more instinctive than the trigger guard safeties. If you do any jump shooting or upland hunting this safety is very nice (same safety as O/U's and SXS's). You can get the 500 with a smoothbore and a slug barrel for less than what a Nova costs, and it only comes with one barrel. Plus Nova's rattle and look funny. Get a 500, you won't be disappointed
49% of us didn't vote for him.

Sorry World (we tried)--half of America

3 nations under Bush's God.
the_duckinator
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:12 pm

the_duckinator wrote:Mossberg 500. It's a workhorse, it'll take a lickin' and keep on tickin'. Drop it in the lake, muck, etc. and it'll still shoot. Not the prettiest gun, but its VERY reliable and nice and cheap. It's also got a thumb safety, which is much more instinctive than the trigger guard safeties. If you do any jump shooting or upland hunting this safety is very nice (same safety as O/U's and SXS's). You can get the 500 with a smoothbore and a slug barrel for less than what a Nova costs, and it only comes with one barrel. Plus Nova's rattle and look funny. Get a 500, you won't be disappointed

Dude, Could NOT have said it better myself!!!

Mossberg w/ their Thumb Saftey all the way!!! :salude:
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby DROPDUX » Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:03 am

Stouff & Duckinator,

Sorry to say this (and I know you are all about mossbergs) to me, the mossy 500 FEELS like it was made by a 12 year old and his erector set. I have never shot one; this is because everytime I pick one up I throw it back down after I pump it a few times. I do like the safety mech though and especially the price. Since you stand by them I'm sure they shoot great. I buy for the feel of the gun and it's not my kind of feel. My next will be a Browing BPS. I like pumps, I'm left handed, thumb safety, and $379 @ bass pro (right around the corner from my house). Sorry guys

Love,
DropDux
DROPDUX
hunter

Postby the_duckinator » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:06 am

A 12 year old? Come on, they had to be at least 14 lol. As I said its not the prettiest but it'll spit out whatever you throw in it. I agree, there are better fitting guns but with a little practice you'll be able to drop whatever has the misfortune of flying in front of you. $379 for a pump? For an extra $50 you can get a 935 (yes, another mossberg, but its a semi auto). Nice choice on safeties though.
49% of us didn't vote for him.

Sorry World (we tried)--half of America

3 nations under Bush's God.
the_duckinator
hunter

Postby Ducksbeus » Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:03 pm

Had the wife shouldering SEVERAL yute models...the mossy's fore end is MUCH closer than ALL the rest. Thinking bout gettin one for her ta shoot, and, the 7 year old to grow into. That extra inch or two made a HUGE difference...TRY BEFORE YOU BUY :thumbsup:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum