A-5 Owners --- Roll Call

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Re: A-5 Owners --- Roll Call

Postby Flight stopper » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:50 pm

mag 12 ,16 and a mag 20 :biggrin:
Flight stopper
Newb

Postby Dux-R-Us » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:47 am

In 1991 my Pap surpised the hell out me with a Belgium Mag 12 as a graduation gift for completing my PhD. That gun is been my primary duck getter ever since. Here is the piece with Brook, my first ESS. She was always my little juggernaut. I sure miss her.

I love my A-5. OGK how many birds have been taken with it, plus several turkeys and coyotes.

Tally ho!

Kevin
Attachments
BROOKW~1.JPG
"Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx
Dux-R-Us
hunter

Postby CluckinCrazy » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:20 am

i have a few mint condition Belgum A5's my grandpa gave me, he bought them new and i still have everything down to the original box, owners manual and reciept. I will never in my life get rid of these guns just holding them in my hands is like a history lession :thumbsup:
WANTED TO BUY
RNT (blackout daisy cutter)
RNT ( Bois D'arc short barrel)
Tim Grouinds Real Thang (gold nugget or butterscotch)
Zink PH-2 or PH-1 (carmel swirl) (copper)
Zink Beanies
LEFT HANDED Athens Archery BUCK COMMANDER Bow
CluckinCrazy
hunter

Postby XR-2 Fan » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:05 am

Well I now know what site to visit when I decide to pick up a good ole sweet 16!!!! I'll be looking for a belgian model with a plain matte barrel, preferrably 26" barrel that won't break the bank!!! Great thread guys!!! :thumbsup:
XR-2 Fan
hunter

Postby waterfowlah » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:53 pm

TWO BELGIN MADE 12GA LOVE THEM BOTH.
waterfowlah
hunter

Postby Mallard Cutter » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:57 am

Dux-R-Us wrote:In 1991 my Pap surpised the hell out me with a Belgium Mag 12 as a graduation gift for completing my PhD. That gun is been my primary duck getter ever since. Here is the piece with Brook, my first ESS. She was always my little juggernaut. I sure miss her.

I love my A-5. OGK how many birds have been taken with it, plus several turkeys and coyotes.

Tally ho!

Kevin

Love your dog !!!!!!!!! She's was beauty !!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Mallard Cutter
hunter

Postby AdamG » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:11 am

Looking to buy my first A-5, and have a place to aquire one from. Question is, do I need a Japanese barrel to shoot steel shot? Always heard that from a guy that shoots nothing but A-5's and has a bunch of em. Been shooting Remington for years, just recently bought a Silver, fell in love ...and now I want an A-5! :thumbsup:
AdamG
hunter

Postby C-Hawk19 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:04 pm

I have an old 12 that was my paw paws and that thing has killed it all he killed deer, ducks, quail, doves, hogs, rabbits and anything else that got in front of it. i love it conditions don't get to tough she just keeps on cycling. it is a belgium chambered in only 2 3/4 with a modified barrel. it patterns so well that it will dominate anything within about 40 yards. since it was a gift from my paw paw while he was dying so it is one of the few things that i own that i baby. so unless it is a nice day i take my franchi 912 if i could afford a a-5 mag right now i would buy one but i'm a broke college student. bummer i don't have any pics to post cause she is a beaut.
You know your hunting in South Carolina when a bunch of ducks fly in and you shot both of them!!
C-Hawk19
hunter

Postby mjk » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:55 pm

Picked up my 2nd A5 mag. This is a 1996, with a 30" Invector Plus barrel.
1996 a5 mag.JPG
mjk
hunter

Postby Baydogdrake » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:41 pm

I started duck hunting with a used Remington model 11 back in the early 60's and saved enough money to buy an A-5 in the early 70's been hunting with that gun ever since. a couple years ago I baught a Browning Gold then a Browning Fusion but I still went with the A-5 everytime I went out! Now I have been reloading for a number of years and that gun has NEVER done anything but fire everytime I pull the trigger! I have even dropped it in the salt water and still it keeps going. two days ago my wife got me a new Browning maxus for my 61th birthday.I guess it's time to put the A-5 away. have to wait and see.Almost like saying good bye to an old friend.
Baydogdrake
hunter

Postby Crawfish » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:59 pm

I have a Jap 1977 Magnum 12. My dad left it to me when he passed away. The really cool thing is I was born in 77. The gun has quite a bit of rust as dad didn't really take care of it. I'm going to have someone restore it for me when I get the money. It is a 3" with a 32 inch barrel. It has "special steel" on the barrel. Was this shotgun built for waterfowl?
Crawfish
hunter

Postby Crawfish » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:19 pm

Also, the gun has a fixed barrel. Can someone inform me of a way to tell what choke the barrel is? Would holding screw in chokes up to the end of the barrel work? Looking to see which has the most similar constriction.
Crawfish
hunter

Postby A5Mag12 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:07 pm

BROWNING CHOKES AND THEIR CODES (ON REAR LEFT-SIDE OF BARREL)

* designates full choke (F).

*- designates improved modified choke (IM).

** designates modified choke (M).

**- designates improved cylinder choke (IC).

**$ designates skeet (SK).

*** designates cylinder bore (CYL).

INV. designates barrel is threaded for Browning Invector choke tube system.

INV. PLUS designates back-bored barrels
A5Mag12
hunter

Postby Crawfish » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:24 pm

Found it. It's a full choke. Thanks for the help. Now, does the "special steel' stamp signify that it's ok to shoot steel?

A 32 inch barrel with a full choke. Wow. Now I know why it will dust the clays....when I hit them.
Crawfish
hunter

Postby A5Mag12 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:31 pm

While it's almost a certainty that a 32" Mag-12 barrel is full choked it is not designated by any letter under the barrel. See above post to determine choke. And no the words " Special Steel" has absolutely nothing to do with steel shot. A full fixed choke barrel is not rated as safe for steel shot. A Jap barrel choked mod or more open or an Invector/Invector Plus barrel are the only ones Browning says are safe for steel.
A5Mag12
hunter

Postby Crawfish » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:43 pm

Thanks. Yeah, I had a brain fart on the "F" from the bottom of the barrel. I corrected my post.

It is a Full choke though. I figured that it wasn't good for steel just thought I would ask to be sure.

So, I guess I could have a gunsmith cut the barrel down and thread it for invector chokes. I would like to keep it original but I would like to take it hunting as well. Not sure what to do. I don't need to hunt with it as I have other shotguns. But, it was my dads and I would like to kill a few ducks with it.
Crawfish
hunter

Postby A5Mag12 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:53 pm

Cheapest option for steel shot would be to just have the choke opened up.
A5Mag12
hunter

Postby Crawfish » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:56 pm

Not a bad idea. Thanks!
Crawfish
hunter

Postby littletom » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:54 pm

I have a mag stalker that sees about 4 hunts a week all waterfowl season, she looks rough but i love her. And a old light 12 round knob to blast everything else. Just got a jap barrel for it this spring :yes:
You can learn something from everyone, even if what not to do
littletom
hunter

Postby Ajgall1055 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:38 am

I'm not fully in the club, but i got a remington model 11 this summer and shot it at the gunclub all summer was looking forward to hunting with it some this year, but Uncle Sam had other plans... So when I get home form the 'stan a full fledged Auto-5 is on the list!
Ajgall1055
hunter

Postby stlbirdman » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:26 am

I finally convinced my father to pass the torch on the old A-5 about 4 weeks ago. I have had my eye on this gun for the last 25 years. This gun belonged to my great grandfather and has been in the family ever since. She is a beauty and shoots like a dream. I wouldn't trade it for anything and can't wait for my son to be ready for this rare torch - he is five now and asks every weekend if the ducks are flying. Can't wait to have him next to me in the blind.
stlbirdman
hunter

Postby Cobra7 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:10 am

Best gun ever made period,period,period!!!!! No gun on the market today can come close to the reliability the A-5 posesses. Someone from Browning should be shot in the street, then hung, then shot 100 times from 20 yards with a A-5 for stopping production!!! John Browning is still rolling over in his grave!!! "Browning the best there was"!!!!!
Cobra7
hunter

Postby piroguejoe » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:09 pm

augh! I'm jealous of all of you. My buddy says I'm crazy cause I'd trade my M1 super 90 in a heartbeat for a A-5 for ducks.
I thought T shot meant teal shot!
piroguejoe
hunter

Postby jdenny21 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:45 am

Got a Belgian Sweet Sixteen in pristine condition if that counts, inherited from my father. I'll post a pic of it when I get the chance, it's hands down the most gorgeous gun I own. I doesn't venture out in the duck boat all too often, but makes pheasants shake in their boots.... :beer:
jdenny21
hunter

Postby jsdyer » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:29 pm

I have a Belgian-made A-5 20 gauge magnum that I bought when I was sixteen for about $200, and a Japanese A-5 12 gauge magnum with invector barrel that is like new that I bought for about $600. They are the best autos, in my humble opinion.
js
jsdyer
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Shotgun Forum