Left handed shooters

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Left handed shooters

Postby DROPDUX » Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:55 pm

Any left handed shooters out there start shooting with right handed guns and switch over to LH guns? If so was it hard to get used to the left handed safety. I have always used right handed guns, and I think I would much rather get a BPS instead of have to worry about being unsure of the safety. Ever use RH gas-operated shotguns and have powder or debris blown in your eyes? Happened to me a few times.

DROP
DROPDUX
hunter

Postby Snaph » Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:14 pm

I am left handed and I have always used right handed guns. OK, my 7mm rifle is a left handed bolt. I got tired of reaching across the rifle to chamber another cartridge. I love the thumb safety. All my guns have it except for my .22. I have trouble with it being awkward for me.

I have never had anything blow back in my eyes. My right arm however is a different story when it comes to autoloaders/semiautos.
Having hot brass and powder land and sit on your arm wakes you up. My .22 is famous for that.
Snaph
hunter

Postby DROPDUX » Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:53 pm

I think I have had debris from my 10/22 blow back in my eye--just once. But with RH 1100's it happens more often. I think I will feel uncomfortable going to a left handed shotgun--that is why I am considering a bps. I like the thumb safety (I like the bottom ejection too).

Drop
DROPDUX
hunter

Postby mallardman77 » Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:20 pm

I'm a lefty too. I've never had any problems with the shotguns(gotta love the mossberg tang safety!) or .22'. But deer hunting with a RH bolt is a big pain in the ***. Thinking of going to a remington pump rifle before this deer season :thumbsup:
Is it september the 8th yet???

mallardman77
hunter

Postby Snaph » Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:32 pm

Mall77....that is why I got a LH bolt. But a pump is a good idea.
Snaph
hunter

Postby DROPDUX » Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:46 pm

I understand the Bolt issue - that would suck. Ever notice the sniper on Saving Private Ryan is left handed useing a right handed bolt action. I still shoot the 1100's - just not hunting. That's something I don't want to have to deal with.
DROPDUX
hunter

Postby gunman » Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:26 am

personaly I am right handed, but I shoot the shotgun/rifle left handed, so i am one of those really gifted fellows....or really screwed up, depends on how you look at it. anyways I used the right handed safety for many years, but just recently I bought a browning and had them switch the safety around for me, feels really weird. I had to keep a close eye on it because I kept takng it off safety when I though I was putting it on! I'm glad ya mentioned about getting crap in your eyes, the first time I took it out to shoot it kept happening, but never since, but then again, I realy haven't had a chance to shoot it much...does anyone make a left handed action? -Chris
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.
--------------------
Hunters are alot like Birdwatchers. Only after watching while, we start shooting!
gunman
hunter

Postby mallardman77 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:28 pm

I'm still undecided on the rifle. I like the feel and fit of the Remington, but the big drawback is the trigger is kinda "shotgunnish". I like a light trigger and I can't get that with the pump. A BAR would be alright too! :thumbsup:
Is it september the 8th yet???

mallardman77
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:39 am

MM77,

The Remington trigger can be adjusted.

My Model 700 Classic is downt to like 3 pounds, I love it!!!! :thumbsup:
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby gunman » Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:26 am

one of my custom target rifles I have the trigger turned almost all the way down, its about 5 oz!!!!! talk about hair trigger.....other than that I usually set them at about a pound, but it depends on what gun it is....
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.
--------------------
Hunters are alot like Birdwatchers. Only after watching while, we start shooting!
gunman
hunter

Postby malard_man » Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:00 pm

i am a southpaw also. i am a fan of the mossberg tang safety. ive never had a problem with mine. i had a bps for a while-overrated, and made i japan :thumbsdown: . as for rifles, i got a left handed rem 700 in 270 last year and i wouldn't trade it for the world. i was kind of suprised how fast i could shoot it when i was helping a friend track a gut shot deer and the deer got up about 2 feet in front of me :eek:
malard_man
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum