A-5 Owners --- Roll Call

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Re: Belgian A-5 Light Twelve, lots of miles and still kickin

Postby A5Mag12 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:21 am

Adventurer79 wrote:Image
Great gun, cant put it down.
That ship is bigger than many of the waterholes I hunt.
A5Mag12
hunter

Postby CrossHare » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:08 pm

True that! That's a safe queen. Shaweet!

12ganooby wrote:Bluewing-That looks too purty to hunt ducks with! :tongue:
Failure's hard, but success is far more dangerous. If you're successful at the wrong thing the mix of praise, money and opportunity can lock you in forever.
CrossHare
hunter

Postby CrossHare » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:10 pm

All round knob A5's have these. If not I always tend to suspect re-done. Everyone of my A5 collectors have these markings.

bluewing77 wrote:Loren, its a very nice gun... one of these days if either of us can actually answer the phone we'll chat more about it.

do any of yours have little numbers and/or letters stamped on the round knob? anybody else? just curious... hopefully it doesnt mean 2nd best, or 2nd place or 2nd fiddle or 2nd anything not cool.

'60 Mag 12

'59 Light 12
Failure's hard, but success is far more dangerous. If you're successful at the wrong thing the mix of praise, money and opportunity can lock you in forever.
CrossHare
hunter

Postby A5Mag12 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:46 pm

CrossHare wrote:All round knob A5's have these. If not I always tend to suspect re-done. Everyone of my A5 collectors have these markings.

bluewing77 wrote:Loren, its a very nice gun... one of these days if either of us can actually answer the phone we'll chat more about it.

do any of yours have little numbers and/or letters stamped on the round knob? anybody else? just curious... hopefully it doesnt mean 2nd best, or 2nd place or 2nd fiddle or 2nd anything not cool.

'60 Mag 12

'59 Light 12
The 6 Belgian A-5's that I know the entire lineage of do not have these markings.
A5Mag12
hunter

Postby CrossHare » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:15 am

I have yet to see an all original round knob that "wasn't re-done" that didn't have the impressed markings in the round knob portion. The 1961 yr even has black lettering in the stock just behind the round knob portion. These letters/numbers are what the big time collectors look for.

A5Mag12 wrote:
CrossHare wrote:All round knob A5's have these. If not I always tend to suspect re-done. Everyone of my A5 collectors have these markings.

'60 Mag 12

'59 Light 12
The 6 Belgian A-5's that I know the entire lineage of do not have these markings.
CrossHare
hunter

Postby bluewing77 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:06 am

CrossHare wrote: .... lettering in the stock just behind the round knob portion. These letters/numbers are what the big time collectors look for.

so did you guys know i was "big time" ??? :rofl:

well now we have more A-5 stuff to talk about so lets see some more stamped letters and numbers. my guns have 2's and T's, what else is there?
Last edited by bluewing77 on Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluewing77
hunter

Postby Phoneman7 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:38 pm

here are a few. L to R 1968 Mag 12 W/ 28"mod barrel. 1972 Light 12 W/ 26" IC Barrel. 1954 Sweet Sixteen W/ 28" mod barrel. The 16 has a "4" and a "W" on the pistol grip.

Phoneman7
hunter

Postby CrossHare » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:36 pm

Incidentally these numbers have zero meaning as far as the factory is concerned. The Double Auto utilizes the same round knob numbers but the Superposed's don't. :huh:
CrossHare
hunter

Re: A-5 Owners --- Roll Call

Postby scotyg » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:28 pm

heres a mid 80s magnum 12. made in japan. 30" barrel.

scotyg
hunter

Postby Phoneman7 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:32 pm

well broke down and added another today thanks to the gunshow. Picked up a jap magnum w/ 26" invector barrel. the guy had added factory stalker butt and forend. It will be my go to duck and turkey gun now that i have one without all the fancy wood that i can abuse. I paid a little much for it(725) but figured by the time i bought a barrel and stocks for my 68 mag, i'd have that in it and now i have a frankenstalker that i don't have to worry about messing up. Gonna go after some toms next week with her.
Phoneman7
hunter

Postby Phoneman7 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:54 pm

new one!

Phoneman7
hunter

Postby John Taylor » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:56 pm

Hey Fellas,
I'm new to the forum and first just wanted to say that this looks like a really nice site to come to. I was raised on a Browning A-5 and to this day it is still my favorite gun to shoot. I have really enjoyed this post about A-5 owners. I currently have 4 Browning A-5's. I just recently purchased one and when I went to pick it up I realized that it is one that I might not want to hunt with and just keep for my collection. I don't know the age of it and was wondering if there is a site that I can get info. about it. It has a round knob with a solid rib on the barrel. The numbers on the barrel don't match the numbers on the gun but what is really interesting to me is that the safety is in front of the trigger housing. I've never seen one like this so I'm assuming that it is a fairly old one. The gun is in great shape and doesn't show much wear. My Dad had one that my Mom bought him back in 1959 and this one I'm pretty sure is alot older than that one. The numbers on the inside of the forearm match the gun numbers. I will try to get a picture of it soon and post it up. If anybody has any info. that could possibly give me more info. about the age of the gun I would certainly appreciate it.
John Taylor
Newb

Postby bgoldhunter » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:20 pm

John, nice to have another A5 lover on the site. If you would like to know the year, just post up a partial serial. Be sure to include any letters or numbers that appear before the serial as well. Just XX out the last two numbers, and one of us passing through could tell you pretty quickly what year it is.

The crossbolt safety was introduced in 1951, so yours is certainly made before that. The solid rib makes the barrel a nice find, although I wouldn't be too upset about the barrel # not matching. I'm not sure when they stopped matching the barrel # to he receiver, but it was fairly early on. So unless yours is an earlier gun, it wouldn't match anyway.

Sounds like a nice one...pictures would be nice!
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby John Taylor » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:18 pm

bgoldhunter,
Thanks alot for for responding to my post. The serial number is 791xx (last numbers x'd out). As I had said before, the gun is in great shape with little wear at all. I originally bought it to use but now I'm thinking that I don't want to take a chance of messing it up in any way. Do you or anybody else know what the approximate value of a gun this old would be. I know that it's hard to tell without seeing it. I'm just curious if I got a good deal or not. These hump-backs are still my favorite of all time to shoot. I am hoping that Browning will come back out with the original hump-back design but with todays technology. I will try to get pictures of it and post up. Thanks again for the info.
John Taylor
Newb

Postby bgoldhunter » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:40 pm

S&V's book shows 79150 checked into the warehouse 12/31/1925. While I like the earlier guns, they don't usually command a high price...$350 to $450 for a really nice one would be my guess. The solid rib may help add a bit of value.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby GaddyWaller » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:07 pm

Hey all! I'm thinking of joining the fraternity this weekend, but I'm not sure if the gun I'm interested in is a real Browning or a copy. I've never seen one like it.

It's a plain barrel 2-3/4" chamber, marked Browning on the barrel, but not Belgian. The receiver is polished blue on the sides, but appears to be bead-blasted on the top to give a matte finish. Receiver does not say "Light Twelve", but it does have the little engraved likeness of John Browning on the left side. It has a gold trigger and satin finish round knob stock with aftermarket recoil pad.

There are two of these at a local gun shop, and they don't appear to have been shot much. If I recall they are asking around $500 each. My first impression was that maybe they were early Japanese manufacture, but I don't know for sure. Anybody seen one like this before, or know if it is genuine Browning or a knock-off? :help:
GaddyWaller
hunter

Postby VA Wigeon » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:04 am

GW: Over the 90+ years of production by 3 manufacturers there are a lot of variations. These could be early Belgian european models or more likely they are "American Brownings" produced for Browning by Remington during the war years when FN was under Nazi occupation. If the serial number starts with an A B or C they are American Brownings. The letter denotes gauge, I believe A = 16, B = 12, and C = 20 but I may have that backwards. The Gold trigger is what is throwing me here. To my knowledge that didn't come till later. Is the safety forward or aft of the trigger? I picture would be a lot of help. I am no expert but I am a fan of the A-5 and have read up on them. There are some guys on here that could help more. Do you have the serial numbers? From what you have said about a Browning likeness on the gun I think they are real Brownings. Remington and Savage made copies under license from Browning but only Brownings had the little picture. $500 would be a fair price for lets say an American Browning in very good shape but I think condition is going to play more here than colectability. It all depends on what you want out of the gun and YOUR value on that.

P.S. maybe you could go to Gunbroker or Auction Arms and look at the pictures and prices of what is out there and match it to what you you have localy.

Hope this helps, let us know what you find out.
To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the scariest thing a hunter can hear is "Hi, I am from DGIF and I am here to help."
VA Wigeon
hunter

Postby A5Mag12 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:02 am

GaddyWaller wrote:Hey all! I'm thinking of joining the fraternity this weekend, but I'm not sure if the gun I'm interested in is a real Browning or a copy. I've never seen one like it.

It's a plain barrel 2-3/4" chamber, marked Browning on the barrel, but not Belgian. The receiver is polished blue on the sides, but appears to be bead-blasted on the top to give a matte finish. Receiver does not say "Light Twelve", but it does have the little engraved likeness of John Browning on the left side. It has a gold trigger and satin finish round knob stock with aftermarket recoil pad.

There are two of these at a local gun shop, and they don't appear to have been shot much. If I recall they are asking around $500 each. My first impression was that maybe they were early Japanese manufacture, but I don't know for sure. Anybody seen one like this before, or know if it is genuine Browning or a knock-off? :help:
I believe you are looking at Remington made American Brownings and if so are not worth $500.00. I would learn a bit more on how to id the various guns and keep looking.
A5Mag12
hunter

Postby GaddyWaller » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:56 pm

Thanks for the info guys. It turned out to be a moot point anyway, since both guns were gone when I went to take another look over the weekend. I'll hit the bookstore and get a Browning guide so I'll be ready next time I come across something.
GaddyWaller
hunter

Postby orphanedcowboy » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:14 pm

When your looking, just be sure you look them over very well. I don't know if this was there when I bought it or was from several rounds of Sporting Clays. The gun had not been shot in the last 7 years, and it is possible I over looked it:

Here is the Stalker ready to hedgerow some geese:

orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby CrossHare » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:24 am

Man, that is enough to bring tears to any Browning aficionado's eyes. :eek:

orphanedcowboy wrote:When your looking, just be sure you look them over very well. I don't know if this was there when I bought it or was from several rounds of Sporting Clays. The gun had not been shot in the last 7 years, and it is possible I over looked it:

Here is the Stalker ready to hedgerow some geese:

CrossHare
hunter

Postby bluewing77 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:40 pm

--sold em both-- :grooving:
Last edited by bluewing77 on Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
bluewing77
hunter

Postby VA Wigeon » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:35 pm

OC, that sure makes me want to cry. A good gunsmith can glass the inside for a nice repair.
To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the scariest thing a hunter can hear is "Hi, I am from DGIF and I am here to help."
VA Wigeon
hunter

Postby orphanedcowboy » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:26 pm

VA Wigeon wrote:OC, that sure makes me want to cry. A good gunsmith can glass the inside for a nice repair.

MIL paid for Art's Gun and Sport Shop to repair and refinish the stock back to it's glory day, she said it was my birthday present. :biggrin:
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby bluewing77 » Thu May 14, 2009 8:22 am

1958 edition Mag 12. 'nuff said.

IMG_1421.JPG

IMG_1422.jpg

IMG_1425.jpg
bluewing77
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Shotgun Forum