Remington 105 CTI II Review (Long Term)

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Re: Remington 105 CTI II Review vs. SBE II (Long Term)

Postby Augusta » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:16 pm

sluttyshoveller wrote:I bought one also back in 2007 brand new. It lasted about 6 or 7 boxes of duck loads before it started falling apart. No more remingtons for me, thank you. :no:

Can you define "falling apart"?
Augusta
hunter

Postby jd9650 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:02 am

I can define falling apart on mine. The R's on the stock of both guns fell off. The bead on the end of the barrel came lose and wouldn't tighten back up in right spot. The glued on ventilated rib on one of mine became unglued and I had to put a rubberband on it to hold it next to the barrel. But you have to keep in mind that I buy my guns to use and look at, not just look at. My guns are not babied, they get used! All that being, I sent them in to remington and they went above and beyond to take care of me. They're service department was excellent.
jd9650
hunter

Postby austinjwilhide » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:16 am

screw remington semis buddy go benelli when it comes to semis but when its pumps i would put a remington pump up against a benelli pump i had a remington 1187 and had nothing but problems and i wouldnt even buy a pump from them now
austinjwilhide
hunter

Postby jd9650 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:28 pm

I've seen the Binelli's go click out in the field too their buddy. I've got a brother who has that sbe II plastic BB gun. Busted brush with him side by side many times and sometimes when your carrying that gun with one hand you'll push on that action and if you pay attention close enough you will notice that high advanced inertia system won't close it all the way. Sure it'll close it after you shoot but not if you brush against it in the brush. If your any kind of a real hunter and you have one of these you know exactly what I'm talking about. I believe your benelli's are just a fad and will disappear with time. I just wish remington would realize this and not try to compete with making junk.
jd9650
hunter

Postby Augusta » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:45 pm

jd9650 wrote:I can define falling apart on mine. The R's on the stock of both guns fell off. The bead on the end of the barrel came lose and wouldn't tighten back up in right spot. The glued on ventilated rib on one of mine became unglued and I had to put a rubberband on it to hold it next to the barrel. But you have to keep in mind that I buy my guns to use and look at, not just look at. My guns are not babied, they get used! All that being, I sent them in to remington and they went above and beyond to take care of me. They're service department was excellent.

Wow! Thanks jd. I guess I must be lucky so far. My two have been fine except for the fact they don't like Federal Premium shells, but oh well, so is life. :thumbsup:
Augusta
hunter

Postby norcalhunter13 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:33 am

Just thought I drop in and give an update. I have been really busy lately. Thanks for keeping the discussion lively since I have been gone!
JD9650, I know exactly what you are talking about, when you mention snagging the brush and the benelli click. It is not something I am very fond off, considering the high price you pay for a benelli and that it is supposed to be virtually bullet proof. But hey….. all guns have the positives and negatives. The 105 cti does have a lot of negatives, but they way I shoot it, it out ways those negatives for me. Sorry to hear about your 105 falling apart on you, but I am glad to hear that Remington stood behind their product.
I still have both of my 105 cti 2’s. The older one (the one without the R), is going back to the factory again. I replaced the trigger mechanism, but that unfortunately it did not fix the entire problem. That issue I had with the bolt not being able to go back at all and getting locked/jammed does not occur anymore. However, the gun is having issues with closing the action after firing a shot. The action is also still getting stuck about halfway when I release the action to close, and I am having to manually close it. The auto feed feature, is still failing too. The action would get stuck halfway closed with a live round. It does this about 50% of the time, which is not acceptable.

I took it out on a spring White Front/Snow goose hunt, and it would only fire multiple rounds 50% of the time, these were 3inch 1450 FPS 1 3/8 oz loads. The good news is that, I quickly became VERY good at dropping a bird on my first shot. I switched to my backup 105 cti 2 on the second day (the one with the R) and it did not have any problems cycling on the second day. My 105 cti 2 with the R has had very good performance record. I only had 1 cycle failure at the range when I was first breaking it in, and that was with a small 1 oz load (since then no problems what so ever). I don’t know why but my first generation is struggling to function. Hopefully Remington can get it right this time because the warranty on my old one is up this July!

Also on a side note, I finally got a 20 gauge semi (something I have wanting for a while). I bought at black synthetic Weatherby SA-08 20 Gauge with a 28 inch barrel. I have not received it yet, but I will have a review up on it later on in May probably. I am looking forward to using this as target practice gun, and for lightweight work for waterfowl/upland hunting (also it is a gun that I can abuse more being that it is synthetic stock). The dimensions were almost the same at the 105 CTi. The Weatherby has a 14 3/8 LOP, 1 ½ at the drop at comb, and 2 ¼ at the drop of the heel. The 105 cti has a 14 1/4 LOP, 1 ½ at the drop at comb, and 2 ½ at the drop of the heel. With all of my extra hunting clothes on in the fall.... the slightly longer 14 3/8 LOP with a slightly longer length of heel should be good for warm weather target shooting and hunting.
"Quit?
Just When It's
Getting Good?"

Proud Member of CWA
Proud Member of Ducks Unlimited
Proud Member of Delta Waterfowl
norcalhunter13
hunter

Postby Augusta » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:14 pm

Good to hear from you Norcal. Hope everything works out ok with your CTI I. I went through an entire pheasant hunting season with mine.They worked great until it got cold out, other than the cold, the guns worked perfectly. My 2 are the CTi II's. I have finally settled on shells for my guns, I will be using the Fiocchi GPX high velocity 2 3/4 inch, 1,485 ft/sec 1 3/8 ounce lead loads and for steel, I will be using the Remington Nitro 3 inch, 1,450 ft/sec 1 1/4 ounce # 2's along with the Black Cloud 3 inch, 1,450 ft/sec, 1 1/4 ounce, #3 loads.
Augusta
hunter

Postby norcalhunter13 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:40 pm

Good to hear from you too Augusta! Just been so darn busy lately. I called Remington today, and I am getting a pre-paid shipping label send to my house. The lady on the phone was really nice and told me to include on the repair form that this 105 cti is being sent in for the 3rd time, and that I am requesting a replacement. So I think I will do that, and hope that they give me their updated 105 cti 2 (with the R on the stock) I just hope that they are willing to do this, and that they still have one that they can replace it with. Like I said my other one has performed just fine, no complaints, but for some reason this first generation updated cti 2 gun is giving me a lot of trouble.

Glad to hear that you settled on some good loads for hunting. It is always nice to have those good "go to" loads. I will try and keep you guys posted.
"Quit?
Just When It's
Getting Good?"

Proud Member of CWA
norcalhunter13
hunter

Postby decoy727272 » Sun May 01, 2011 5:56 am

Well i have didn't every thing that you readed how to fix my 105cti and i final send it back to Remington and they told me i was going to get a 105cti ll to replace it with. That they were going to get some new 105cti ll coming in to replace some of the old one they could not fix. Short story to my 105cti was Remington called and they are not getting 105cti ll in and they are going to replace my old gun with their Remington VERSA MAX. This is a sad ending to a great gun and it it sad that Remington cannot get this gun right!!!!!!
decoy727272
Newb

Postby norcalhunter13 » Sun May 01, 2011 7:46 am

Thanks for this information. If they go with the route of replacing the gun with the VERSA MAX, I will be a bit bummed. However, I do like the fact that I could either choose to keep the Versa Max or sell it to my good hunting buddy, and buy a new 105 cti 2 online. In other words if they can't find a replacement I will! :yes:

-norcalhunter
"Quit?
Just When It's
Getting Good?"

Proud Member of CWA
norcalhunter13
hunter

Postby Augusta » Sun May 01, 2011 8:13 am

norcalhunter13 wrote:Thanks for this information. If they go with the route of replacing the gun with the VERSA MAX, I will be a bit bummed. However, I do like the fact that I could either choose to keep the Versa Max or sell it to my good hunting buddy, and buy a new 105 cti 2 online. In other words if they can't find a replacement I will! :yes:

-norcalhunter

+1 I will always have a CTI II in my gun cabinet. I still say they are the best handling gun I have ever put my hands on. I just love taking them out and shooting them. I was going even buy a third one again, but I see they have gone up in price, so I think I will just stick the two that I have, and no, they are not for sale. :beer:
Augusta
hunter

Remington 105 CTI II Review vs. SBE II (Long Term)

Postby Redbeard » Sun May 01, 2011 11:20 am

Did Remington discontinue the cti? Didn't see it on their home page
"Jedge, y' know, suh, us all has ouh good an' ouh bad days wid de ducks. Yes, my lawdy, us sho' do. Dey's times whin de ducks flies all ovah ev'ything an' ev'ybody, an' still us kain't none o' us hit nuthin'- lak me an' you wuz' dis mawnin' "
Redbeard
Super Trooper

Postby Augusta » Sun May 01, 2011 11:30 am

Redbeard wrote:Did Remington discontinue the cti? Didn't see it on their home page

Yes, they have. The gun is no longer in production. A very sad deal in my opinion.
Augusta
hunter

Postby norcalhunter13 » Sun May 01, 2011 6:29 pm

Augusta,

I was looking into maybe getting one of my 105 cti 2's camo dipped. This is to help protect it/hide if for waterfowl hunting, since that is what I use it for 95% of the time. What do you think of this example I made?
Attachments
105CTiSilo copy.jpg
"Quit?
Just When It's
Getting Good?"

Proud Member of CWA
norcalhunter13
hunter

Postby Augusta » Sun May 01, 2011 7:04 pm

norcalhunter13 wrote:Augusta,

I was looking into maybe getting one of my 105 cti 2's camo dipped. This is to help protect it/hide if for waterfowl hunting, since that is what I use it for 95% of the time. What do you think of this example I made?

Sweet! Can you camo dip the wood stock and forearm?
Augusta
hunter

Postby norcalhunter13 » Sun May 01, 2011 7:21 pm

Yes, it is possible they just sand off the original finish.
"Quit?
Just When It's
Getting Good?"

Proud Member of CWA
norcalhunter13
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Sun May 01, 2011 11:05 pm

Got to reading this thread so I thought I'd play a little. I've got the upgraded version with the original grip cap.I took a variaty of shells and went out on the back porch and proceeded to shoot the hell out of a soup can starting at 20 yards.I shot 1 1/8 oz cheap federals 11/8 oz Remington gun club 11/8 oz STS,and AA's 11/4 oz Express Long Range (1330 FPS) 11/8 and11/4 oz Kent Fasteel . I mixed these up in no special order. I then ran 9 cheap Winchester 1 oz loads thru it. Fail to eject,0 times,fail to feed 0 times.The gun shot everything no problem. The only shell to exceed Remingtons 1450 FPS recommendation was the Kent Fasteel and I tried them because the were leftovers. Since I started using Break Free CLP and not exceeding 1450 FPS. this gun has functioned flawlessly. As stated in a earlier post Hypersonics tore it up and split the forearm.Remington went thru it and replaced some parts.The guy I talked to said if it was him he wouldn't shoot em,and to stick to 1450 FPS or less.The guns got a couple thousand or more rounds thru it and so far shoots even the cheap Winchesters fine. Oh yea the cans dead, it ended up at about 45 yards and very mangled. I've given this gun a lot of chances because I just really like it and would rather shoot it then anything else I've got. Its not my most expensive gun either.
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby Augusta » Mon May 02, 2011 7:42 am

Ohio, I have came to that same conclusion, every shell that is around 1,450 ft/sec or less, works perfectly in my guns. I have never had a failure (except for the bitter cold) when using those types of shells. I am able to get by shooting the Fiocchi 1,485 ft/sec lead loads, but I do consider that to be the limt.
Augusta
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Tue May 10, 2011 9:04 pm

Has anyone else noticed the price on the 105 CTI II is going back up. I believe folks are starting to realize Remington has gotten the bugs out and are backing the gun. This gun is far from a do all shoot any shell type of shotgun. However people are starting to realize it is a very easy handling and pointing semiauto that does have a place in the sport of shotgunning. I look for it to be back in production within a year.
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby Augusta » Wed May 11, 2011 6:51 am

I sure have. I looked at one just this Sunday at our local sporting goods store. They wanted $950.00 dollars for it. That bites because in January, I could have had the same thing for $700.00 out the door. My wife just rolls her eyes when I look at another CTI II. We have two already, she just cannot undestand my love affair with these guns. :lol3: :lol3:
Augusta
hunter

Postby base7ballrj » Thu May 19, 2011 2:46 pm

Yup. Mine is working terrifically. This spring, i just got my high school involved in the "Minnesota State High School Clay Target League", which is a state-wide league that gives high school the chance to compete against each other in trap shooting. So, i've done a lot of shooting this spring, and i decided i'd put my gun through a little bit of a "torture test", to see how long it can go without a full cleaning. So far, i've got over 600 shells through it, and all i've done is put a little oil on the magazine tube the day i shoot, and everything has worked like a charm. Everything on my 105 CTi 2 is still intact and working GREAT. Matter of fact, my average this year has gone up to about 23! Needless to say, I'm still extremely happy with my purchase and look forward to a busy summer of shooting!!!!!!!!!! :grooving:
base7ballrj
hunter

Postby base7ballrj » Thu May 19, 2011 2:48 pm

Also,
Norcal- I believe that camo would be AWESOME, in my opinion. As long as you have two CTi's... You might as well, right? :)
base7ballrj
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Tue May 31, 2011 3:29 pm

Well, I have been eyeing these shotguns since the beginning and almost bought one of the original versions (@$1200+) but held off partly because of the PR they were receiving but also waiting to see if a waterfowler version was in the offing.

From a pointability aspect they are +2 compared to their predecessor (1100/11-87) models as it seems to be primarily a factor of the light (er) receiver because it just feels livelier in my hands than any of my Beretta's or Benelli's including the beloved SuperSport.

Last week Academy was down to the last one in the rack and had marked it down to a bit over $600 so it went home with me. Bought a case of the Remington heavy (1 1/8 oz. @1300fps) Sporting Clays cartridges to use in the recommended 200 round break-in procedure.

Results so far are no failure to feed and three (3) of the Benelli "click" type malfunctions which were traced back to the way I was holding my leading hand too close to the receiver and the charging handle was bumping the heel of my hand thereby preventing the bolt from going fully into battery. Moved my hand forward a bit and this situation went away.

Loading cartridges into the magazine tube require a bit more attention than on a 1100/11-87/870 which I attribute to the slight gap between the lower bolt face and the chamber allowing the shell to bump into it (when bolt is closed) while loading. I do not care for the auto load feature (so far) as again, you have to hold your mouth just right to accomplish the task.

Of the 150 rounds put through it to-date, have gone 145/150 on the wobble trap machine. Also, the IC tube has produced far more powdered targets than the FULL did on the initial 50 targets.

Findings are the more I shoot this shotgun, the more I like it. BTW, felt recoil was noticeably less than either the SuperSport of AL390 (w/SureCycle kit) as I also fired a box of the same loads in each of them during this break-in event just to see how each shotgun "kicked".
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby Augusta » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:38 pm

Well, I did again, just purchased my 4th (sold one, so will have three in the gun cabinet) CTI II. Do you suppose I have an addiction problem with these guns? :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: Got one sweet deal on it.......
Augusta
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:53 pm

Augusta wrote:Well, I did again, just purchased my 4th (sold one, so will have three in the gun cabinet) CTI II. Do you suppose I have an addiction problem with these guns? :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: Got one sweet deal on it.......

It has been rumoured that a wing is being added at the Betty Ford clinic for this malady! :yes:
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Shotgun Forum