Maxus

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderator: Quack Wacker NC

Maxus

Postby Two dogs » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:29 pm

Maxus

I am going to make a case that the Browning maxus is the best waterfowl shotgun on the market. For starters it shoots 2 3/4, 3 & 3.1/2. The gun only weighs 7lbs and is very reliable. Some may say the inertia action is better because you don't have to clean it as often. What do you have against a clean gun? I clean my maxus once a year unless it gets unusually dirty or wet and I have never had a problem. Plus the action is very simple to clean. Not quite as easy as the inertia action but still only takes about 10 minutes to clean.

The maxus is very soft shooting and has innovations that no other gun manufacturers have like the speed loading system and magazine cutoff. I guess a few other are coming out with the magazine cutoff but that is not a new design for the maxus. The new wicked wing version goes even further and incorporates a larger bolt release and bolt handle for gloved hands.

The price is right, on slick guns right now the maxus stalker is $1,044 and the mosgb version is $100 more. Browning will have another rebate soon and that gun will be $100 less.

I prefer the soft shooting maxus over the kick of my SBE II. I also prefer the slim forearm of the maxus to the versa max or v3. When you consider all of the factors, including price ($2,000 SBE III), the browning maxus is the best waterfowl gun on the market. Unless you use a magazine extension. Personally I like the speed lock forearm.

What say you?
Two dogs
hunter

Remove Advertisements

DuckHuntingChat.com
Advertisement

Re: Maxus

Postby Reel Teal » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:10 pm

It's a nice gun. I almost got a maxus but felt it was a little bulky. I went with the SX3 which is a very similar piece of equipment. The breakdown is the easiest of any gas gun I've seen so far. I liked the slimmer feel over the maxus. It also seems the guns are getting wider these days

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Reel Teal
hunter

Postby Dave in AZ » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:57 pm

Concur... I bought one and love it.
I also like the SX3 though, and I would consider the SX3 maybe the best value in a duck gun, at least for the guns I look at. And the action is essentially the same (I have a 20ga SX3 and it also has the speed loading feature...).
Dave in AZ
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:53 pm

Never thought I'd like a gun as much as my Remington 1100. Love the Maxus. Lighter than the 1100 but has a good heft and great balance.
My doctor said drinking heavily can lead to a slow death. I said good, I'm not in any hurry.
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby Tgunz64 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:16 pm

Super Vinci....nuff said.
Tgunz64
hunter

Postby MNWaterfowler22 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:34 am

The Maxus is a sure fire waterfowl work horse and shoots extremely well. As for the statement of best waterfowling shotgun, that can be debated. I've seen a maxus in my duck blind turn into a one shot wonder because the gas ports weren't clean enough and the guy cleaned it more often then you stated. The nice thing about shotguns is that there are some extremely awesome shotguns and one shotgun may not be the best for someone else. That's the beauty of having a choice, you like yours and I like mine.
If that doesn't light your fire, your woods wet!
MNWaterfowler22
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:08 pm

I have fired my Maxus side by Side with my SBE II and there is no difference in recoil at all. but I rarely can tell differences in recoil in auto loaders. Now between pumps and autos I can feel the difference. My Maxus was the first one I could get in from a supplier and it had lots of issues. It would not cycle reliably and I had to take the POS completely down in the duck blind many times just to clear a jam. When it worked it worked great but was only 100% reliable with 3" ammo. The fore end was very loose and sloppy and it patterned like crap with the factory chokes. Other than that I was a great gun. :thumbsup:
CPL holder since 1991, NRA Lifetime Member, DU Member, NICET certified

"For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.—Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Dave in AZ » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:23 pm

Hmm, they've gotten better I guess.
My Maxus shoots everything I feed it, as well as 7/8oz skeet loads. I dropped it facedown in the mud (the branch it was hanging from broke during decoy setup), 1ft deep with bolt open, last year... just scooped it out, dunked gun and shook it around, worked fine rest of day. Additionally, patterns great with factory chokes. I've got 25 patterns posted somewhere here with Fed bluebox #2 and several flavors of the HG load, all solid at 40yds.
And I can absolutely tell the difference between it and a Super Vinci shooting 9/8oz loads, Maxus much softer. Haven't tried it side by side with anything else besides O/Us at the skeet range.
Dave in AZ
hunter

Postby DoubleDutchChuck » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:38 pm

I waited a year and a half to buy my Maxus, after they came on the market. By then they had problems found and solved. I have never had a problem with the gun. As for being heavier that the SX3, I can not notice the difference, whether shooting on the sporting clays range of in the duck blind.
"Listen to those Whispering Wings"
DoubleDutchChuck
hunter

Postby Red Huck » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:11 pm

Love shooting my Maxus. did have to seen it back once ,they replaced the spring in the stock and the carrier. No problems for the last 4 or 5 seasons .
Red Huck
hunter

Postby CGD » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:51 pm

If you could get a magazine tube extension for a Maxus I may agree with you. The Maxus is the only autoloader I own, but I know if I ever get the opportunity to go snow goose hunting I will be borrowing someone else's gun for that trip, just to be able to run an extension.
CGD
hunter

Postby Two dogs » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:44 am

In shotguns such as life it's all about tradeoffs. I mentioned in my earlier post some of the reasons/tradeoffs I believe to be difference makers. I have the versa max waterfowl pro, maxus and sbe II and have shot them side by side many times. There is no comparison. The gas guns recoil less. Even my old 11-87 is a softer shooting gun than any inertia gun I have ever shot and I have shot a few. I understand that recoil should not be the only factor when selecting at gun but in my opinion it matters.

I agree the factory chokes are not good. I have a set of Trulock that I am very happy with.

Regarding the sx3, I believe the action is biased on the old browning silver while the maxus has a similar yet improved action.

I have also read the 3" maxus handles lighter loads better. The 3.5 version has a different (stronger) spring that does not work as well with lighter loads.
Two dogs
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:09 am

Two dogs wrote:Regarding the sx3, I believe the action is biased on the old browning silver while the maxus has a similar yet improved action.

I have an SX3 and several Browning Golds. The internal parts are identical. From what I've seen of the Browning Silver, the internals could well be the same as the Golds and the SX3.....
Often wrong, never in doubt...
mudpack
hunter

Postby Soggy Socks » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:46 am

I like mine a lot along with my Golds, its lighter points great it is from the first batch so it had a couple glitches early on. I hate to say its the best, Usually when I say something like that it breaks!
Soggy Socks
hunter

Postby Two dogs » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:21 am

Dave in AZ wrote:Concur... I bought one and love it.
I also like the SX3 though, and I would consider the SX3 maybe the best value in a duck gun, at least for the guns I look at. And the action is essentially the same (I have a 20ga SX3 and it also has the speed loading feature...).

Dave, I cannot find anything about the 20 gage sx3 having the speed loading feature. I don't doubt what you say but can you please tell me which model you have? I am very interested. Thanks
Two dogs
hunter

Postby Darryle » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:18 am

Two dogs wrote:

Dave, I cannot find anything about the 20 gage sx3 having the speed loading feature. I don't doubt what you say but can you please tell me which model you have? I am very interested. Thanks

Gold, Silver and SX3 20ga all have speed load, I have all three
NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
NSCA Life Member 646442
Darryle
Orphanedcowboy

Postby Two dogs » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:38 pm

Darryle wrote:
Two dogs wrote:

Gold, Silver and SX3 20ga all have speed load, I have all three

I understand the Brownings you mentioned having the speed loading feature but I am surprised Winchester offeres it too. I realize Winchester is owned by Browning but why would Winchester only offer it on the 20 gage? Why not the 12 gage too?
Two dogs
hunter

Postby Red Huck » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:40 pm

Red Huck wrote:Love shooting my Maxus. did have to seen it back once ,they replaced the spring in the stock and the carrier. No problems for the last 4 or 5 seasons .

I will be looking at the new super X 4.
Red Huck
hunter

Maxus won't cycle 2.75"

Postby fumbducker » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:20 pm

Hey guys quick question on the maxus. I just got one used and im having trouble with 2.75" cycling as in not at all I tried a box and all 25 would not eject but 3"-3.5" worked like a charm never skipped a beat but when I went back to the 2.75" no dice...? I have been a fan of browning for most of my wing shooting and think this can be fixed, I hope. Got home stripped it down cleaned it again and went bare bones and pulled the recoil spring out it was a little gummed up had some rust but nothing I have not had in my golds that ran fine. Cleaned it put CLP on and reassembled. The only thing I'm finding some what off is the the spring that gives resetance to the hammer on its way back is way stiff. Maybe that needs some break in? Love the gun and it runs duck and goose loads fine witch is what it will be used for 90% of the time but on occasion I dove hunt in the eve after a day of duck hunting and want to shoot some Paloma's with it too. Thanks in Advance for the input!
fumbducker
hunter

Postby jsh909 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:53 am

Sounds like break in to me
jsh909
hunter

Postby Dave in AZ » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:52 am

He said the gun was used and it's shot 3"/3.5", so probably not break in issue.

You probably did this, but the main resistance to cycling that I see on the gun is if the TUBE that the recoil spring rides in (in the stock) is rough. You said the recoil spring had some rust, and you cleaned it-- that tells me the tube was probably crudded up too. And might have some rust? One of my guns has a plastic tube, but I think the maxus was steel-- I would run steel wool on a brass brush/rod, in a drill, in and out of there to polish it, then light lube.

Also the mouth of the tube where the linkage has to go in and out, make sure nothing is catching there.
I would run some 600 or 800 grit folded paper in the bolt rail-slots in the receiver, then make sure the bolt rails are smooth also with a swipe or two of the sandpaper.
Oh, and the last thing I did on mine-- take steel wool and polish the magazine tube really well, and remove any carbon buildup on the top of the mag tube that sits underneath the piston-holes, that gets crudded up, take it right down to metal. Then make sure the spring inside the piston is fully intact, I've heard of those breaking, which is what self-adjusts it for light shells.
good luck
Dave in AZ
hunter

Postby jsh909 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:20 am

Sorry I missed the used part.

I assumed he meant he just tried a few bigger shells, which would not be enough to break it in.
jsh909
hunter

Postby azdukhuntr » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:20 pm

Dave in AZ wrote:Hmm, they've gotten better I guess.
My Maxus shoots everything I feed it, as well as 7/8oz skeet loads. I dropped it facedown in the mud (the branch it was hanging from broke during decoy setup), 1ft deep with bolt open, last year... just scooped it out, dunked gun and shook it around, worked fine rest of day. Additionally, patterns great with factory chokes. I've got 25 patterns posted somewhere here with Fed bluebox #2 and several flavors of the HG load, all solid at 40yds.
And I can absolutely tell the difference between it and a Super Vinci shooting 9/8oz loads, Maxus much softer. Haven't tried it side by side with anything else besides O/Us at the skeet range.

I was hunting with Dave the day his Maxus took the mud bath. Completely covered and filled with mud. A quick rinse out in the river and it never missed a beat. Throughly impressed me. He let me use it on a jump shoot this year and missed out on two easy close up shots cause someone put the safety in the wrong place. I did kill a bird with the first shot I got off on that flock after remembering where the safety was. Swinging on the bird was as smooth and effortless as my 20ga O/U and I liked the light recoil for a 12ga.
"There's nothin' better than watchin' the world come alive from a duck blind"
azdukhuntr
hunter

Postby fumbducker » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:17 pm

I cleaned it with a bore brush and wrapped it in steel wool. I hope this helps it if so I might just get the stainless tube set for it and my gold hunter and call it good. Fingers crossed this works tho. If not then I need to call browning and ask bout the firing pin hammer spring cuz man that thing feels stiff.
fumbducker
hunter

Update

Postby fumbducker » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:12 am

So I cleaned the hell out of it pulled the butt off cleaned and scrubbed the tube and spring put lube in all the right spots and it still won't cycle 2.75" shells it goes back far enough to lock the hammer back but won't go back far enough to eject the hammer is locked back and I get trigger pull and firing pin snap on the second round but it is the round that was allready fired just wouldn't go back far enough to fully cycle. When I put snap caps in it and release the firing pin it is hard as hell to pull back the carrier and bolt! My lady can't pull it back and I got this for her! But it still runs 3" and 3.5" no problem. I'm am frustrated and at my wits end. The trigger group is clean and every thing looks in order it is just hard as hell to push back on the hammer spring and the the elevator spring is the same and compounds the resistance on the carrier bolt. I guess my next step is to call browning but not sure what help they will be.
fumbducker
hunter

Next

Return to Shotgun Forum