pump malfunction ... assistance requested

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

pump malfunction ... assistance requested

Postby uncbornbred » Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:28 am

i have a mossberg pump (model 50124). i won this gun in a DU raffle 15-18 years ago. never shot it. my son has shown an interest in sporting clays. he wanted to shoot the pump. after about 5-6 rounds the second sheel began dropping out of the magazine when attempting to load into the chamber for the second shot. an aquaintence suggested that the magazine spring may need to be replaced.

any input or thoughts would be appreciated.
uncbornbred
hunter

Postby duckdog » Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:16 pm

Buy a Remington!!! :thumbsup: :yes: :thumbsup: . Seriously I would take it to a gunsmith
Any day in the outdoor's is better than at work
duckdog
hunter

Postby liv2hunt » Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:48 pm

It is possible that the spring is bad. I would also take a look at the shell stop and make sure it is functioning correctly. Unless you are very comfortable taking a gun apart and working on it, I would just take it to a local GS.
liv2hunt
hunter

Postby uncbornbred » Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:37 pm

appreciate the input ...
uncbornbred
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:53 pm

Yeah, Im not exacly sure what yer sayin......

But if the shell falls out instead of feeding---have a gunsmith take a look. A really nice one will diagnose you on the spot, and let you know how much it will be :thumbsup:

Keep us updated :smile:
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:46 am

Remington 870's are the best, that would be a great gun to get him for his b day or something.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Snaph » Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:42 pm

I have had loose buffer jam my spring up in my mossburg 500. Like Liv2 said the shell stop might be stuck. I have had something like this happen.
I just cleaned the gun and it works fine now. If you shoot reloads with buffer, seal the ends up of the shells with nail polish.
Snaph
hunter

Postby gunman » Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:20 pm

take it apart, look at the spring, it really doesn't sound like the spring if it only happends to the second shell, besides if the spring was bad the stopper should still be doing its job and keeping the shell in the gun...I'm willing to bet , when you chamber the first round the stop gets pulled in to alow the first shell to go to the chamber, but when the shell is out the stop doesn't return in time to catch the second shell, I would take it all apart and CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN! regardless thats were I would bet my marbles, is that its a sticky shell stop. not the spring...good luck with it, let us know what happens! -Chris
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.
--------------------
Hunters are alot like Birdwatchers. Only after watching while, we start shooting!
gunman
hunter

Postby greenster » Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:48 pm

I've seen this problem many times. Most of the time it just needs a good overall cleaning. Old gun like yours I would check for Rust and other foreign debris. If problem continues take it to a Good gun smith. A few dollars for a replacement part will be well worth it in an opinion.
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Ducksbeus » Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:52 pm

Definatly clean it real good. May still have that factory oil in it. Do not over lube during re-assemble. If that doesnt help, id take her to the gunsmith. :yes:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum