Duck Hunting Forum banner

CAN ANYOINE TELL ME HOW TO TELL A BEGIUM BROWNING?

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  take em' 77 
#1 ·
I WAS THINKING OF BUYING A BROWNING A-5 , IT HAS 2 BARRELS AND I THINK ONE IS 23/4 AND THE OTHER IS 3 INCH, IT JUST HAS A PLAIN BARREL, FULL CHOKE, CAN ANYONE OUT THERE TELL ME HOW I CAN TELL IF ITS AN ORIGINAL BELGIUM BROWNING , OR IS THIS A STUPID QUESTION? ALSO CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT I SHOULD PAY FOR THIS GUN? I THINK THE GUY THATS SELLING IT SAID IT WAS ABOUIT 25 YEARS OLD

#2 ·
wardie my grandfather has a a browing 16 gauge that is over 30 years old....it is not the sweet 16 but it is the exact same gun except for the trigger....we recently took the gun to a gun collector to have it appraised..just for kicks...he said the gun could be worth between 1500 and 2000 dollars but what was rally surprising is that there is no such thing as a belgium made browning!!! :eek: ....he told us even if the gun says made in belgium it was still made here in the U.S. i had never heard this before and thought it was pretty surprising...just lettin' you know

#3 ·
The auto-5 was produced by F.N.(Fabrique National) of Belgum starting in 1952 until the 70's I believe.(Production after that was in Japan). My Auto-5 was produced in 1965. It had a butt plate on it marked Browning Automatic on it with the F.N. marking in the middle.As for the barrels, they should be stamped *special steel-12 guage-shells 2 3/4 or 3" (on my barrels this is stamped on the right side) On the left side it should be stamped Made in Belgum. The simplest way to date your gun is through the serial #. If you can get the serial#(located on the bottom of the reciever at the front of the loading port) you can find the year of production here:

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgw ... -5-history

I can't say how much this gun is worth in U.S. funds, but in Canada they go for between 350-500 bucks. I love My Auto-5. It is extremely reliable(you must keep the action clean) and so easy to handle.

If you need any more help, let me know.

Kris :salude:

My auto-5:
[siteimg]672[/siteimg][/img]

#5 ·
i think the reason for the price of the gun is because of the condition it is in the gun is literaly in perfect condition...and as far as the guns not being made in belgium i didnt say i believed him :toofunny: although another guy that i met at a hunting camp told me the same story about how no browinings were ever made in belgium...??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.