Maxus

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderator: Quack Wacker NC

Re: Maxus

Postby Dave in AZ » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:59 pm

fumb, definitely call browning. I can cycle my maxus bolt easily with one finger. Something's up with your trigger group or recoil spring.
Browning is usually pretty good about service, despite not having a written guarantee. Please post what you end up hearing from them.
Plus I think you're in AZ right? If you check the AZ forum you'll see we're doing a meetup next week at Cabelas. PM me if you can make it, and I'll bring my maxus and you can compare, and try another one I think would be good for her, 12ga SA-08.
Dave
Dave in AZ
hunter

Remove Advertisements

DuckHuntingChat.com
Advertisement

Postby Dave in AZ » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:04 pm

Read this thread fumb, it has some more things to look for, this guy had cycling issues too and found his problems in bent firing pin retaining pin!
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=226154
Dave in AZ
hunter

Postby fumbducker » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:36 pm

After reading that thread and others on shotgun forums it sounds like the sure cycle will help but I'm going to call browning first thing on Monday. And yes I'm in az but can't make it to the meet up I work that day.
fumbducker
hunter

Re: Update

Postby jmonte35 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:33 pm

fumbducker wrote:So I cleaned the hell out of it pulled the butt off cleaned and scrubbed the tube and spring put lube in all the right spots and it still won't cycle 2.75" shells it goes back far enough to lock the hammer back but won't go back far enough to eject the hammer is locked back and I get trigger pull and firing pin snap on the second round but it is the round that was allready fired just wouldn't go back far enough to fully cycle. When I put snap caps in it and release the firing pin it is hard as hell to pull back the carrier and bolt! My lady can't pull it back and I got this for her! But it still runs 3" and 3.5" no problem. I'm am frustrated and at my wits end. The trigger group is clean and every thing looks in order it is just hard as hell to push back on the hammer spring and the the elevator spring is the same and compounds the resistance on the carrier bolt. I guess my next step is to call browning but not sure what help they will be.

You and everyone here badly need to read my maxus review a few threads down. I've kept it open for almost 6 years now and update it. Edit: looks like you read it. If it were me again I wouldn't buy the sure cycle. When I had to send my gun back to browning because the bolt carrier rod broke and damaged my sure cycle I had to pay for all new parts. So I payed for the sure cycle and for browning to take it back to stock. Only way they would fix it. I understand why....too much liability for them to replace with aftermarket parts.

It will help with understanding the problem areas of this firearm. check to make sure your firing pin is moved freely in your bolt. There's just a small pin that retains your firing pin and if it gets bent it causes havoc with your action. Especially on lighter loads. That problem took me forever to diagnose.

Also you need to inspect your gas piston spring. When you pull off the barrel and forearm it is the part that releases some gases on the heavier loads. When that spring breaks it makes your firearm impossible to shoot light loads.
Last edited by jmonte35 on Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Take a kid hunting,
Jimmy
Suisun Marsh D.U. Chapter Chairman
2013 3rd annual Military Appreciation Dinner Date TBD
http://www.facebook.com/#!/SuisunMarshDU
www.suisunmarshdu.com (website down until we have next years date and info nailed down)
jmonte35
hunter

Re: Update

Postby Dave in AZ » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:36 pm

jmonte35 wrote:
fumbducker wrote:So I cleaned the hell out of it pulled the butt off cleaned and scrubbed the tube and spring put lube in all the right spots and it still won't cycle 2.75" shells it goes back far enough to lock the hammer back but won't go back far enough to eject the hammer is locked back and I get trigger pull and firing pin snap on the second round but it is the round that was allready fired just wouldn't go back far enough to fully cycle. When I put snap caps in it and release the firing pin it is hard as hell to pull back the carrier and bolt! My lady can't pull it back and I got this for her! But it still runs 3" and 3.5" no problem. I'm am frustrated and at my wits end. The trigger group is clean and every thing looks in order it is just hard as hell to push back on the hammer spring and the the elevator spring is the same and compounds the resistance on the carrier bolt. I guess my next step is to call browning but not sure what help they will be.

You and everyone here badly need to read my maxus review a few threads down. I've kept it open for almost 6 years now and update it.

It will help with understanding the problem areas of this firearm. check to make sure your firing pin is moved freely in your bolt. There's just a small pin that retains your firing pin and if it gets bent it causes havoc with your action. Especially on lighter loads. That problem took me forever to diagnose.

Also you need to inspect your gas piston spring. When you pull off the barrel and forearm it is the part that releases some gases on the heavier loads. When that spring breaks it makes your firearm impossible to shoot light loads.

Pretty sure that's the thread I linked to up 2 posts above; and that fumbducker said he read in the post directly above yours ;)
It IS a good thread with lots of useful info, thx!
Dave in AZ
hunter

Postby jmonte35 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:40 pm

Yeah just noticed there was a second page. I added some more comments since you guys talked about the sure cycle.
Take a kid hunting,
Jimmy
Suisun Marsh D.U. Chapter Chairman
2013 3rd annual Military Appreciation Dinner Date TBD
http://www.facebook.com/#!/SuisunMarshDU
www.suisunmarshdu.com (website down until we have next years date and info nailed down)
jmonte35
hunter

Postby MinneKans » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:39 am

Just received a Maxus. What's with the gap between the forearm and barel? Seems like a lot of debris can get in the gun there.
MinneKans
hunter

Postby DoubleDutchChuck » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:53 pm

MinneKans wrote:Just received a Maxus. What's with the gap between the forearm and barel? Seems like a lot of debris can get in the gun there.

I've had my Maxus for 6 years now and it also has a "gap" as you've described. This is about mid-section of the forearm and about 1/8" in width. I do not know its purpose. I can say, that in the years I have used the gun, I've never had a problem with debris collecting in the area.
"Listen to those Whispering Wings"
DoubleDutchChuck
hunter

Postby MinneKans » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:01 pm

DoubleDutchChuck wrote:
MinneKans wrote:Just received a Maxus. What's with the gap between the forearm and barel? Seems like a lot of debris can get in the gun there.

I've had my Maxus for 6 years now and it also has a "gap" as you've described. This is about mid-section of the forearm and about 1/8" in width. I do not know its purpose. I can say, that in the years I have used the gun, I've never had a problem with debris collecting in the area.

Thanks Double. I wonder if it's for gas porting?

Have you used the magazine cut off very often?
MinneKans
hunter

Postby DoubleDutchChuck » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:00 am

MinneKans wrote:
DoubleDutchChuck wrote:

Thanks Double. I wonder if it's for gas porting?

Have you used the magazine cut off very often?

I've used the cut-off, but only a few times, as I've always got two guns in the blind. When I did use it, it worked just fine.
"Listen to those Whispering Wings"
DoubleDutchChuck
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:58 am

With this action design first being used for the Silver models , then the Maxus , and now the A5's it has proven itself to
be a very reliable Gas Piston Gun . With each model there was small improvements that made it even better . It was a
shame the piston spring , that was furnished by one of their parts suppliers had such problems but Browning settled this
by replacing the spring with no questions asked . The cam action on the bolt that operates the firing pin when it's pulled
back , cocks the hammer spring into battery and the design was improved in the stock tube by putting a relief port at the
bottom so that any water or debris that would be sucked-in by the plunger could be pushed out into the stock cavity !
My Maxus runs both heavy loads and target loads with no problems as I do keep the piston assembly clean and as with any
SA the blow-by that gets behind the bolt needs to be cleaned for it to operate smoothly , this can be done if needed in the
field ,with "NO tools" , as the engineers also designed the action tube that rides on the magazine tube with a ROD that pushes
the bolt back , that is the right size to push the trigger assembly pins out so you can take the trigger out ! The forearm release
that doubles as a Sling attachment was a bright idea for the ease of access into the piston area SOOO , what is there not to
like about the Maxus ? :thumbsup: :yes:
3200 man
hunter

Postby 7summits » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:51 pm

waterfowlhunter wrote:I have fired my Maxus side by Side with my SBE II and there is no difference in recoil at all. but I rarely can tell differences in recoil in auto loaders. :thumbsup:

Did you fire 3.5" shells? I am guessing not. The inertia system is a nice system, especial how clean they run. But, they have to be light enough to cycle 2.75" shells too, so it runs light (buffer). When you fire a magnum 3.5" load the recoil is substantial. My friend has an SBE II and Super Vinci. We hunted all season long this year;me with a Maxus. They are both very similar in weight (Super V and Maxus anyway). I have shot both, and the Maxus manages the heavy load much better. IMO.
7summits
hunter

Postby Smokum870 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:32 am

I just noticed last week that my gas piston spring was broken on mine, hard telling when it happened but I know I've put a lot of rounds through it the last 4 years and only had a couple jams due to my run to failure maintenance/cleaning philosophy. just called Browning this morning and they have a new piston coming to me no questions asked, no serial number needed. Next gun will be a Wicked Wing A5. Not being able to have a mag extension for snows and NY early Canada geese really gets me but the gold 10 with an 8 plus 1 extension solved the issue.
Smokum870
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:03 am

[quote="3200 man"]With this action design first being used for the Silver models , then the Maxus , and now the A5's it has proven itself to be a very reliable Gas Piston Gun [quote]

You do realize that the A5 is not a gas piston gun, Correct? It is an inertia very much like most Benelli's

And the gold was and SX1 were using the basic gas design prior to the silver Now the SX2, 3, and 4 along with the silver are pretty much all the same system with the Maxus being a modified version.
CPL holder since 1991, NRA Lifetime Member, DU Member, NICET certified

"For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.—Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Previous

Return to Shotgun Forum