What choke tub do you use???

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

whats the choke tub you like?

FULL
8%
MOD
67%
IMP
8%
Pattern Master
13%
Comp-N-Choke
No votes
Duck Commander series
No votes
H.S. Strut
No votes
Other
4%

Total votes : 24

What choke tub do you use???

Postby gunman » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:47 pm

well guys, the title says it all, what do you use, and what have you used, and your opinion why you use them?
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.
--------------------
Hunters are alot like Birdwatchers. Only after watching while, we start shooting!
gunman
hunter

Postby TNRedneck » Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:04 pm

I use a patternmaster. I used to use modified.
GITN-R-DONE THIS SIDE OF THE MISSISSIPPI FOR 16 YEARS!
TNRedneck
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:13 pm

Last edited by bgoldhunter on Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby gunman » Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:15 pm

likes dislikes??? I'm looking into a pattern master myself..
--------------------
Hunters are alot like Birdwatchers. Only after watching while, we start shooting!
gunman
hunter

Postby TNRedneck » Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:15 pm

I like the patternmaster, it seems to be made for bigger shot and further distances too, i've missed several "in yo face" ducks, but i'm deadly a little further out.
TNRedneck
hunter

Postby gunman » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:21 pm

whats the Constriction on the Pattern Master? DO they make only one? Or are there diffrent options..............?
--------------------
gunman
hunter

Postby TNRedneck » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:32 pm

Not real sure, my grandad gave it to me. I looked on their website and based from what I could tell its about as tight as a full choke. They are meant for large steel shot(#2 or bigger) and buckshot. But I shoot #2 and BB. So it works fine for me.
TNRedneck
hunter

Postby gunman » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:38 pm

what if a guy likes to shoot 3's most of the time but 2's and 4's sometimes? any advice people?
--------------------
gunman
hunter

Postby bullet » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:28 pm

I own and have dabbled w/ the Patternmaster. The waterfowler is basically a pretty open choke that only come in one size.(they have different chokes based on the type of shooting you do) The claim to fame is the choke has nubs on it that slows down the wad keeping the wad from distorting the pattern. It does hold a pattern nicely. They are pricey and they're ported. For the money Carlson's extended choke tubes run about 25.00 a piece. You can probably get 3 choke tubes for 1 PM. If I had to have just one tube and no other, it might be the Patternmaster, but I normally use my Carlsons
bullet
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:37 am

I either use a Full or a Mod for ducks! :salude:
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby cooter » Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:14 am

Pattern Master Chokes are made for extended Ranges. I believe they are coming out with, or have just come out with some closer shooting chokes. But Bullet is right, the PM strips the wads, just a little early letting the pellets stay together farther out into the pattern.

I would say that they would not be worth a darn unless you were shooting 35 yards and farther. On decoying birds (20yards & less) the pattern, I would think would not be any bigger than a orange. If you actually hit a bird, it would destroy the bird. Plus not mentioning the fact that it would make hitting them much toughter with a small pattern.

If you were goose hunting, and shooting at the long range, they would be the ticket. But I don't believe that there is a 1 Choke Meets ALL Needs.

I use 2 Brilley Extended Choke Tubes:

Brilleys Cylinder Bore - For shooting over decoys. It is the most OPEN Choke available and is as good as they come when shooting birds over decoys (25yards and less).

Brilley's Lite Modified Extended Choke Tube - The LM lets me shoot from 25 yards - 40yards with a very nice pattern out of my SBE. At 30-40 yards the pattern is about 30".

I carry this 2 Choke Tubes on me at all times. One in the gun, and the other in a Shell Loop in my waders. Most of my shooting is Up Close and Personal (15 feet to 20 yards), but if for some reason the birds are skittish and I'm having problems getting them to commit. I just change Tubes on the spot, and I am right back in the action.

Geese is a whole different matter. But if you are having to consistantly shoot ducks at the 40 yard range. Then I would work more on getting the ducks closer than being able to shoot farther. At 40 yards, a pattern with just about ANY choke is starting to break down so badly that you will be doing MUCH MORE crippling, than killing. And crippling at that range, the duck isn't hurt enough, that a dog would have a decent chance of getting the cripple. cooter

PS: I hate hunting with hunters that use PORTED CHOKES, my ears ring for days. :help:
member of: Team GREEN
cooter
hunter

Postby bullet » Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:47 am

Cooter is probably right and I'm wrong. The PM choke I have is called the Waterfowler and I was under the asumption it was a IC choke tube. all it says on the tube is Patternmaster and none of their chokes say Full, Mod Cyl etc. I don't like the ported choke either, or at least my son doesn't. I've patterned it at 30 yards, and I like it. Problem w/ mine is the gasses escape around the outside of the tube and it becomes loose. This is due to the fact that they make these tubes to fit various guns and while one gun might be tight the other might be loose depending on thread sizes.
bullet
hunter

Postby gunman » Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:12 am

bullet whats your pattern size at 30 yrds with that?
--------------------
gunman
hunter

Postby bullet » Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:43 am

I pattern my shotgun into a board at the sporting clay range. It's a board approx 3 feet wide by 4 ft high. You just roll a litheum type grease on the board w/ a paintroller. Shoot, roll again, shoot again. I don't use a tape measure or count pellets but I'd say at 30 yards there's 6-8 inches on either side of the 3 ft board. I'm just walking off the 30 yards w steps as well. Doesn't change alot at 35 either. The PM web site on my computer is all screwed up and pictures overlap wording so its tough to get accurate discriptions of what they're talking about. You can call them though and I'm sure they'd be happy to answer any questions
bullet
hunter

Postby cooter » Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:14 am

That doesn't sound to bad for a long choke. I don't own one, but checked into them several years ago, and thought the write-up was saying something like a 20-24" pattern at 40+ yards.

They may already be making decoy choke, and mid range chokes. I have had my system for several years, and haven't really looked into changing due to (It Works) for the type of hunting that I do.

I think that 30-36" at 35-40 yards is a great pattern. But don't see how that it would improve Goose Hunter Needs, unless the BB's stay alot tighter. Most factory choke will get you a 35-40 shot with a Mod Choke Tube.

I'm doing some wiring in my work shop today, butr I will read on there Web Site and Cabela's Catalog what they are advertising. cooter
member of: Team GREEN
cooter
hunter

Postby bullet » Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:56 pm

From cabelas.
Pattern Master Choke Tubes
The patented construction of this incredible choke slows the wad and ensures the tightest, most consistent patterns we've ever seen. Our tests with large steel shot and buckshot convinced us that these tubes outperform every other tube on the market. Consistent patterns of 100% in 20" at 40 yards with 3" mag. 00 buck is the kind of performance we experienced. These chokes use a combination of controlled constriction, internal lugs and venting to achieve superior pattern control. The controlled constriction takes place in the beginning two-thirds of the choke tube. The internal lugs then engage the wad as it passes through the choke - slowing down the wad - the ports (venting) allow the gasses to escape without blowing the shot cup through the shot pattern. The result is an enhanced shot retention in the center of the pattern. Actual constriction of the choke tube is between modified and improved modified. If you want tight, consistent patterns, try one of these. You won't be disappointed. All tubes are ported.
bullet
hunter

Postby Wags » Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:42 am

I use a Mod for about everything in the boat or marsh.
Wags
hunter

Postby WIhunter » Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:35 pm

I live only a couple miles from one of the owners of Patternmaster. I have been to his shop and bought my chokes directly from him. Patternmaster has a decoy choke, a midrange choke and the original long range choke. I use the decoy choke and the midrange choke and have been very happy with the patterns I am getting.
WIhunter
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:43 pm

oops. i made two.
Last edited by Gooseboy on Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Gooseboy » Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:44 pm

Everyone i know sais to use a full. I did but accidently used a mod once and did great. so i use mod or full.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby bullet » Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:06 pm

Gooseboy check your chokes and make sure your ok to shoot steel shot through that full choke. Many choke manufacturers don't recommend
shooting steel through their full chokes.
bullet
hunter

Postby gunman » Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:49 am

WIhunter, i'm looking for something that will shoot 2,3,4's mostly and hold a tight group, 20" @ 40yrds would work! but notice thats with OO buck! what do you think he would recommend? (anyone can chime in on this question...)
--------------------
gunman
hunter

Postby WIhunter » Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:57 am

Gunman. The original Patternmaster will give you the tightest pattern. I don't know about 20" at 40yards though. The phone number for Patternmaster is (608) 767-2642
WIhunter
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum