Duck Hunting Forum banner

NIB 935 vs Used SX3

3K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  creole 
#1 ·
Looking at 2 guns locally. One is a NIB 935 in Mossy Oak break up. The other is a used synthetic SX3 3" gun. I believe both are 26" barrel. Not sure if the SX3 is the black shadow or the older composite model. It appears to have been shot very little with very few handling marks on it. Both guns are priced at $600. I am leaning toward the SX3 My brother has a 930 and really likes it, so I wanted to get some other opinions. I know the SX3 has a better track record, but does the camo and 3.5" capacity close the gap? I'm not real sure I would shoot anything more than a 3" shell any way.

#4 ·
I have a 935. I really like it. Haven't had any problems with it, and the overbored design patterns great.

I picked it up, very gently used for $375.

In your situation I would probably buy the SX3. The SX3 will hold it's value. I had trouble getting a fit with my 935, the LOP was too short for me and I was getting it slammed into my cheek bone, causing pain when shooting and making me shoot high to the left. I thought about selling it, Cabelas offered me $175 for it. They just don't hold there value, so I would be hesitant to buy one new. They also charge a lot more for the camo on the new guns, which doesn't make it any more reliable.

I think the 935 is not that great of a deal for a new gun.... a A300 or Versamax Sportsman is a better value on a new gun, but I think the 935 is an excellent value for a used gun ( can probably find one for $300-$400 dollars).

I think that is a fair/ good price on the SX3.... if you love it you can always get it custom dipped or cerakoted for $150 and will have more/ cooler color/pattern options than the factory ones.

One more thing... 3.5 " was important to me when picking out a gun. I have never shot a 3.5" shell out of it.... 3" work just fine, and I probably would be just fine with 2.75" (may switch this year)

#8 ·
I have 2 935's one I've had since 2005 and one I've had for one season. Both of them have been flawless! Not one hiccup! They way out pattern every other shotgun I own hands down (including my invector plus BPS which is the same barrel and choke as the SX3) and I never shoot anything larger than a 3" shell. Nothing at all wrong with Mossberg unless you have brand name envy.

Having said that - $600 for a slightly used SX3 is a heck of a deal and that's the one I'd go with if it were me choosing and it fit me good. Either gun will shoot better than you do but the SX3 will hold it's value better in the long run.

Cajun1

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.