Remington 105 CTI II Review (Long Term)

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Re: Remington 105 CTI II Review vs. SBE II (Long Term)

Postby Augusta » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:36 am

Ohio:
Thanks for the info. Since Norcal and I seem to be the only ones having troubles, and we are both upland hunters, I have been suspecting that the other CTI owners are waterfowlwers, and I know waterfowlers can only use steel shot which comes mostly in 3 inch factory loads. Hence, the reason from my testing 3 inch shells. I have used 3 inch steel, but only when I am on Water Fowl Production Areas, and this is rare as we do not have too many of those places where I live, and I don't hunt waterfowl. But like I said, I have used 3 inch steel high velocity shells and they have always cycled, never a problem regardless of weather. I have never had a problem with the 2 3/4 inch, 1300 ft/sec STS shells either, and I have shot over ten boxes of those during trap shooting, they cycle perfectly, as do the Walmart Federal 2 3/4 inch, 1200 ft/sec shells, again, never a problem in over ten boxes. But when it comes to the Federal Premium High Velocity 2 3/4 inch, 1500 ft/sec or Prairie Storm 2 3/4 inch, 1500 ft/sec, and those are very "hot" shells, they just don't want to cycle, it's too bad, because those are my main pheasant shells. So in effect, I am going to try different 3 inch shells, I guess I will be looking to replace the Federal High Velocitys and Prairie Storms with a 3 inch shell that I can find to be equal to them. Once again, thanks for the info. By the way, still waiting for my new VersaMax to arrive.
Last edited by Augusta on Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Augusta
hunter

Postby LunkerTalk » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:53 am

I will pass on the remington since the problem they have had. Good review none the less.
LunkerTalk
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:47 am

Hi Guys (CTI owners)

It's a little cold here today and the season's in split, so I decided to read all the posts on this entire thread. Wow! "As the World Turns" has got nothing on you fellas with your CTI problems. Maybe you've got a 'reality show' in the works! Or, hey, you may want to get CNN involved and they could do another butcher job on Remington and their CTI like they did on their Model 700!

I've owned, and still do own 11 or 12 shotguns (no CTI's) and I doubt I've had the total of them apart less for cleanings than you fellas have for malfunction problems. Also, I've never had to send any of them back to the factory ...and I shoot a LOT!

However, that said, I do applaud your perserverance! Not being critical, the good thing that appears evident, is that each of you are quickly becoming a "gunsmith on the CTI 105." Also, it shoulders nicely!

Good Luck,
TFG
Last edited by tenfingergrip on Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:45 pm

tenfingergrip wrote:Hi Guys (CTI owners)

It's a little cold here today and the season's in split, so I decided to read all the posts on this entire thread. Wow! "As the World Turns" has got nothing on you fellas with your CTI problems. Maybe you've got a 'reality show' in the works! Or, hey, you may want to get CNN involved and they could do another butcher job on Remington and their CTI like they did on their Model 700!

I've owned, and still do own 11 or 12 shotguns (no CTI's) and I doubt I've had the total of them apart for cleanings than you fellas have for malfunction problems. Also, I've never had to send any of them back to the factory ...and I shoot a LOT!

However, that said, I do applaud your perserverance! Not being critical, the good thing that appears evident, is that each of you are quickly becoming a "gunsmith on the CTI 105." Also, it shoulders nicely!

Good Luck,
TFG

Pretty amazing huh? Its just that the things are so nice to shoot.I can hand mine to anybody no matter how nice a gun they shoot and after about ten rounds they usually go "WOW thats amazing,or I really like that.
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby Augusta » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:50 pm

+1 These are the nicest guns I have ever shot or held in my hands. I wouldn't trade mine for anything. There will always be a CTI II in my gun cabinet.
Augusta
hunter

Postby base7ballrj » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:41 pm

Agreed guys. i may not be by any means an "expert" when it comes to guns, but i know enough to say that this gun is my favorite BY FAR. sure, it needs a good cleaning every 250-300 rounds, but i love it enough where i don't look at cleaning as a chore, but more of a joy. it's soft shooting, shoulders great, LOOKS great, and goes "bang!" when it's supposed to. Thank you, Remington. :grooving:
base7ballrj
hunter

Postby Augusta » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:31 pm

Wow, I had to dig a long ways to find this thread. Anyone have any updates to share? On a side note, our pheasant season is over, between myself, my family, and our 3 CTI II's, their are 70 less roosters flying around. :thumbsup:
Augusta
hunter

Postby base7ballrj » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:37 pm

Nice work Augusta!!! I'm pretty excited because one of the local gun clubs is opening up their winter sporting clays course this weekend! :grooving: Should be pretty awesome. I'll watch for cold weather cycling problems, as it's supposed to be pretty cold here this weekend, and report back after.
base7ballrj
hunter

Postby Augusta » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:11 am

Base, sounds like fun. I did do some cold weather testing a week ago. It was 12 degrees above zero and no wind. I tested, Remington Nitro Steel #2 shot, 3 inch, 1 1/8 ounce, 1550ft/sec. The gun cylcled just fine, no failures. I also tested Federal Black Cloud 3 inch, #3 shot, 1 1/4 ounce, 1450 ft/second, once again, the gun cycled perfectly every time, no failures. For both of these tests, I used a total of 25 shells per test during the entire day for a total of 50 shots. I tried 3 inch, #5 shot, 1 5/8 ounce, 1350 ft/second, Federal Prairie Storm, the gun would only cycle these loads about half the time. I am coming to the conclusion that my cycling problems are related to the type of shell I am shooting, and not the gun. I did try this same test when it was 10 degrees below zero with a 10 mile per hour wind blowing on the gun. I left the gun outside for one hour. It would not cycle any of the loads mentioned above. I have yet to see any auto shotgun work under those brutal conditions, so I deemed this to be normal. I should mention that all season and before it got cold, I was shooting the Fiocchi GPX Golden Pheasant, 2 3/4 inch, #5 shot, 1 3/8 ounce, 1485 ft/second loads and these shell cycled just perfectly, at least until it got cold. I was originally using Rem Oil before I switched to CLP. I know that they're many on this website that claim Rem Oil gums up when it gets below 32 degrees, so who knows, maybe that had something to do with my problem after it first got cold last fall. Time will tell I guess. I am seriously thinking of switching to steel loads only just because it seems like someday lead is going to be banned. They try to ban it evey year in my state. But anyway, after a full season of very hard pheasant hunting, I am extremely pleased with my CTI II. I have owned 870 Wingmasters for 30 years and this is the first season in those 30 years that my 870 did not fire a shot. I think that alone is a testament as to how nice this gun really is. The second testament comes from my wife who did not shoot or hunt. WIth this gun, she shoots on average 20/25 clay pigeons, with my 870, she could only do at best, 4/25, now that is one heck of an improvement, and it is do to her using a CTI II. The benefit to that is simple, for the first time ever, she came pheasant hunting with me because she now has the confidence in her shooting ability, and once again, I can thank the CTI II for this. In conclusion, I can firmly state that these are by far the finest guns I have ever owned.
Last edited by Augusta on Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
Augusta
hunter

Postby norcalhunter13 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:49 am

I will post an update soon. Been really busy. I hope to do a post this weekend. The gun has been performing pretty well though! Long story short though, I am am having some trigger problems with my Cti 2, and it needs to go back to the factory to get tuned. More to come.
"Quit?
Just When It's
Getting Good?"

Proud Member of CWA
Proud Member of Ducks Unlimited
Proud Member of Delta Waterfowl
norcalhunter13
hunter

Postby Augusta » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:23 am

Norcal:
Can I ask what troubles you are having with your trigger? Thanks
Augusta
hunter

Postby Augusta » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:21 am

Forgot to mention in my previous post. I am still waiting for my Versamax. I understand that Remington is now shipping them so I hope to have it soon.
Augusta
hunter

Postby base7ballrj » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:15 pm

The versa max looks SOOOOOO cool. I'm excited to see how it fares with the general public.
base7ballrj
hunter

Postby base7ballrj » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:45 pm

Hey guys, just got back from the sporting clays range with great news!!!!!!!! My gun cycled FLAWLESSLY outside in the cold all day long. My buddy and i put just over a hundred shells through it with ZERO problems. We both used 2 3/4 inch, 1 1/8 oz, 1200 fps Federal Top Gun target loads. Never once did my gun drop a shell from the magazine. Also, i took some of the Prairie Storm shells with too to do a little experimenting. On a report pair, i put a 2 3/4 in. shell in the chamber and a 3 in. shell in the magazine. After the first shot, the gun cycled perfectly and then shot the 3 in. and cycled it perfectly. I was impressed with how my gun handled. It was 0 degrees when i left my house, and 3 hours later when i got home it was about 16 degrees. So, all in all, a GREAT day on the sporting clays range, with pretty good results as well.
base7ballrj
hunter

Postby Augusta » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:03 pm

Base, that's good to hear! I have never had a single problem shooting the Federal Trap loads like the ones you mentioned above, and I have shot well over 500 rounds of them between my two CTI II's. I can shoot the 3 inch steel Remington Nitro 1550 ft/sec loads with no problem along with the 3 inch steel Black Cloud loads too. My only problem comes from the Federal High Velocity shells, like the 2 3/4 inch 1500 ft/sec loads and the Prairie Storm 1500 ft/sec loads, Sometimes I can cycle three loads in a row, and next time, I will drop shells. I cannot figure that out yet. Sure wish I had a high speed camera. :lol3:
I should mention that all my CTI II's act this way. I really think the guns do not like "hot" shells.
Augusta
hunter

Postby kreech » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:38 pm

Here is something you 105CTi 2 shooters might try to reduce the cold weather feeding problems and that is Lucas Gun Oil. I have been using it for several years now and won't use anything else and that includes using it on my 105CTi along with the rest of my guns. I have yet to be deemed worthy of a CTi II, but then mine works just fine.
kreech
Newb

Postby norcalhunter13 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:45 pm

Thanks for the information! I appreciate it, I will have to look into that gun oil. I have not had feeding problems like I described until that November incident in the cold.

Also ohio mike to answer you question briefly, the problem with the trigger assembly is that the hammer is getting jammed in the upright position. I really am hoping I will be able to get a full report up tomorrow evening for you guys. Sorry just been busy lately..but I have not forgotten!
"Quit?
Just When It's
Getting Good?"

Proud Member of CWA
norcalhunter13
hunter

Postby Augusta » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:59 pm

Norcal:
If you mean by having the trigger assembly out of the gun and manually cocking the trigger while holding it in your hand and then pulling the trigger and then the hammer is stuck in the upright position, all three of my CTi II's do that as well. Not sure if this is what you're refering too, but just thought I would pass on my experience.
Augusta
hunter

Postby Augusta » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:01 pm

kreech wrote:Here is something you 105CTi 2 shooters might try to reduce the cold weather feeding problems and that is Lucas Gun Oil. I have been using it for several years now and won't use anything else and that includes using it on my 105CTi along with the rest of my guns. I have yet to be deemed worthy of a CTi II, but then mine works just fine.

Can I ask what shells you shoot? Thanks
Augusta
hunter

Postby jack31850 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:54 pm

Has anyone tried Break Free Clp on their 105 cti ll?
jack31850
hunter

Postby norcalhunter13 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:13 pm

Alright, so here is my update. Sorry I have been so busy.

First of all thank you all who have contributed their information. It sure seems that we manage to learn a LOT of new things about these 105 cti's each year.

Also Augusta just so you know, I primarily waterfowl hunt, I do upland hunt a lot too, just not has much, and I use only 2 3/4 inch non toxic loads or lead loads. Usually Wingmaster HD's for no-toxic, they pattern and perform very well, the only downside is the cost.

I have now used the 105 cti 2 in 20 degree weather three days in a row, and did not experience problems with the shotgun ejecting live rounds like I did on that day in November. However, I did experience a few jams/failure to cycles, however usually it was not a very big deal, because I was hitting and killing birds on the first shot anyway... :grooving: A real testament to how well this gun shoots.

Towards the end of December I experienced an all out failure of my shotgun. It would only shoot 1 round at a time, and it would NOT feed in another round. It would eject the used round, but it would not load another. And each time I had to take the gun apart in order to get the gun action moving again. I even tried wiping down the gun in the field to see if it was a friction or gunk build up problem. When it failed to cycle I could not pull the action back no matter how hard I pulled. After tinkering around, I came to the conclusion that the problem might be the rate reduction system wearing out, because the action (once I got it unstuck) was getting stuck halfway when I released the action to close, and I had to manually close it. The auto feed feature, was failing too. The action would get stuck halfway closed with a live round.

So I installed my new rate reduction system that I had and cleaned out the entire gun really good. During the cleaning I noticed that front screw closest to the magazine tube, on the trigger assembly had come lose. So I adjusted it and re-tightened the screw. During this time, I noticed that that when dry firing the hammer would go too far and get stuck, due to the hammer going to far and piston pushing up catching up under that little edge on the hammer. It did this before too, but it was not as difficult to get unstuck. My other CTI 2 does not do this at all, when I dry fire it. Anyway so I put it all back together, with the only changes being the rate reduction system, and fixing that lose screw and test fired it. It would NOT cycle rounds still, but it would eject the empty! So I installed my other cit 2's trigger assembly system, and it cycled rounds flawlessly, and I just ended up hunting the rest of the season with my gun that way, with only one hick up on on overhead passing shot, in which I think the shell failed to kick out properly due to angle and position of the gun.

The problem that I think is occurring is that the hammer is getting stuck in the upright position, and does not allow the action to properly go backwards with the correct timing. So I am going to send it back in March, and have them take a look at it.

Overall though, I am still loving the gun, it did cost me some birds this season, and frustration, but it is still my favorite shotgun.

Also on another note I keep a log book on waterfowl hunting success. I discovered that when shooting at waterfowl my chances of actually bringing down a bird has greatly improved since I got the 105 cti 2. Before I had my 105 cti 2 it was only 64% followed by another season of 64%, after I got the 105 cti 2 it has been, 89% and 87%. Goes to show you the importance of gun fit!!!

Anyways, that is it for now, because there is nothing I can do about the trigger assembly, besides send it back. Unless somebody else has an idea.....

Also I have been using Break Free CLP to clean both my 105 cti 2's since I got them, and I now use some of the shooter's choice gun grease on the required action assembly parts for both guns as well.

Cheers!
"Quit?
Just When It's
Getting Good?"

Proud Member of CWA
norcalhunter13
hunter

Postby norcalhunter13 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:02 pm

QUICK UPDATE:

I called Remington up today, to complain about my cycling issues. Good news they DON’T want me to send the shotgun back! I told them how I identified the problem being the trigger plate assembly malfunctioning, and causing it to fail to cycle, and they are sending me a brand new trigger plate assembly for free! No questions asked!

Two thumbs up to Remington for TOP notch customer service, and standing behind their product!!

The part is also in stock and I should have it in about 14 days or so! :thumbsup:
Last edited by norcalhunter13 on Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Quit?
Just When It's
Getting Good?"

Proud Member of CWA
norcalhunter13
hunter

Postby jack31850 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:49 pm

That is good service!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jack31850
hunter

Postby Augusta » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:12 pm

Norcal, keep me posted as to how your new trigger assembly works. Just a side note, I recieved my Versa Max the other day. Took it out today, it was 1 degree below zero, and no wind. I shot a number of rounds through it, light target loads to 3 1/2 inch heavy loads. The gun worked perfectly everytime, even when using a combination of light and heavy loads. It ejected the light loads out to six feet, the heavy loads to 18 feet. I will not do a review of the gun, simply because I don't feel qualified for that, but at the moment, it appears this is going to be one sweet gun. It's a little heavier than the CTI II, but still very nice, it has the feel of the 870 Wingmaster. I see this gun as being my "back up" gun for the CTI II. I still consider my CTI II gun to be my favorite for the time being.
Augusta
hunter

Postby norcalhunter13 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:55 pm

I will keep you posted on the trigger assembly, it has not arrived yet.

Out of curiosity how does the recoil compare on Versa max to the 105 cti 2??

I was thinking about getting one, as a back up to, the gas system seems to be be well thought out, in terms of reducing the number of required cleanings, not sure how it handles though, have not had a chance to hold or shoot one.
"Quit?
Just When It's
Getting Good?"

Proud Member of CWA
norcalhunter13
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Shotgun Forum