Remington 105 CTI II Review (Long Term)

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Re: Remington 105 CTI II Review vs. SBE II (Long Term)

Postby Augusta » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:10 pm

Norcal, the recoil was very light, I thought it was lighter than the CTI II, but keep in mind, I had a heavy winter coat on too... it was very cold out there today...also, this is the first 3 1/2 inch gun I have ever owned.
Augusta
hunter

Postby jack31850 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:31 pm

You guys either ain't married or your wives are forgiving. The weekend I bought my 105 cti II, my wife & I went to the DU Expositon in Dallas. That was the weekend I found out about the Versamax from a Remington Rep. I would have held out for the Versamax instead of the 105 cti II. She would _______ if I bought another shotgun.
jack31850
hunter

Postby Augusta » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:35 pm

Jack, I got a very sweet deal on mine, if I told you what I paid for it, you would cry.....I got the duck blind mossy camo too....
Augusta
hunter

Postby base7ballrj » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:48 pm

How much was your Versa max??
base7ballrj
hunter

Postby Augusta » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:53 pm

$800.00, brand new out of the box....need a kleenex.... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Augusta
hunter

Postby base7ballrj » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:46 pm

WOOOOOOOOOOOOW. :eek: how'd you come across that smokin' deal?!?!?!?
base7ballrj
hunter

Postby norcalhunter13 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:28 am

Dang!! That is a great deal! :thumbsup: How did you managed to pull that off? Do you have friends in high places...lol!
"Quit?
Just When It's
Getting Good?"

Proud Member of CWA
Proud Member of Ducks Unlimited
Proud Member of Delta Waterfowl
norcalhunter13
hunter

Postby jack31850 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:33 am

Did any of you get the email about this site being down due to malwarebytes or whatever and then again it is now safe aand running?
jack31850
hunter

Postby Augusta » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:17 pm

jack31850 wrote:Did any of you get the email about this site being down due to malwarebytes or whatever and then again it is now safe aand running?

I didn't get any e-mail like that.
It's a long story on how I got that deal, but I couldn't pass it up.
Augusta
hunter

Postby dirtdobber » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:40 pm

I received my 105 CTi II and throughly read the manual. This is a gun I discovered on auction arms that had only been fired probably ten times at most. I then in turn ordered the proper Remington ammo for the 200 round break-end period. Remington Recommends their Nitro 27 Premier Handicap 1235 FPS, 1 1/8 oz. shot. This particular round is suppose to "season" the gas system. I took the gun out this evening and actually did some shooting. The gun has been impressive thus far with zero flaws. I'll continue to report as I use the weapon more. The gun is just a bit heavier than my SBE and my 390 Silver Mallard, however, handle's very similar.
dirtdobber
Newb

Postby Augusta » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:53 pm

Welcome aboard dirtdobber, you are going to love this gun.
Augusta
hunter

Postby Augusta » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:34 pm

Took the Versa Max and the CTI II out today for a few quick rounds. It was 23 degrees above zero, no wind. I fired a total of 20 rounds, 10 through each gun, The rounds consisted of Remington Hypersonic 3 inch 1,700 ft/sec shells, Prairie Storm 3 inch 1,350 ft/sec, the Walmart Federal Target 2 3/4 inch loads at 1,200 ft/sec, and Remington 3 inch Nitro steel at 1,550 ft/sec. Both guns cycled perfectly, no failures. In my opinion, there was no difference in the amount of "kick" between the Versa Max and the CTI II regarless of shell type. I still consider the CTI II my main gun and the Versa Max to be the "back up" gun. I will let my son use it this fall for goose hunting, he will enjoy that.
Augusta
hunter

Postby Augusta » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:12 pm

Anyone have any updates? I have been out a number of times to the gun range, just doing some recreational shooting. Been shooting, the Remington Nitro Steels @ 1450ft/sec and the 1550 ft/sec, 1 1/8 and 1 1/4 ounce loads with no failures. I have also been shooting the Black Cloud 1500 ft/sec, #3 shot, 1 1/4 ounce shells, again with no failures. I have just came to the conclusion that I simply cannot shoot the Praire Storms 2 3/4 inch, 1500 ft/sec loads. The Fiocchi GPX Pheasant loads at 1485 ft/sec, 1 3/8 ounce loads work just as good and cycle just fine, so I will switch to those shells and live happily ever after. :lol3:
Norcal: get your trigger assembly yet?
Augusta
hunter

Postby norcalhunter13 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:29 pm

Thanks for the update Augusta. I greatly appreciate your continued input. I have received the trigger assembly, it is brand new. :thumbsup: Unfortunately I have been busy with work, but I am going to be able to test it out in the beginning of March. I have some time off then. I will have a full report up on here by then. I might even try doing an endurance test, to see how many shells I can put through without cleaning before it jams up on me (target loads that is). For now it is in the gun safe.

In addition, I am looking at maybe doing a little mod work on the trigger assembly to reduce trigger pull a little more (depending on how this new trigger assembly is). That warranty is up in June, so no real worries on voiding the warranty. My old trigger broke at about 5-6 lbs, but I think I would like 3-4 lbs a lot better. If it works I will let you know how to do it, if you are interested.
"Quit?
Just When It's
Getting Good?"

Proud Member of CWA
Proud Member of Ducks Unlimited
Proud Member of Delta Waterfowl
norcalhunter13
hunter

Postby jack31850 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:35 am

I really appreciate all the input from all you guys. I keep up with this site. I have the 105 cti II. I have only put maybe 6 boxes thru my 105. I just flat have not had the time. I only went duck or goose hunting this season a total of 3 occasions and dove hunting twice. I work in the drilling mud industry and we have a major boom in South Texas right now to go along with my regular honey dues from the the wifey. Probably the biggest test I have put my 105 cti II, was last fall with temperatures in the high 90's at the gun range I went thru a box of Winchester XPERTS, #4's, 2 3/4" 1550's in 10 to 15 minutes with no issues at the Trap Range. Other than my safety latch jamming on me one day at the range that was it. I do use that special grease sold by Brownells on the bolt assembly. All moving parts after cleaning, I spray Rem Oil on and then wipe dry.
jack31850
hunter

Postby jd9650 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:06 am

What is the status of the Citi's? Do you guys still have em? I've owned two and have never shot a better shouldering gun. Best gun in the world for dove hunting w/ the federal 1 1/8 loads. Just can't take em to South Dakota and shoot 3" shells.
jd9650
hunter

Postby Augusta » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:03 am

jd9650 wrote:What is the status of the Citi's? Do you guys still have em? I've owned two and have never shot a better shouldering gun. Best gun in the world for dove hunting w/ the federal 1 1/8 loads. Just can't take em to South Dakota and shoot 3" shells.

Hi there jd, Yes I still have my two CTI II's. Have been out a few times doing some recreational shooting. The guns are working just fine. Can you clarify what you mean by "Just cannot take'em to SD and shoot 3" shells".
Augusta
hunter

Postby jd9650 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:56 am

I just have no luck shooting high powered shells w/ it, mainly 3". I even got a free case of shells(I believe they were like 1500 fps w/ 1 5/8s oz or 1 3/8s oz) from Remington last fall. My problem is the guns will work fine at first and then all of sudden about after 15 shots or so the action will either lock open or a shell won't come out of the magazine. I was to the point of cleaning it every night after hunting, but I don't think it really mattered. I've tried all the oils you guys talk about except for the grease, but come on. I am a 100% Remington fan and always was and always will be. I grew up on 870 wingmasters and own 10 of them. Some of the greatest things about the cti is that it shoulders, swings, and doesn't kick like no other. When you pull it up on fast flying bird it just has a natural feeling and I'll be honest its hard to miss w/ it except when the thing goes click. Last year when we went to South Dakota Three of my bodies went out and bought Browning Maxus's. My Cti was working fine while we were up there until the last two days. The worst be the last day on my last two birds right before dark. My buddy pushed out two birds to me, I dropped the first one with ease and then the gun went click on the second one infront of everyone. These guys all knew the citi's had issues because they knew I had sent mine back in before. I had to be called Rem Jam for 14 hour trip home. I had told them that if that gun cost me getting my limit much less any birds I was going to fix the problem. Sad to say I now own the Browning Maxus Hunter. It is a very beautiful gun. It sights similar to the CTI, but definately not the same. I need to work on it with the shims I think. That or the problem may be that the stock is thinner than that of the CTI. Its just not as natural although I did do OK goose and duck hunting w/ it later on in the year. One thing I have been doing w/ it though is putting it through a torture test by hunting in the rain and on the missouri river when the wind is blowing the sand but to no avail has it jammed once on me(I've even shot some of those rustier shells that you forgot to take out of your pocket after in rained). Any how are the Versa Maxus's. I will definately buy one if they come out in a wood grain, just never been a plastic gun guy
jd9650
hunter

Postby Augusta » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:29 pm

jd, I am surprised by your troubles. Is it possbile that you have an interceptor latch problem? I believe someone else on this forum had a similiar problem. My guns work great with the 3 inch shells, that is except for the Prairie Storm 3 inch, 1,350 ft/sec loads. I have also had trouble with cycling the Prairie Storm 2 3/4, 1500 ft/sec shells as well. Other than that certain brand, my guns have worked perfectly. My family and I have shot over 70 roosters with our 2 CTII II's without any hiccups. Heck, I just ordered a case of Black Cloud, steel, 3 inch, 1,450 ft/sec, #3's for these guns. :beer:

By the way, congrats on the new Browning.I have looked at those myself and am very impressed with them. Nice guns.
Augusta
hunter

Postby jd9650 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:19 pm

When I sent them back they were suppose to have replaced them. My question is why does it work perfect w/ the walmart 1 1/8 oz shells then. I know I can shoot close to 500 rounds through them w/ out any problems. Another question I have is why does it seem like the action feels like it gets stuck when it is closed sometimes. After I've shot 50 rounds or so though it, it will sometimes feel like you really have to pull to open it up and then sometimes when you let it go it won't close all the way. The first guess is that it wasn't cleaned properly but I believe I know how the gun and it should last longer than 50 rounds. Have you ever experienced this? Somebody also commented on the Versa Max in a previous thread, I was just wondering how they were liking them. I shouldered one the other day and it felt pretty good. Don't know if I should wait for the wood grain or just buy one.
jd9650
hunter

Postby Augusta » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:32 pm

jd9650 wrote:When I sent them back they were suppose to have replaced them. My question is why does it work perfect w/ the walmart 1 1/8 oz shells then. I know I can shoot close to 500 rounds through them w/ out any problems. Another question I have is why does it seem like the action feels like it gets stuck when it is closed sometimes. After I've shot 50 rounds or so though it, it will sometimes feel like you really have to pull to open it up and then sometimes when you let it go it won't close all the way. The first guess is that it wasn't cleaned properly but I believe I know how the gun and it should last longer than 50 rounds. Have you ever experienced this? Somebody also commented on the Versa Max in a previous thread, I was just wondering how they were liking them. I shouldered one the other day and it felt pretty good. Don't know if I should wait for the wood grain or just buy one.

jd: I don't have all the answers to your questions, but my gun works perfect as well with the Walmart Federal target loads. I don't think I have ever had a failure with one of those shells and I know we have gone through over 600 rounds of them. As for you having difficulty opening the action? I have no idea, none of my guns have ever done that. All of mine do the "sometimes it won't close all the way if you let go of the action lightly" too. Not sure why, they just do but it is not a problem for me. I have the Versa Max as well. I have the 28" Duck Blind Camo version. I have not fired it much due to the winter, but so far it has worked fine. I have cycled a combination of the Walmart Federal target loads with 3.5" premium loads and the gun cycled just fine. It shoulders alot like the 870 Wingmaster, it is a touch front heavy, but not too bad. Recoil is alot like the CTI II. So far, the gun works just fine, but keep in mind, I have not used it very much. There is a very good review of the gun being done on the website "shotgunworld.com" under the Remington forum. It is getting a very good review there. Hope this helps.
Last edited by Augusta on Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Augusta
hunter

Postby Augusta » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:46 pm

jd9650 wrote:When I sent them back they were suppose to have replaced them. My question is why does it work perfect w/ the walmart 1 1/8 oz shells then. I know I can shoot close to 500 rounds through them w/ out any problems. Another question I have is why does it seem like the action feels like it gets stuck when it is closed sometimes. After I've shot 50 rounds or so though it, it will sometimes feel like you really have to pull to open it up and then sometimes when you let it go it won't close all the way. The first guess is that it wasn't cleaned properly but I believe I know how the gun and it should last longer than 50 rounds. Have you ever experienced this? Somebody also commented on the Versa Max in a previous thread, I was just wondering how they were liking them. I shouldered one the other day and it felt pretty good. Don't know if I should wait for the wood grain or just buy one.
Last edited by Augusta on Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Augusta
hunter

Postby jd9650 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:33 am

Thanks for all the info. The Fiochi shells were the ones that were giving me the most problems, never new why but they were. The shell I found the most success in(for pheasant loads) were the Winchester Super Pheasants 2 3/4". I'm gonna have to buy the Versa Max sooner or later I just don't know how long I can wait. Has anybody heard if they are going to put it out in a wood grain?

Thanks
jd9650
hunter

Postby Augusta » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:00 pm

jd9650 wrote:Thanks for all the info. The Fiochi shells were the ones that were giving me the most problems, never new why but they were. The shell I found the most success in(for pheasant loads) were the Winchester Super Pheasants 2 3/4". I'm gonna have to buy the Versa Max sooner or later I just don't know how long I can wait. Has anybody heard if they are going to put it out in a wood grain?

Thanks

I heard via "internet rumor" that they would come out with one this summer, but keep in mind, this is an "internet rumor".
The Versa Max is heavier than the CTI II, I am going to consider my Versa Max to be a "back up" gun to the CTI II.
Augusta
hunter

Postby sluttyshoveller » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:41 am

I bought one also back in 2007 brand new. It lasted about 6 or 7 boxes of duck loads before it started falling apart. No more remingtons for me, thank you. :no:
sluttyshoveller
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Shotgun Forum