Why do shotguns have a low re sale value?

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderator: Quack Wacker NC

Why do shotguns have a low re sale value?

Postby NW Birdhunter » Thu May 18, 2017 9:13 am

Noticed that a lot of shotguns except double barrels or premium semi automatics don't have hardly any re sale value. What's up with that? :huh:
Forget the past, the past is gone forever, right now is where it's happening.
NW Birdhunter
hunter

Remove Advertisements

DuckHuntingChat.com
Advertisement

Re: Why do shotguns have a low re sale value?

Postby Smoke68 » Thu May 18, 2017 9:18 am

Provide an example please. Shotguns, at least reputable ones, have comprable resale value to most any other gun. The reason double barrels and premium semi-autos have high resale values because they have have high retail values.......
Smoke68
hunter

Postby oskar » Thu May 18, 2017 10:40 am

First you live in a rifle oriented area, a grouse gun in OR and WA is a 22 rifle. It is more waterfowl oriented than upland so semi-autos rule. In the midwest every town has a sportsmans club with at least a trap range, in the NW you have to drive a number of miles to shoot.

People have a much larger disposable income and tend to buy stuff to impress themselves and others, if it isn't the newest or have 3/3.5" chambers it is a hard sell.

There aren't as many new hunters looking for a beginners shotgun, new hunters other than children of a hunter tend to be older. Children of a hunter usually have one at there disposal until they can afford a top end gun.

There is a glut of inexpensive shotguns out there, why buy a used pump, semi auto or O/U when you can buy a new one for the same price.

If it doesn't have choke tubes or is steel safe it is not in demand and sells cheap.

There are a bunch more reasons but that is the way I see it.
Shoot the duçks you KNOW you can kill, pass on the ones you THINK you can kill.
oskar
hunter

Postby Dave in AZ » Thu May 18, 2017 11:53 am

Most all used guns I look for or at.have extremely high resale.value, 80% to 400% after 5 to 50 years. Every auto5 I see is more expensive now than when new, citori and beretta o/u lise only a couple hundred from $2000, etc..

Cheap guns lose value a bit, 50% of $400 is still $200 off same as above, but who wouldnt just buy new with reliability and.longevity concerns? No one trusts that cheap guns arent being sold because they are.p.o.c that dont function. I puchase such sometimes and just dont trust a used $200 walmart special, buy it new.for. $400 with warranty.

I actually think its the reverse.of your post, decent guns retain more resale than most anything else!
Dave in AZ
hunter

Postby BT Justice » Thu May 18, 2017 3:34 pm

As was stated cheap guns are cheap guns if they are new or used.
Problem is prices on certain pistols and rifles have gone through the roof in the past 10-15 years, even some shotguns are on the high side. Wasn't all that long ago we were buying surplus M1 Carbines for $100-$150 on the gun store shelves, try doing that today.
I'm going to show my age, when I bought my Colt Python I paid right around $495 for it new in the box, from what I've seen recently I could get $2500 -$3000 for it easily. Just depends on what you have and how badly people want it.
BT Justice
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Thu May 18, 2017 6:40 pm

BT Justice wrote:As was stated cheap guns are cheap guns if they are new or used.
Problem is prices on certain pistols and rifles have gone through the roof in the past 10-15 years, even some shotguns are on the high side. Wasn't all that long ago we were buying surplus M1 Carbines for $100-$150 on the gun store shelves, try doing that today.
I'm going to show my age, when I bought my Colt Python I paid right around $495 for it new in the box, from what I've seen recently I could get $2500 -$3000 for it easily. Just depends on what you have and how badly people want it.

BT Im really showing my age, I remember when I had a FFL and sold guns as a side line a Stainless 6 inch Colt Python could be had for 189 bucks.
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby BT Justice » Fri May 19, 2017 3:47 am

cluckmeister wrote:
BT Justice wrote:As was stated cheap guns are cheap guns if they are new or used.

BT Im really showing my age, I remember when I had a FFL and sold guns as a side line a Stainless 6 inch Colt Python could be had for 189 bucks.

You might be a bit older than I am.. :lol3:
To me the market is so overinflated in many areas today it's ridiculous, $2000 for a new auto loading shotgun really??..and some people will pay it. Autoloaders were always a bit more than other types of shotguns but the overpricing that goes on today is a bit much, and the worst part about it is most of the shotguns built today are not half as good as shotguns built years ago. We never saw the amount of failures and crap guns produced today years ago.
BT Justice
hunter

Postby mudpack » Fri May 19, 2017 7:12 am

Dave in AZ wrote:I actually think its the reverse.of your post, decent guns retain more resale than most anything else!

As one who is always looking for good deals on used shotguns, I have found the same thing to be true, Dave.
Often wrong, never in doubt...
mudpack
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Fri May 19, 2017 7:24 am

That's a fact BT, just with the materials used these days in shotguns to make them easier to produce along with the
space age designs turns some of us Old timers off ! The marketing BS that goes along with what's best....is a joke !
The craftsmanship of a Gunsmith along with a Stockmaker/Fitter are only to be had (mostly) by clay target shooters .
The interesting thing that's been lost is , if you ever had a shotgun built and fitted for a particular purpose it would be
for a lifetime's use ......and some still are at "not much more" than what's being spent on a gun these days . :yes:
3200 man
hunter

Postby Tim Terrell » Fri May 19, 2017 9:30 am

As others have stated, a quality firearm--pistol, shotgun, rifle--should not only hold it's value, but appreciate in value with the passing of time. I just finished having my firearms collection appraised for insurance purposes and there were some very pleasant surprises.

I found the bill of sale for Dad's Winchester Model 12. He bought it Sept 3, 1965 and paid $85.00. It appraised for $1,745.00... and that ain't a bad return on the original investment.

Make a point to buy quality in the first place. When you pass a gun down to your sons/daughters they will appreciate the fact you had good taste for quality-made firearms... and invested wisely. I recall someone stating that a quality collection of firearms gain 8% in value each year. Not sure if that's true today, but I come from an age where quality guns, gold and good liquor were always considered inflation-proof investments. :thumbsup:
Tim Terrell
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Fri May 19, 2017 10:09 am

It is hard trying to make a Diamond out of a brick.
Quality is always the way to go if you have the money...........

but cheap will put food on the table.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby NW Birdhunter » Fri May 19, 2017 10:39 am

Back in the day the hottest thing going was a Remington 1100 and now you can find used ones now for practically nothing, same with Remington 870's. I saw a old pristine 870 12 Magnum with ventilated rib, beautiful wood, looked as though it had never been used for $300.00. Talked to a large gun dealer and he told me there isn't any money in old used pump shotguns because you can buy brand new ones with warranties for a couple hundred. The only shotguns I have seen that really hold the value are the premium side by sides and premium over and under. Beretta Auto loaders seem to do well. Not true with the old Winchester's or Remingtons. Seems nobody wants an old one. I have a Winchester 1200 with beautiful walnut stock, ventilated rib and choke tubes, I can't give away. Same with a Remington 11-87 :no:
NW Birdhunter
hunter

Postby BT Justice » Sat May 20, 2017 5:02 am

NW Birdhunter wrote:Back in the day the hottest thing going was a Remington 1100 and now you can find used ones now for practically nothing, same with Remington 870's. I saw a old pristine 870 12 Magnum with ventilated rib, beautiful wood, looked as though it had never been used for $300.00. Talked to a large gun dealer and he told me there isn't any money in old used pump shotguns because you can buy brand new ones with warranties for a couple hundred. The only shotguns I have seen that really hold the value are the premium side by sides and premium over and under. Beretta Auto loaders seem to do well. Not true with the old Winchester's or Remingtons. Seems nobody wants an old one. I have a Winchester 1200 with beautiful walnut stock, ventilated rib and choke tubes, I can't give away. Same with a Remington 11-87 :no:

Probably both nice guns. What holds back a lot of hunting guns today is fixed chokes and bluing/wood. These days it's not considered a hunting shot gun by many unless it has some kind of a camouflage finish on it, 30 years ago we shot the crap out of birds with blued guns and wood stocks as that's all there really was. Apparently now game birds can't be taken with anything but the latest camo finished guns, I keep that in mind when I take out one of my old Elsie or Baker SxS's and still shot my fill of birds.. :wink:
BT Justice
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sat May 20, 2017 7:01 am

NW Birdhunter wrote: I have a Winchester 1200 with beautiful walnut stock, ventilated rib and choke tubes, I can't give away.

How much do you want for that orphaned turd, NW?
mudpack
hunter

Postby NW Birdhunter » Sat May 20, 2017 1:28 pm

mudpack wrote:
NW Birdhunter wrote: I have a Winchester 1200 with beautiful walnut stock, ventilated rib and choke tubes, I can't give away.

How much do you want for that orphaned turd, NW?

I've been asking $200.00 Beautiful wood, looks like it's never been used. Problem is you add in transfer fee $20.00, and background check $10.00, now you're at the same price of a brand new Winchester speed pump! :no:
NW Birdhunter
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sat May 20, 2017 2:40 pm

So, then, I guess you'll have to accept $100 if you want someone to buy it, right? PM me if you decide to....
mudpack
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum