Remington 105 CTI II Review (Long Term)

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Re: Remington 105 CTI II Review vs. SBE II (Long Term)

Postby ohio mike » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:08 pm

Heres just a passing thought.It seems as though most waterfowlers value the ability to throw enormus loads of shot at extreme veloscity as the main reason for buying their particular brand of gun.I want less recoil and a lighter good handling gun.Thus the reason I bought a 105 CTI.As long as I can shoot 1 1/4 loads such as Heavy Metal,Kent, or Black Cloud I'm a happy camper.As a matter of fact 1 1/8 oz loads suit me just fine.I seldom shoot over 40 yards anyway. I'm gonna try some of the 2 3/4 loads such as Federal that so many guys seem to like.I'm not the kind of guy that thinks only my choice of guns are the only thing worth having.I personally don't buy anything not made in the U.S.A. but thats me and I don't fault anybody who does otherwise. I really like my CTI and don't want to replace it. Its simply a matter of finding the right loads,not all guns can handleall loadsdespite what the manufacturer claims.In my case it was simply a matter that I assumed Remington plus Remington ammo equals good results.Not so.
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:51 pm

Got the gun back today(Friday).Ran 21 rounds thru it combo trap loads, 3" Steel (Kents), and High brass lead 4's.All without a problem.Back in business for tomorrow.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby FullandFuller » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:48 pm

That is good to hear.

I think Remington ammo surprised a lot of gun makers (including Remington Arms) with the hypersonics. The peak pressure is kept low enough but boy oh boy do those shells have a lot of powder in them.
bmoy1920 wrote:LOVE Giada!! I would love to use my pass on her!

FullandFuller
hunter

Postby base7ballrj » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:48 pm

well... due to an unforseen snow storm here in minnesota, the pheasant hunting trip did not quite work out. :huh: also, i discovered that the place we're going is a wildlife management area and it's illegal to use lead shot. so....long story short, i most likely won't get a chance to shoot the prairie storm shells for, well, let's just say i wouldn't hold my breath if i were you. hahaha.
base7ballrj
hunter

Postby Augusta » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:31 am

Just thought I would drop a note to see how everyone's guns have performed so far this season. Mine worked perfect until it got cold, and when I say cold, I mean less than 20 degrees outside. When it is cold, the gun does not want to cycle. It will drop the 2nd shell. It appears the forks are coming down to slow to pickup the next round, as the next round is "thrown" to the ground. I have even tried to run the gun "dry", and the problem persisted. It does this will all types of shells. When it was warm outside, the gun worked perfectly. I should mention that I have not tried 3 inch shells, only 2 3/4 inch. I will test 3 inch shell on the next cold spell and will post the results. On a side note, I am down to 2 CTI II's, I sold one to a friend of mine. He wanted it so badly, I couldn't say no. So, now I have a Versa Max on order and am waiting for that to come.
Augusta
hunter

Postby norcalhunter13 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:42 pm

I have been really busy, but i have gone out a few times, without problems. However, I had the same exact problem Augusta mentioned when it got cold out. It is very frustrating, still managed to get some birds though! I was also using only 2 3/4 inch shells, and the temperature was about 20 degrees or so. When it warmed up, my gun worked just fine again.

I will write up a full report later on in the upcoming weeks, I promise, just too busy right now.

My guess as to what the culprit is: left over factory oil, or other gun oil, that is freezing or stiffing up, causing the gun to drop the second shell, due to a slow carrier or slow magazine release.

Maybe less oil residue or something will fix it. Maybe wipe down all parts thoroughly, if you are hunting in cold conditions, not sure yet.

I use Break Free CLP, which is supposed to work down to -65 F. :huh:

What were you using for gun oil Augusta?

Also did anybody else have a similar problem?
"Quit?
Just When It's
Getting Good?"

Proud Member of CWA
Proud Member of Ducks Unlimited
Proud Member of Delta Waterfowl
norcalhunter13
hunter

Postby Augusta » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:19 pm

Norc:
I use Rem oil, but when I started to have trouble with the shell dropping in cold weather, as an experiment, I cleaned the gun very throughly with Gun Scrubber, then I tried the gun without any lube, same problem. We have another cold weekend coming up, I plan on tring 3 inch shells to see if that makes any difference. I will post my results next week.
Augusta
hunter

Postby norcalhunter13 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:03 pm

Alright thanks for the information. Based on this information the only other culprit that I can think of is that the rate reduction cylinder in the stock contains an "oil" filled housing supposedly. I wonder if this is the problem, and that it gets stiff in the cold and when shooting it results an an abnormally slow cycle backwards with the empty shell and by the time the empty shell is all the way back and ready to be pushed down by the carrier prongs, the next load in the magazine is ejected free, due to the bolt slide being all the way back, and releasing the stop feed latch for the magazine tube, however the carrier prongs are not down yet and therefore the fresh shell falls out?

By the way when this happened to me I was shooting my newer 105 cti 2, and I know that the rate reduction cylinder in there is practically brand stinking new, so it should not be a "weak spring issue".

Maybe try 3 inch shells, but maybe try 2 3/4 inch shells first.... When you use the 2 3/4 inch shells try and open and close the chamber like 10-15 times, when you are out in the cold before you shoot, and see if the increase in a lot of sudden friction warms up the rate reduction housing, resulting in the loss of stiffness, and being able to cycle the shells quickly and properly.

Just my two cents
"Quit?
Just When It's
Getting Good?"

Proud Member of CWA
norcalhunter13
hunter

Postby Augusta » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:34 pm

Has anyone taken the rate controller apart? I had mine off once, but never really looked at it. I know that it splits and one end had a spring it it.
Augusta
hunter

Postby Augusta » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:14 am

Well took my stock off last nite and checked the rate controller. It was very clean, so I decided to try a test. I put the rate controller outside in 5 above weather for two hours, the cold weather appeared to have no effect on the rate controller. It worked very easily and smooth, there was no difference in the way it worked when it was warm or cold.
Augusta
hunter

Postby Augusta » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:19 am

Ohio Mike, how is your gun working? Are you having the same problem as Norcal and myself?
Augusta
hunter

Postby norcalhunter13 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:24 pm

Thanks for the test report. We are narrowing it down slowly.. :thumbsup:
"Quit?
Just When It's
Getting Good?"

Proud Member of CWA
norcalhunter13
hunter

Postby Augusta » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:02 pm

Now if I only had a high speed camera..... :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
Augusta
hunter

Postby norcalhunter13 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:37 pm

I was thinking the same thing! :lol3:

Looking at the owner's maunal it says that "once the bolt is fully open, the carrier sweeps downward ejecting the spent shell out of the ejection/loading port. After the shell is ejected, the carrier moves the new shell released from the magazine and places it in front of the bolt."

This is were we are having the problem. For some reason the shell in the magazine tube is coming out early, and either getting pushed down with the empty shell, or simply fall out with now carrier to catch it.

I know for a FACT that IF that carrier was in the proper position when the shell is released from the magazine tube, that IT WILL NOT fall out and go up into the gun like it should.

So we are having issues with the carrier either being in the wrong place (due to mechanical issues in the cold), or with the magazine tube not releasing shells in the correct time sequence(due to mechanical issues in the cold).

Looking at the parts list, the feed latch, carrier springs, or the interceptor latch, all could be the problem. So we need to look at these parts critically. I know that springs lose some of their force, when cold, but I honestly don't think it is a carrier spring problem. I think there is an issue with the feed latch, and maybe the metal contracts or expands...or something, and when it is cold, and you shoot the RECOIL from the gun is causing the feed latch to release the shell way too early.

So Augusta, take a close look at your feed latch, that is my current recommendation. See if you can see and figure out EXACTLY when the feed latch releases and how it releases a shell from the magazine tube.

Let me know what you find.
"Quit?
Just When It's
Getting Good?"

Proud Member of CWA
norcalhunter13
hunter

Postby Augusta » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:08 pm

Norcal:
When I first started having problems, I blamed the feed latch as well, but I could never tell for sure if that was the problem. I have fired several rounds with the butt of the gun on the ground and myself facing the ejector/loader port. Things just happend too fast to see what is going on.That's why I wished I had a high speed camera :lol3: . But you are right, the second shell is either coming out too fast, or the forks are coming down too slow. My first thought was that the concussion of the shot was causing the feed latch to "wiggle" and release the shell early, as if the feed latch spring was too light of a spring, but now I am not so sure. If you operate the gun manually, you will see that the feed latch is operated by the rail moving back, but that's not to say it's not opening too early. I really think you are right though, it's one of the above mentioned areas that are causing the problem. It's funny how all of us can shoot the light loads just fine, but not the heavier loads. It should be told that the empty shell comes out first, the second shell comes out last. I wish Remington would test fire these guns with heavy loads.
Augusta
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:06 pm

Guys, Its the interruptor not the feed latch.Make sure its completely clean all around it .Then a slight hit of WD40 and blow it out. :thumbsup:
ohio mike
hunter

Postby norcalhunter13 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:54 am

Just to confirm ohio mike, you are talking about the interceptor latch right? Part #24 in the owner's manual diagram?
"Quit?
Just When It's
Getting Good?"

Proud Member of CWA
norcalhunter13
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:58 pm

Yep,my bad.Also try streaching the action spring a little,or if you bought a spare change it.It would be nice to know if a aftermarket spring such as for 1100 or 1187 would fit,such as come in the custom upgrade kits for most autos.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby Augusta » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:24 am

Ohio Mike;
I have tried stretching my spring by about an inch, no difference. Just to make sure that we are all on the same page, the problem Norcal and I are having is we load three shells, fire the first round, then the second shell falls to the ground, the third shell remains in the magazine.

Ohio Mike; Are you having the same problem as Norcal and I?
Augusta
hunter

Postby Augusta » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:08 pm

Did my cold weather test today. It was 12 degrees outside, with a light breeze out of the north. I took my 3 inch,
1550 ft/sec, 1 1/8 ounce, # 2 shot, Remington Nitro Steel shot with me today. I only saw two roosters, one flew out of the other side of the trees, and the dog got the other one :clapping: . So, I had to improvise and "simulate" pheasant hunting :biggrin: . I was out for one and a half hours, walking into the breeze, and then I started my test. I fired a total of 9 rounds, 6 at individual intervals at different times during the hour and a half, and a final 3 shots in rapid fire. The gun performed perfectly every single time, no cycle failures period! I was a very happy camper. I will continue this type of testing as the month and winter goes by in even colder weather, using different types of 3 inch shells and will continue to post my results. I did not try any 2 3/4 inch shells simply because I already knew that I would have problems based on my previous experiences during the last cold spells (same conditions as today).
Augusta
hunter

Postby norcalhunter13 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:27 pm

Did you adjust or do anything to the interceptor latch Augusta??

Glad to hear that the 3 inch shells works. I will keep that as a last resort, for cold conditions.
"Quit?
Just When It's
Getting Good?"

Proud Member of CWA
norcalhunter13
hunter

Postby Augusta » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:34 pm

Norcal:
No, I did not do anything to the inceptor latch. My inceptor latch is working as it should.
Augusta
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:13 pm

Augusta wrote:Ohio Mike;
I have tried stretching my spring by about an inch, no difference. Just to make sure that we are all on the same page, the problem Norcal and I are having is we load three shells, fire the first round, then the second shell falls to the ground, the third shell remains in the magazine.

Ohio Mike; Are you having the same problem as Norcal and I?

I did have but a good cleaning took care of it. Hence the WD40 advice. When I sent mine back because of my Hypersonic debacle Remington replaced the spring and interceptor for some reason. IMO the biggest thing with these guns is they gotta be clean and almost dry.I switched to CLP cause I've read some good things about it.This isn't a gun for anybody that wants to clean a gun once or twice a year.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby Augusta » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:19 am

Ohio: Thanks for the tip. I switched to BreakFree CLP as well. I had been using the Rem Wipes, but discontinued them becasue I too heard so many good things about BreekFree CLP. I have always paid special attention when I clean my Feed latch and Inerceptor latch. I spray Gun Scrubber behind each latch when I clean my gun. I wonder why Remington replaced the Inerceptor latch? Maybe after the season, I will send mine back and see if they will replace that latch, can't hurt. I did have a spare action spring as well, I tried that as well to no avail. Can I ask if you shoot high velocity 2 3/4 inch shells? I don't think I have ever had a 2 3/4 inch Prairie Storm 1500 ft/sec cycle yet, same as the Federal High velocity 2 3/4 inch, 1500 ft/sec shells. It is very rare for them to cylce as well. But the Walmart federal 2 3/4 inch 1200 ft/sec shells cycle just perfectly. Looks like we are going to have a very cold weekend, single digit highs. I will try some more cold weather testing using 3 inch shells. I want to try the Prairie Storm 3 inch shells, Black Cloud 3 inch, and maybe some 3 inch KentFast Steels. I hear many good things about KentFast Steel. Once again, thanks for the tip Ohio.
Augusta
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:18 pm

I shoot all 3" steel for waterfowl.For upland I use Remington STS or Winchester AA sporting Clays loads in 71/2 for my first two shots followed by Remington Long Range or Express in 4 or 5 for a third follow up.Being the third shot it probably wouldn't affect the cycling at all.
ohio mike
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Shotgun Forum