Remington 105 CTI II Review (Long Term)

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Re: Remington 105 CTI II Review vs. SBE II (Long Term)

Postby norcalhunter13 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:53 pm

My understanding is that a gunsmith should be able to switch the safety for you. But you can't do it yourself, or at least I wouldn't advise you. It is my understanding that it is interchangeable though.
"Quit?
Just When It's
Getting Good?"

Proud Member of CWA
Proud Member of Ducks Unlimited
Proud Member of Delta Waterfowl
User avatar
norcalhunter13
hunter
 
Posts: 692
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:49 pm
Location: Seattle, Wa


Re: Remington 105 CTI II Review vs. SBE II (Long Term)

Postby FullandFuller » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:30 pm

Is it the same safety as on the 870/1100/1187/7400/760/7600? If so, you can buy an aftermarket LH function safety from brownell's or midwayusa that can be installed without too much trouble.
bmoy1920 wrote:LOVE Giada!! I would love to use my pass on her!

Image
FullandFuller
hunter
 
Posts: 375
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:10 pm

Re: Remington 105 CTI II Review vs. SBE II (Long Term)

Postby norcalhunter13 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:38 am

Augusta, I can't believe that you have 4 CTI's now! :lol3:

So far I have put approx 164 rounds without cleaning. (no problems yet!)

Thought I share a picture after a recent hunt of my 105 cti 2 and a drake wood duck.... :beer:
Attachments
105 cti.jpg
"Quit?
Just When It's
Getting Good?"

Proud Member of CWA
Proud Member of Ducks Unlimited
Proud Member of Delta Waterfowl
User avatar
norcalhunter13
hunter
 
Posts: 692
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:49 pm
Location: Seattle, Wa

Re: Remington 105 CTI II Review vs. SBE II (Long Term)

Postby Augusta » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:00 pm

Nice picture Norcal! Yes, 4 it is. I might just add #5, but not sure of that yet. The wife is getting a little antsy about all
my CTI II's. :wink: On a side note, all the guns are working fine. The only troubles that I had this fall was when a cold spell came through my area. The daytime temps fell below 25* and that's when I started having cycling troubles. After firing the first round, the second shell simply falls to the ground. Bear in mind, this only happens to my high power lead loads, steel loads continue to work fine at these temps. So, to solve the problem, I simply shoot high power steel loads, such as Remington Nitro's #2, 1 1/4 ounce, at 1,450 ft/sec or Federal Black Cloud #3, 1 1/4 ounce, at 1,450 ft/sec. Problem solved!
Augusta
hunter
 
Posts: 134
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:19 pm

Re: Remington 105 CTI II Review vs. SBE II (Long Term)

Postby Augusta » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:51 pm

Just had to bring this post back to the top. Does anyone have any updates to share? How did your CTI's perform this season?
Our pheasant season is still underway, but so far, I have had the best pheasant hunting season in my life. All my CTi II's have worked perfectly, until we had a short lived cold snap, other than that, just beautiful! I just cannot get over how well I can shoot with these guns. The pheasants hate them mind you, but I love them!
Augusta
hunter
 
Posts: 134
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:19 pm

Re: Remington 105 CTI II Review vs. SBE II (Long Term)

Postby ohio mike » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:51 pm

Glad to see that somebody brought this thread to the top. I've settled on Remington Nitro 11/4 oz. of #2's as my go to load with the imp/cyl choke tube for ducks. Used Rem. and Win. 11/8 trap loads for dove and upland. Since switching to CLP I haven't had a single problem. I've been switching back and forth between it and my other favorite a Ruger 20 ga. sporting clays with 10z HeviMetal #2's. As the geese move in I'll go strictly CTI. Keep this long running thread going, its actually what led me to this forum. :thumbsup:
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter
 
Posts: 2213
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:08 pm
Location: Northwest Ohio

Re: Remington 105 CTI II Review vs. SBE II (Long Term)

Postby Augusta » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:38 am

Thanks for the update Ohio. I have good luck with the Remington Nitro's 3 inch, 1 1/4 ounce, # 2 shot, 1,450 ft/sec as well. Got a great deal on a case this summer at Wally World, they were on sale for $13.00/box. I think it was a mistake, because they were not on "sale" for very long! For pheasant hunting, I am using lead Fiocchi GPX 2 3/4 inch, 1,485 ft/sec, 1 3/8 ounce, #5 shot, they work very well in all my guns. I use Breakfree CLP too when the weather cools down, but I still use the Rem oil when the weather is above freezing, just an old habit of using it I guess. I am seriously looking at adding number 5 to my collection, and I swear this will be my last one ;) I have a wife and three kids, soooo....owning five makes sense.... :biggrin: :biggrin:
Augusta
hunter
 
Posts: 134
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:19 pm

Re: Remington 105 CTI II Review vs. SBE II (Long Term)

Postby norcalhunter13 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:53 pm

Just thought I chime in with my update.

My 105 cti 2 has been doing good. However, it did experience it's SECOND failure to cycle. The first time was last year when I was using 1 oz loads (which were NOT recommended for proper cycling), the second time was just this last week, when I was out duck hunting. The temperature was in the low 20's. I fired one shot at a duck, and the bolt locked back in place, and did not cycle another round in the chamber. It threw the next "to be fired round" in the grass.... which I could not find....

I don't know why but it seems when the temperature is below 30 degrees, the 105 cti will have cycling issues. I did not fire another shot for the rest of the day....so I don't know how frequent it is during cold temperatures.

I was using my "go to" load Remington Wingmaster HD 2 3/4 inch, 1 1/4 oz, #6 at 1325 FPS.

I have my new Wingmaster 870 Pump, which I LOVE BTW. I am thinking if the cycling issue continues to be a common occurrence when temps dip below 30 F for my 105 cti that I will use my 870 pump instead. I need to conduct more field trials to find out though....

My old 105 cti (version 1) which I no longer have, had this same problem in temps below 30 F...

Not sure why this.... The action is smooth and everything, I think it has to do with metal parts expanding and contracting in cold temperatures, which causes a misfeed somehow. ..

My latest theory is that it is the carrier prong springs... they are getting "too stiff" in cold temperatures and it does not drop down fast enough to grab the next shell.

Other than that, I will never hunt with or shoot anything else besides my 105 cti 2! It is still my favorite shotgun. :beer:
"Quit?
Just When It's
Getting Good?"

Proud Member of CWA
Proud Member of Ducks Unlimited
Proud Member of Delta Waterfowl
User avatar
norcalhunter13
hunter
 
Posts: 692
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:49 pm
Location: Seattle, Wa

Re: Remington 105 CTI II Review vs. SBE II (Long Term)

Postby Augusta » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:57 am

Norcal:
All that I can say is "Ditto", mine are the same way..all four of them. When the temp dips below 30 degrees, I reach for the Versa Max, because I know none of my CTI's will cycle when it gets below that temp regardless of what shell I am using. So far, the Versa Max cycles regardless of temp :grooving: . As for the Carrier Springs being the problem, "Ditto"again, I have came to that same conclusion, not saying I'm right, but it is plausible. By the way, Hevi-Metal 3 inch at 1,500 ft/sec, 1 1/4 ounce, #3 shot, shoots just fine through all my CTI II's as well. Those shells are kinda spendy though, so I don't use them too much.
Augusta
hunter
 
Posts: 134
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:19 pm

FP-10?

Postby FullandFuller » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:28 am

That's a shame, below 30 degrees is not that cold.

I've never used it but I've read on the web that a lot of guys prefer FP-10 for cold weather lube. Maybe try that stuff and see if they get any more reliable below freezing.
bmoy1920 wrote:LOVE Giada!! I would love to use my pass on her!

Image
FullandFuller
hunter
 
Posts: 375
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:10 pm

Re: Remington 105 CTI II Review vs. SBE II (Long Term)

Postby ohio mike » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:22 pm

Have you tried CLP? Gets cold here and I haven't had a problem as long as you keep the magazine tube clean.
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter
 
Posts: 2213
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:08 pm
Location: Northwest Ohio

Re: Remington 105 CTI II Review vs. SBE II (Long Term)

Postby Augusta » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:42 pm

Ohio:
Yes, I have. But I will try CLP again and pay special attention to the magazine. Thanks for the tip!
Augusta
hunter
 
Posts: 134
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:19 pm

Re: Remington 105 CTI II Review vs. SBE II (Long Term)

Postby Augusta » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:16 am

I have to stand corrected to my above posts. When I am having cycling issues at 30 degrees or colder, I am using my high power lead loads such as my Fiocchi 1,485 ft/sec, 2 3/4 inch, 1 3/8 ounce loads aka "baby magnums". When I am using steel loads, regardless of shell type or manufacturer, all my CTi II's cycle just fine until it gets well below 0. Sorry for the confusion. I am an upland hunter,not a waterfoul hunter, so my mindset is always "lead" loads. Once again, sorry for the confusion. :bow:
Augusta
hunter
 
Posts: 134
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:19 pm

Re: Remington 105 CTI II Review vs. SBE II (Long Term)

Postby ohio mike » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:33 pm

Augusta wrote:I have to stand corrected to my above posts. When I am having cycling issues at 30 degrees or colder, I am using my high power lead loads such as my Fiocchi 1,485 ft/sec, 2 3/4 inch, 1 3/8 ounce loads aka "baby magnums". When I am using steel loads, regardless of shell type or manufacturer, all my CTi II's cycle just fine until it gets well below 0. Sorry for the confusion. I am an upland hunter,not a waterfoul hunter, so my mindset is always "lead" loads. Once again, sorry for the confusion. :bow:


I shoot 1 1/8 and 1 1/4 lead loads at that temp no problem. Never tried anything heavier.
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter
 
Posts: 2213
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:08 pm
Location: Northwest Ohio

Re: Remington 105 CTI II Review vs. SBE II (Long Term)

Postby Augusta » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:23 pm

ohio mike wrote:
Augusta wrote:I have to stand corrected to my above posts. When I am having cycling issues at 30 degrees or colder, I am using my high power lead loads such as my Fiocchi 1,485 ft/sec, 2 3/4 inch, 1 3/8 ounce loads aka "baby magnums". When I am using steel loads, regardless of shell type or manufacturer, all my CTi II's cycle just fine until it gets well below 0. Sorry for the confusion. I am an upland hunter,not a waterfoul hunter, so my mindset is always "lead" loads. Once again, sorry for the confusion. :bow:


I shoot 1 1/8 and 1 1/4 lead loads at that temp no problem. Never tried anything heavier.

Try some Prairie Storm 1,500 ft/sec, 1 1/4 ounce, 2 3/4 inch lead loads. They work only around 50% of the time in my CTI II's. Those are very HOT loads. My Versa Max doesn't like them either... :lol3: :lol3:
Augusta
hunter
 
Posts: 134
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:19 pm

Re: Remington 105 CTI II Review vs. SBE II (Long Term)

Postby mja2770 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:20 pm

I found a CTI used but in mint condition for 599. The only problem is that someone glued a leather pad to the forearm. How can I tell if its a CTI ii or CTI i with the leather pad on the forearm? Also has anyone shot buckshot out of theirs. I would like to duck hunt and do some deer hunting in the swamp with the one i have been eyeballing. Any feedback would be appreciated.
mja2770
Newb
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:15 pm

Re: Remington 105 CTI II Review vs. SBE II (Long Term)

Postby ohio mike » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:33 am

mja2770 wrote:I found a CTI used but in mint condition for 599. The only problem is that someone glued a leather pad to the forearm. How can I tell if its a CTI ii or CTI i with the leather pad on the forearm? Also has anyone shot buckshot out of theirs. I would like to duck hunt and do some deer hunting in the swamp with the one i have been eyeballing. Any feedback would be appreciated.


If its a CTI II it will say so on the Reciever. Also the gripcap will have a R on it.
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter
 
Posts: 2213
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:08 pm
Location: Northwest Ohio

Re: Remington 105 CTI II Review vs. SBE II (Long Term)

Postby dduckman » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:55 pm

from reading through some of this thread i would personally steer way clear of an cti no doubt, and remington in general personally.

good luck with them i will keep shooting my sbe2 without issue.
dduckman
hunter
 
Posts: 198
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:46 pm

Re: Remington 105 CTI II Review vs. SBE II (Long Term)

Postby ohio mike » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:31 pm

dduckman wrote:from reading through some of this thread i would personally steer way clear of an cti no doubt, and remington in general personally.

good luck with them i will keep shooting my sbe2 without issue.


Come on dduckman we're allowed to have our own koolaid. Its just like all you B guys stuff only green and made in the U.S.A. :lol3: Actually the CTI started out being released way to soon before the bugs were out.Remington marketing staff killed it by being pushy. That said from what I've descerned the Versamax is a home run. All in all you gotta shoot what you like,none of em are perfect. Just like the nut holding the stock.
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter
 
Posts: 2213
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:08 pm
Location: Northwest Ohio

Re: Remington 105 CTI II Review vs. SBE II (Long Term)

Postby mja2770 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:38 pm

Thanks Mike! So i guess my next question would be if I bought this particular one and it is a Cti i will remington still do the upgrade. Also still wondering if anyone has shot buckshot from theirs, if so how did it perform?
mja2770
Newb
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:15 pm

Re: Remington 105 CTI II Review vs. SBE II (Long Term)

Postby dduckman » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:03 pm

ohio mike wrote:
dduckman wrote:from reading through some of this thread i would personally steer way clear of an cti no doubt, and remington in general personally.

good luck with them i will keep shooting my sbe2 without issue.


Come on dduckman we're allowed to have our own koolaid. Its just like all you B guys stuff only green and made in the U.S.A. :lol3: Actually the CTI started out being released way to soon before the bugs were out.Remington marketing staff killed it by being pushy. That said from what I've descerned the Versamax is a home run. All in all you gotta shoot what you like,none of em are perfect. Just like the nut holding the stock.


lol no cool aid for me, however i sold guns for a living for years and remington quality was lacking severely.

only reason i got the sbe2 was i got a deal on it, i was a beretta browning guy mostly, i did handle a versamax today that looked nice though it was still kind of heavy and clumsy feeling to me.

first time i saw a cti i wanted one bad glad i held off. :biggrin:
dduckman
hunter
 
Posts: 198
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:46 pm

Re: Remington 105 CTI II Review vs. SBE II (Long Term)

Postby ohio mike » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:31 pm

mja2770 wrote:Thanks Mike! So i guess my next question would be if I bought this particular one and it is a Cti i will remington still do the upgrade. Also still wondering if anyone has shot buckshot from theirs, if so how did it perform?


Don't know about Remington doing a upgrade,you'd have to ask them if you have problems. As far as buckshot, after reading your post I stepped outside and ran three 23/4" loads thru mine with absolutely no problem or damage. IMP CYL choke tube. If the ione your looking at isn't a II you could probably find one at a good price.
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter
 
Posts: 2213
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:08 pm
Location: Northwest Ohio

Re: Remington 105 CTI II Review vs. SBE II (Long Term)

Postby base7ballrj » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:57 pm

Hey guys!! It's been a while. Nevertheless, my gun is still working fine and to my liking. It might get replaced this summer or next summer though for trap shooting by an actual trap gun, but it'll still be my field and sporting clays baby. :) But, I'm still very glad with it, and it has performed flawlessly with the thousands of rounds I've got through it so far this year! Let me know where you guys are at, when ya get a chance!
base7ballrj
hunter
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:50 am

Re: Remington 105 CTI II Review vs. SBE II (Long Term)

Postby ohio mike » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:43 pm

Plugged along without a single problem all season. As long as I stay under 1500 fps everything is great. Most all the steel I shoot is 1450 fps. Remington Nitro and my gun get along great.
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter
 
Posts: 2213
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:08 pm
Location: Northwest Ohio

Re: Remington 105 CTI II Review vs. SBE II (Long Term)

Postby Augusta » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:41 pm

All is good with my 5 CTI II's.... :beer:
Augusta
hunter
 
Posts: 134
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:19 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Shotgun Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests