Shotgunning tips

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Shotgunning tips

Postby bullet » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:26 am

There's alot of young bucks here in this forum and I'd like to hear some key tips some of you guys have learned over the years. They might help us as well.
When I was younger a older guy once told me 90% of all missed birds were shot behind the target. He also said that a "Shotstring (distance from the first shot leaving the barrel to the last) can be anywhere from 7-10 feet. With this info, if you think your too far out in front, believe me by the time the end of the shotstring gets there you won't be.
Most people I've asked think a shotstring is 2ft 3ft long. It is longer than you think. Knowing this over the years has helped me become a better shotgunner.
bullet
hunter

Postby cooter » Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:02 am

:yes: :yes: :thumbsup: :yes: :yes:

But do you have a 3.85gpa. :tounge:

Yep, if you are missing, increase your lead. Then make sure you a continuing the swing THROUGH the shot. I think these are the 2 biggest problems. cooter
member of: Team GREEN
cooter
hunter

Postby Ducksbeus » Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:05 am

Pattern your shotgun from a standing position. My Nova seems ta shoot the thickest part of its pattern a little low and right. I remember this when judging me lead. Y'all have a nice day :thumbsup:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby take em' 77 » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:35 pm

tell my buddies all the time that their not leading enough.....but do they listen? nooooo
Last edited by take em' 77 on Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
take em' 77
hunter

Postby easternshorehunter » Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:06 pm

something that i picked up is shooting with both eyes open. it takes a little to get used to, but it is well worth it IMO. it is using your hand eye coordination to shoot, just like shooting a bow instinctively and it really works awesome on the fast moving targets :thumbsup:
easternshorehunter
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:33 pm

Practice practivce, practice. That is how to be abetter shot. Do not expect to be shooting well if you have not picked up the gun since the end of the last season. Get out a few times before the start of the season to skeet of sporting clays range. :thumbsup:
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ACEBLDRS » Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:18 pm

Head on the gun! Eye on the target! Just get out in front and pull the trigger! Its not presice target shooting, its friggin handgranades!

When people say they shot behind the bird, most of the time is because they took their eye off of it for a second to look back at the barrel to check their lead. Then they pulled the trigger and missed behind the bird. When you take your eye off the target, your gun stops. Making you miss the bird in the back. Happens every night at the skeet field. By increasing your lead your not fixing the problem, your just crutching it. Keep your eye on the target. your gun will get to the right spot with hand eye cordination and a lot of practice. my .02 anyway!
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby hamernhonkers » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:00 pm

I think the biggest problem I see with shooters is flock shooting. Its to easy to look at more than one bird in the flock. The other problem I see with most people is they think about the shots they miss And spend to much time worrying about what they did and forget to just shoot with instinct.
If you can get to the clay range as much as possible and practice. And don't second guess a missed shot. The biggest problem we all face in anything is doubting in ourselves and our ability. :smile:
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby bullet » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:01 pm

All good stuff.
I agree with you Ace. I shoot sporting clays and we have about 18 stations. All different types of shots from 25 yards all the way to 65 yards angling in at you, to Teal jumpers etc. When we're shooting I always get asked the same question "Were'd I miss" The answer is always the same. Behind.
All I'm saying is with a 7-10 foot shotstring get out in front and shoot. Let some of the last shot in the string play a little. Its been proven just under 9 out of 10 missed shots at the range are behind. But I agree, head down on the target
bullet
hunter

Postby hunter18372 » Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:24 am

The best advice to a new shotgunner (even long time shooters) is to take a lesson or two from a good instructor.
The basics have to be mastered first. You must develope a GOOD REPEATABLE GUNMOUNT FIRST. This is a must , then you can have your shotgun properly fiitted. When both these are accomplished it is just a matter of practice.
All focus can then be on the target ,with the exclusion of everything else. Shooting low gun skeet is the best place to develope your shooting ability. Once that is mastered move to sporting clays , just remember to shoot low gun. Learn all the methods , swing thru, sustained and pull away. Then it's just a matter of practice, practice, practice.
hunter18372
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:06 pm

Dont quit just because you didnt do good your first time. :hammering: :thumbsup: :hammering:
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby gunman » Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:27 pm

when first learning to shoot, make sure your not wearing any baggy jackets or anything, to easy to get the stock of the shotgun caught in the jacket when trying to mount in a hurry, until you get your pattern down....
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.
--------------------
Hunters are alot like Birdwatchers. Only after watching while, we start shooting!
gunman
hunter

Postby greenster » Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:08 pm

First of all you need to find a gun that fits you for your size and bulk, you need a gun that fits by this I mean a gun you can swing in many different directions without much lag and one that will create great muscle memory for you (instinct on how and when to pull trigger) 95% of shotgun is Made for the Average Man 5’9” 165Lb man with 33” arm length and is Right handed. Once you get fitted to your gun work on your shoot technique find one that fits you well. After you get this down this and to keep it down shoot many rounds to get that “muscle memory” and try to shoot Moving targets at least once a month more often right before the season starts to keep you in the game.

Hope this helps and best of luck
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Shotgun Forum