Hatfield semi auto in walmart?

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderator: Quack Wacker NC

Hatfield semi auto in walmart?

Postby Drew4711 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:30 pm

I was walking around in walmart and saw a semi auto 12 gauge for $226! Was wondering if anybody has one and I'm wondering if it cycles good and everything. The brand name was Hatfield and it looked pretty nice actually.
Drew4711
hunter
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:04 pm

Remove Advertisements

DuckHuntingChat.com
Advertisement

Re: Hatfield semi auto in walmart?

Postby Assault » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:47 pm

$227 is dang sure worth a try


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I c it in the air, it's coming down!
User avatar
Assault
hunter
 
Posts: 373
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:02 am
Location: Central/southeast Louisiana

Re: Hatfield semi auto in walmart?

Postby Drew4711 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:55 pm

That's what I'm thinking but I hunt out of a gheenoe and don't want too much power behind me I use a 20 out of my gheenoe now and have no problems at all.
Drew4711
hunter
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:04 pm

Re: Hatfield semi auto in walmart?

Postby bowhunter851 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:21 pm

Looks like a sa-08


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bowhunter851
hunter
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:37 pm

Re: Hatfield semi auto in walmart?

Postby Drew4711 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:28 am

It does look like a sa 08 but I'm still not sure about buying it. Those 870 are reliable and you can't have enough of them haha
Drew4711
hunter
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:04 pm

Re: Hatfield semi auto in walmart?

Postby bowhunter851 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:26 pm

True haha I'm a big fan of pumps in general


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bowhunter851
hunter
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:37 pm

Re: Hatfield semi auto in walmart?

Postby godzilla2007 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:34 am

hey i bought one of these a couple of weeks ago and its a great gun i put 25 shells through it without giving it time to cool off and it never once jammed and my father bought one and we have put close to 75 shells through it without any jamming its up to you man but i think you wouldn't be upset with it
godzilla2007
Newb
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:49 am

Re: Hatfield semi auto in walmart?

Postby Drew4711 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:49 pm

Dang so are you using dove ammo? Have you tried any duck loads in it?? I was going to pick up a 870 this saterday but now that you said it cycles good then I might just have to try it
Drew4711
hunter
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:04 pm

Re: Hatfield semi auto in walmart?

Postby bowhunter851 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:18 pm

Drew4711 wrote:Dang so are you using dove ammo? Have you tried any duck loads in it?? I was going to pick up a 870 this saterday but now that you said it cycles good then I might just have to try it
. I'd use it as a back up gun u truly don't know what's gun will do until u hit the harshness of a blind


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bowhunter851
hunter
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:37 pm

Re: Hatfield semi auto in walmart?

Postby mudpack » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:46 pm

Re; Hatfield guns. You might want to read this:
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?p=673479
Often wrong, never in doubt...
mudpack
hunter
 
Posts: 9388
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:40 am
Location: Central Kansas

Re: Hatfield semi auto in walmart?

Postby z51 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:27 pm

That thread is 10 years old about an O/U.
Well, are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?
z51
hunter
 
Posts: 2088
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:02 am
Location: Central Arkansas

Re: Hatfield semi auto in walmart?

Postby mudpack » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:08 pm

And your point is.....?


It tells you who makes the Hatfield, where it is made, and gives the OP an idea of the quality. The age of the information and the type of gun it refers to is incidental. At least, it is to me.
Often wrong, never in doubt...
mudpack
hunter
 
Posts: 9388
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:40 am
Location: Central Kansas

Re: Hatfield semi auto in walmart?

Postby z51 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:03 am

Seiously :sarcmark:
Well, are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?
z51
hunter
 
Posts: 2088
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:02 am
Location: Central Arkansas

Re: Hatfield semi auto in walmart?

Postby Assault » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:14 am

So ur saying in 10 years, nothing was upgraded?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I c it in the air, it's coming down!
User avatar
Assault
hunter
 
Posts: 373
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:02 am
Location: Central/southeast Louisiana

Re: Hatfield semi auto in walmart?

Postby Cajun1 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:39 am

I think what Mud is trying to say is....You get what you pay for.
Cajun1
hunter
 
Posts: 519
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:12 am

Re: Hatfield semi auto in walmart?

Postby mudpack » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:52 am

Assault wrote:So ur saying in 10 years, nothing was upgraded?

I would certainly hope so. But, upgraded to what?? That's anybody's guess at this point.

Bottom line, as Cajun1 said, is that a $226 (new) shotgun is a cheap...by definition....gun. I, myself, can't afford to throw $226 away on junk.
Often wrong, never in doubt...
mudpack
hunter
 
Posts: 9388
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:40 am
Location: Central Kansas

Re: Hatfield semi auto in walmart?

Postby Assault » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:00 pm

mudpack wrote:
Assault wrote:So ur saying in 10 years, nothing was upgraded?

I would certainly hope so. But, upgraded to what?? That's anybody's guess at this point.

Bottom line, as Cajun1 said, is that a $226 (new) shotgun is a cheap...by definition....gun. I, myself, can't afford to throw $226 away on junk.
sir, not to stir the pot... But I don't go off of info from 10 yrs past..... Keep in mind, there are people that struggle to just afford a $226 gun.......


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I c it in the air, it's coming down!
User avatar
Assault
hunter
 
Posts: 373
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:02 am
Location: Central/southeast Louisiana

Re: Hatfield semi auto in walmart?

Postby mudpack » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:53 am

Assault wrote: I don't go off of info from 10 yrs past.....

That's your prerogative, but you'll miss out on some good intell.


Assault wrote: Keep in mind, there are people that struggle to just afford a $226 gun.......

I'm aware of that, but the OP didn't say $230 was his max budget; he wanted to know if anyone had any information on the performance/quality of the Hatfield. Do you? ....or are you just here to pot-stir? :biggrin:
Often wrong, never in doubt...
mudpack
hunter
 
Posts: 9388
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:40 am
Location: Central Kansas

Re: Hatfield semi auto in walmart?

Postby z51 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:24 am

Actually only one guy who posted on this thread has any relevant info on this semi auto whatsoever, and it is quite limited.

Everythng else is uninformed opinion/bias.
Well, are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?
z51
hunter
 
Posts: 2088
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:02 am
Location: Central Arkansas

Re: Hatfield semi auto in walmart?

Postby Drew4711 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:34 pm

Umm thanks for the responses!
didn't mean to start anything
Drew4711
hunter
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:04 pm

Re: Hatfield semi auto in walmart?

Postby bowhunter851 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:59 am

Drew4711 wrote:Umm thanks for the responses!
didn't mean to start anything
not starting g anything I think it's cheap enough to try out i bought a cheap semi auto that I abuse like a cheap whore I wouldn't say it's a great shogun but I bring it out in the open water and in swamps I don't lik to take my nicer shotguns out to places that could ruin them so the cheap one I don't care about it adds a little head ache but being a new father and saving money for her collage is important to me so I make it work
bowhunter851
hunter
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:37 pm

Re: Hatfield semi auto in walmart?

Postby dacind98 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:44 pm

I purchased the gun just to have as a swamp gun; it's chambered for 3's and works to benelli non-crio chokes, I thought hey, good price for a gun that's gonna get a beating in the swamps right? I buy it. Take it home put a winchester 2 3/4 inch 1 1/8 oz. #7 1/8 in the chamber, pulled the string to the thrower. Skeet flies, I swing to meet it with the bead, click. The gun doesn't fire. Skeet bust on the ground. I think, well maybe it's the shell? Eject it rack one it. Click. Click click click. 5 clicks later on the same shotshell I look at the primer and the firing pin doesn't seem to be hitting the primer cap hard enough. I manually loaded a shotshell into the chamber, with the action open, slammed the action closed manually threw a Skeet, boom. Gun fires. I think okay, I can't do that every time I'm in the field so I tried the same method again; worked. It seemed the hammer wasn't hitting the firing pin hard enough unless the action was manually closed. I continue to manually close the action, 10 shots later the Hammer breaks. I send the gun back to Hgllc, as they kindly payed for everything shipping and handling wise, I just received the gun back today. Yet to shoot it. First impression not so good, maybe the trigger assembly was just a dud the first time. Will see soon.
dacind98
Newb
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:28 pm

Re: Hatfield semi auto in walmart?

Postby mudpack » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:54 am

dacind98 wrote:I purchased the gun just to have as a swamp gun; it's chambered for 3's and works to benelli non-crio chokes, I thought hey, good price for a gun that's gonna get a beating in the swamps right? I buy it. Take it home put a winchester 2 3/4 inch 1 1/8 oz. #7 1/8 in the chamber, pulled the string to the thrower. Skeet flies, I swing to meet it with the bead, click. The gun doesn't fire. Skeet bust on the ground. I think, well maybe it's the shell? Eject it rack one it. Click. Click click click. 5 clicks later on the same shotshell I look at the primer and the firing pin doesn't seem to be hitting the primer cap hard enough. I manually loaded a shotshell into the chamber, with the action open, slammed the action closed manually threw a Skeet, boom. Gun fires. I think okay, I can't do that every time I'm in the field so I tried the same method again; worked. It seemed the hammer wasn't hitting the firing pin hard enough unless the action was manually closed. I continue to manually close the action, 10 shots later the Hammer breaks. I send the gun back to Hgllc, as they kindly payed for everything shipping and handling wise, I just received the gun back today. Yet to shoot it. First impression not so good, maybe the trigger assembly was just a dud the first time. Will see soon.


Interesting.
Often wrong, never in doubt...
mudpack
hunter
 
Posts: 9388
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:40 am
Location: Central Kansas

Re: Hatfield semi auto in walmart?

Postby z51 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:12 am

The hammer hits the firing pin the same whether you slam the bolt home or not. Once the hammer engages the sear that's all the power you get.

My guess either the bolt wasn't going fully into battery unless you slammed the bolt home by manually releasing the bolt. Also possible is a malfuntioning disconnector part.

It could be caused by factory grease not letting things go into battery, or more likely a small tolerance issue between mating parts. Either way not a big deal. It likely would have been self correcting.

Even Beretta recommends break in with at least 100 rounds. Mudpack had a problem with his new Beretta A300 right out of the box.

Glad to hear they let you return it. Beretta would have told you to clean it thoroughly and shoot it.

BTW, who the heck is Hgllc? Do you mean Huglu Armscor?
Well, are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?
z51
hunter
 
Posts: 2088
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:02 am
Location: Central Arkansas

Re: Hatfield semi auto in walmart?

Postby mudpack » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:09 am

z51 wrote:Even Beretta recommends break in with at least 100 rounds. Mudpack had a problem with his new Beretta A300 right out of the box.


My Xtrema2's manual says three to four boxes (that's 75 to 100 rounds)of target loads is recommended for the break-in period.
I can't find any mention of a break-in period in the AL391 Urika's or the A300's manual...but it needed about five boxes of target loads.
Often wrong, never in doubt...
mudpack
hunter
 
Posts: 9388
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:40 am
Location: Central Kansas

Next

Return to Shotgun Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests