Remington 105 CTI II Review (Long Term)

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Re: Remington 105 CTI II Review vs. SBE II

Postby norcalhunter13 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:52 pm

I hope to find some mallards that don't like my 105 cti soon! :hammer: Also great idea for adjusting the stock pitch! I did not think of that possibility! What kind of steel loads are you putting through it, that are giving you a good pattern for those mallards? Just curious..
"Quit?
Just When It's
Getting Good?"

Proud Member of CWA
Proud Member of Ducks Unlimited
Proud Member of Delta Waterfowl
norcalhunter13
hunter

Postby FullandFuller » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:11 pm

Dropping a shell from the magazine like that was another thing my m37 would randomly do. Fire and eject one, load two but drop three out of the mag onto the ground. Bottom load and ejection just has a lot of things going on through one port. I've not read of numerous problems like that on 37s or BPSs, but putting up with that for years as a teenager turned me off to both pumps and bottom ejection. I love the benefit of no possibility of powder residue in the eye in an auto and I wish it was more commonplace.
bmoy1920 wrote:LOVE Giada!! I would love to use my pass on her!

FullandFuller
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:55 pm

I'm shooting Black Cloud 3's thru a modified choke with great sucess.Startedout with imp/cyl but wasn't getting clean kills at 35 to40 yards. I've got some Heavy Metal for geese that patterns well,but I haven't used any yet. So far the gun is flawless I haven' t cleaned it for about 200 rounds.I'm gonna push it a little to see how it reacts to a little abuse, unless I get it real wet.
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby norcalhunter13 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:30 pm

Update on the status of my Remington 105 CTi 2.
I still absolutely love this gun, I shoot it a heck of a lot better than any other shotgun. Still maybe a slight issue or two.
I will start with the issues.
For some reason this has happened to me only twice now and both cases have only occurred with 3 inch loads. I have had only 2 problems with a 2 ¾ in load. I will start with the 3 in incidents.
Both times the gun cycles the first round just fine then for some reason on the second round or the third round the shotgun does not fire. I pull the trigger and nothing happens. The shotgun does chamber the entire round properly and the chamber fully closes. The only way that seems to fix this problem is to unload the round and reload it. I am guessing that maybe the firing pin may not re-cock properly. I will be doing a further investigation of this to determine if only 3 inch rounds are causing it. It does not do this all the time and only during a hunting situation when I am trying to do either the second or third follow up shot.
The 2 times that a 2 ¾ inch hiccup occurred I was using the proper recommend trap loads by Remington. The shotgun would fire the first round just fine, and the on the second round it would not even chamber a round. It would leave it in the magazine. However this has not occurred since, and this was when it was fresh out of the repair shop. My guess is that it maybe due to my own error of not inserting the shell properly into the magazine tube. I have had shells get “stuck” in the magazine tube when I have had the chamber slightly open. Similar to what a benelli does when the chamber does not fully close. It won’t let you load a shell in the magazine without extreme force. However the 105 cti will let you but it will get stuck in the magazine tube. This may have happened because I was shooting and reloading rapidly. Like I have said it has not occurred since. Also another odd incident occurred at the range. I shot a bunch of loads through my 105 and it stopped cycling. Somehow the “rat tail” on the action fell out of the place and was not longer lined up with the magazine spring in the stock. I had to take it apart to fix it. That has never happened again since then.

Couple of good things. I had my brother completely submerge my shotgun in marsh. I am talking a nasty muddy marsh …the type that smells really bad. Wiped the mud off of it, and shot it without cleaning for the entire weekend without a hiccup except for an incident when I used 3 inch shells.
I seemed to also be able to hit birds more effectively, in other words acquire target better.
I did some extensive patterning for 2 ¾ inch 1 ¼ oz #6 Wingmaster HD. I got good results using the Remington extended Pro Bore skeet choke, and Carlson’s Light Mod. I used the Skeet choke for taking game ranging from 15 to 35 yard range. Anything further out I went with the Light Mod which gave me good coverage at 40 yards and beyond. Unfortunately even with the skeet choke I got almost 100% of my pellets in a 30 inch circle at 20 yards. I tried Kent Tungsten Matrix (which is even softer then lead therefore it should be even more responsive to chokes than lead). I used the Tungsten Matrix 2 ¾ 1 ¼ oz #5 at 20 yards with the skeet choke and the spread was a bit more open, but the pellet count was not as great at the Wingmaster HD #6. So I found that best combo for decoying birds to be the Wingmaster HD #6 with a skeet choke.
I find myself really enjoying the light weight of the shotgun and the balance. I do not have a sling for it, and on one day I carried my 105 cti by hand for a good 10 miles and my arms were not too fatigued. I really enjoy the quick release button to remove shells from magazine tube. I find the Benelli’s button to be awkward and difficult to do. I also enjoy the aesthetics of the gun, it looks very nice, that bluing the barrel is a tad bit bright, it had not seem to flare birds to this day.
In addition many times, I was very glad that I was not ejecting shells in my hunting partners face. It also made finding and picking up my shells after the hunt a lot quicker and easier. In addition I have had 1 shell partially fire due to wet powder. I was really glad that I had the bottom eject feature, that pushed the majority of unburnt powder residue down and away from my face, and help protect my eyes from getting a ton of grud in them. I unfortunately had to dig the wad out of the barrel, which is never fun in my opinion.
I also find that I like the trigger pull on the gun better then my benelli. It is light and crisp. I am not expert at judging trigger pull, but to me it seems that it is more responsive than the benelli.
I am going to do some more testing on the different shells and see if I need to send it back to Remington to get repaired again. In addition I am going to get an Easy Hit sight for it (I am cross eye dominate, and I find the one I already have mounted on my benelli to help with this issue)
In addition I am considering ordering replacement springs for the stock, and forearm, due to the springs being almost 4 years old and the action seems to be a tad bit slow at closing. I am also looking into maybe getting a Sure Cycle magazine tube system for it, and replace the plastic magazine parts with steel, and hopefully that won’t catch as much crude and will slide smoother with the proper lubricant.
I did not clean my shotgun very much when I was out hunting. I cleaned everything part on it that one time it got submerged. That was pretty quick and easy to do. I liked how the spring tube in the stock is able to be unscrewed from the receiver, for cleaning or replacement. Unlike the Benelli models which is locktight in place or something. The only downside is that you cannot clean the spring inside of the cylinder housing. It does not open up. So I just dried it the best I could, and applied lube down the tube, and cycled the spring all the way back and forth several times. I can do a thorough cleaning from top to bottom in about an hour.
That is about it. Just trying to keep it honest, for anybody looking into getting one. I hope you find this field report to be helpful. I am no trying to be biased, as you can see I have had problems with it, but nothing extremely significant or continuous lately that has caused me to have enough concern to send it back for repairs.
"Quit?
Just When It's
Getting Good?"

Proud Member of CWA
norcalhunter13
hunter

Re: Remington 105 CTI II Review vs. SBE II (Long Term)

Postby ohio mike » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:07 am

Thanks for the update.I've used my CTI for everything this year with very little problems.I used trap loads for bunnies and pheasants,and 3'' steelfor waterfowl.3 shot for ducks and bb and triple b Heavymetal for geese.I killed 2 geese stone dead at 50 plus yards with the BBB's three days ago.Last week I killed 6 pheasants with sts sporting clays 71/2 shot.Only thing I've found is you gotta keep it clean,(every two to three hundred rounds)That doesn't bother me cause I clean after use most times anyway.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby base7ballrj » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:04 pm

Well, i bought myself a 105 cti this spring, and i absolutely love it. i've got 300 rounds through it, and i haven't had a single problem yet. It fits my shoulder great, and is so light shooting i feel like i could shoot all day. i mainly shoot trap, and this gun works just fine. i love the bottom feed feature. i know the cycling mechanism works fine too, seeing as i did shoot one round of skeet, and it cycled 3 dram, 1 1/8 oz 1200 fps shells perfectly on the doubles. i can't wait to go to the sporting clays range thursday. it is intersting though reading through your description of your gun and the things you didn't like, as they are almost identical to mine. there is a gold spot on the left side, the forearm is ever so slightly loose (but barely even noticeable), and the sight bridge does not quite line up, it is a little to the left, but like you said, it's not noticeable in a shooting situation. so far, i love it!! thanks for your review, i definately took it into consideration before the purchase!!
base7ballrj
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:29 pm

Keep us posted,welcome to the club.By the way it was norcalhunters post that led me to this site.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby jack31850 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:27 pm

I finally bought myself a 105 cti II this past Friday, May 28th, at Cabela's Buda, Texas store. I got the 28" barrel. They had four left when I got there. In fact they had four left there two weeks before I bought mine. They had a sale and I missed out on it. I wound up paying a little less than $1200 before taxes. Better than the $1500 MSRP I saw the last time I saw it listed.

I am not exactly mechanically minded. My main concern is reassembling the bolt assembly. In my green case there is some "105 cti II Breakin Lubricant." Did any of you fellas use that?
jack31850
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:43 pm

Just take your time and follow the instructions their pretty clear and after you do it once it'll be easy.The break in oil is just a little heavier oil made by Hoppes for Remington according to the tech I talked to.I use regular Rem oil but the breakin oil would be good in the summer I would think.Glad to see you decided to buy one.You won't be sorry.I think that values will go up as people find out what a good gun the CTI evolved into and they aren't available from Remington anymore.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby norcalhunter13 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:47 pm

base7ballrj Congrats on the new 105 cti 2, I am glad to hear that you like it and that it fits you well! I also find it funny how you mentioned that you had similar dislikes. I am glad that my review of the shotgun was of benefit to you and provided you the ability to make an informed decision. I am hope you have many years of having an enjoyable experience with the 105 cti 2. What do you think of the bottom eject feature do you like it or hate it? What about loading the shotgun for trap ect?

Ohio mike, I did not know I led you to this site. That is too funny. I also agree with you about the potential values and demand of these guns going up as the years go by. I think people will slowly realize how the 105 cti is a great gun and unique design as long as you take care of it. Since they have stopped making the shotgun I noticed by searching online that a lot of people seem to be getting them now that the price is much lower. Those few that have gotten them and I have managed to read about their experience with their 105 cti 2’s so far have not had any problems and almost all of them really like the shotgun.

Jack31850 congrats on the new 105 cti 2! Sorry to hear that you ended up paying $1200 for it, but regardless of the cost I hope you find you purchase to be one that was worth the cost. In regards to the lubricant I actually learned something new from the provided manual with the 105 cti 2. The shotgun comes already lubricated for the first 200 rounds. The shotgun therefore requires no initial cleaning to remove grease or factory preservative ect. It just needs to be taken out to the range and shot first with the appropriate loads. Unfortunately, I did not read this in the manual until after I finished doing my initial cleaning of my new 105 cti 2. The break in lubricant that is provided is pretty much used for any moving part. Since it came with both of my 105 cti 2’s I have decided to use some. I normally use CLP which works really well as long as it is not put on the surface of the gun in excess. So far I have been very impressed with the 105 cti break in lubricant though. It seems to prevent excessive gun powder build up better than CLP or Rem oil and does a very good job in providing a smooth lubricated action. I especially like to use it on the outside of the magazine tube and the top part of the Action Sleeve assembly (high gun powder residue areas). Like I said it appears to me, to prevent excessive build up longer and makes it easier to clean so I would use it. I hope that answers your question.
As far as the bolt assembly goes it is important that you take it apart and lubricate it once in a while ( looking at the manual provided with the gun it actually recommends using some gun grease for one of the bolt assembly’s pins, I am not sure if that is really necessary or not). When taking apart the bolt assembly just be careful not lose the firing pin spring or the retaining pin for firing pin. It should be pretty easy to take apart and clean, and it can only go back together ENTIRELY one way. However it is POSSILBLE to put the “locking ring” in upside down. You will be able to put the gun back together almost all of the way but you won’t be able to get the barrel on or the bolt assembly to sit right inside of the shotgun. Just make sure the little grooves on the side of the “locking ring” line up with “bolt head” and you will be fine.

NOTICE TO ALL 105 CTi II OWNERS when cleaning the trigger assembly be VERY careful if using a toothbrush or other cleaning device to not dislodge the two rubber pieces on the sides, towards the front the trigger assembly (star shaped rubber pieces). I have had mine pop out twice now when cleaning, and they appear to be friction fitted rather than glued in place.

Thought I should provide an update on new 105 cti 2 with a 26 inch barrel. The shotgun cost me $948 out the door. Not too bad of a price. Upon looking at the shotgun I noticed that Remington updated the manual which was nice. The shotgun looked flawless besides a very little scratch in the wood near the receiver. The shotgun looked like it had been test fired by Remington before shipping. There was not heavy residue or anything but it looked like maybe a round or two was fired through it for testing proper cycling, which I don’t think is a bad idea on Remington’s part. I quickly registered my gun for it’s warranty. I also took it apart to clean it. However there was not really much to clean, it already looked good to go and there was no heavy factory grease (like I said before it comes pre-lube something that I missed in the manual). The shotgun also came with a $35 dollar rebate card for Remington Nitro 27’s. It allows you to buy up to 4 boxes to receive $35 dollars back from Remington to break in the 105 cti 2. I quickly went to town and bought my 4 boxes and mailed in the rebate card. I think it is great that you get 4 boxes for free to break it in. One less cost to worry about in my book.
The shotgun looked almost identical to my other 105 cit 2 with a 28 inch barrel. A couple of differences that I noticed. The wood on my new shotgun was fairly darker but still looked really nice. The wooden forearm of my 105 cti 26 inch as the “II” engraved into the wood. Also the bottom of the stock cap has a silver “R” rather than the commemorative stamp. I personally like the commemorative stamp stating “100 years of auto loading”. Like I mentioned a while ago my 105 cti 28 inch barrel was originally a 105 cti that was upgraded that is why the wooden forearm is not engraved with a “II” and the stamp is the commemorative stamp.

I am very pleased to say that the barrel on the 105 cti 26 inch lines up perfectly with the receiver and it not off to one side at all. I also tried swapping barrels to see if it was the receiver or the barrel that was off on my 28 inch barrel. Turns out is the barrel that is off. I little trick that I found that might help (if receiver and the sight bridge don’t line up) is getting two people and having one person twist the barrel to the right and push down so it lines up properly and have the other person screw down the fore arm end cap as tight as they can. It seemed to hold it in place a little better, but be careful not to do it too tight and crack the wood!

One thing that I found interesting about my two 105 cti’s was the bolt handle. When taking my shotgun apart on my 28 inch barrel 105 cti I am able to push the bolt assembly all the way back into the gun without having the bolt handle in place. However with my new 105 cti 26 inch barrel the bolt assembly will not budge an inch further until I insert the bolt handle in that (widening) near the front of the receiver. Not sure what causes my 105 cti with a 26 inch barrel to do that. But whenever the bolt handle is in place I get the feeling that it causes something to “click” to allow the entirely bolt assembly to go backwards (do you know if you 105 cit does this ohio mike?) I also learned recently after exploring the owner’s manual in great depth that the two rings on the action sleeve assembly come off and makes getting the gun powder residue of the rings and the action sleeve assembly much easier. A flat head screw driver works well in accomplishing this.

The first thing I noticed about my 105 cti 2 26 inch barrel was that I did not like how it came to my shoulder. The 26 inch gun is lighter and does swing a bit faster which is really nice, but it does not come to the shoulder as quickly and smoothly as the 28 inch barrel. I wish I got the 28 inch barrel instead, because I now know that I am never really going to like having the 26 inch barrel or really use it (anybody want to buy it?). For some reason it throws the shotgun’s balance off for me, based on this if you are unsure what barrel size to get I would recommend going with the 28 inch barrel.

Now to the range. I had my brother shoot it most of the time at the sporting clay range while I shot my older 105 cti with the 28 inch. The shotgun cycled smooth and without a hiccup burning through 100 Nitro 27’s rounds. My brother actually scored pretty well with it. I took the gun home and cleaned it. I ended up taking it to the sporting clay range again. This time I ended up putting my 28 inch barrel on it and shooting it. I shoot 100 Federal 1 oz #8 and #7 ½ at 1290 FPS and had 1 cycle failure towards the end due to the magazine tube getting dirty and causing additional friction. I also shot a few Remington 1 oz loads that were the same specs. Considering the shotgun was not designed to shoot 1 oz loads and this was my new 105 cti 2 (besides the barrel) that was not even properly broken in yet I was very impressed. Also if you think the 1 1/8 oz loads hardly kick in the 105 cti 2 wait till you try 1 oz loads it is only a gentle shove. I also shot some 1oz loads through my old 105 cti 2 with the 28 inch barrel without a problem. I did however have some issues with Winchester AA 1 oz loads that claim “reduced recoil by 50%”. I also had problems with Winchesters cheap super x 1 oz light loads. No matter what I did I could not even get the shotgun to eject them even. I had to manually eject each load, however if you don’t mind a single shot pump those Winchester AA loads have virtually zero recoil it was like shooting .22! Also on the sides of both of those boxes it stated that they were not meant to be shot through semi-auto shotguns and more than likely would not properly cycle them.

Also during another time at the range with my old 105 cti with the 28 inch barrel I had 1 failed cycle with a Nitro 27 load. I am not sure what caused it not to feed right. It just looked like it got stuck at the top of the carrier as the carrier tried to push it up and it did not align with the chamber right.

I also had a good friend of mine shoot it while I was at the range. He was shooting a pump and doing pretty poorly, towards the end I let him use my 105 cti 2 with the 28 inch barrel. He hit almost every single target that was thrown his way. There was a significant difference in his performance, and he even mentioned that he was amazed at how well he could shoot the 105 cti and the very light recoil it had and said that he would have to get himself one them.

I am planning on ordering a 28 inch barrel for my 105 cti in the very near future and some additional spare parts from Remington such as springs and such before Remington runs out, since they have ceased production of the 105 cti 2. I am also going to get some aftermarkets choke tubes for my new 105 cti 2.

I also noticed that looking at their parts list they have updated it some and have parts only for the 105 cti 2 such as the barrel (I am guessing that this is due to engraving purposes of have the “II” vs nothing). Also I saw that they have two different “enhancement kits for the 105 cti” based on barrel length both cost over $400 dollars. Does anybody know what this is for? I am guessing is for laser engraving for the original 105 cti’s and upgrading the parts but I was not sure.
That is the current update that I have for my two 105 cti 2’s. I hope it was helpful and that I was able to provide something that you may have not known.
"Quit?
Just When It's
Getting Good?"

Proud Member of CWA
norcalhunter13
hunter

Postby jack31850 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:54 am

I still have not shot mine yet. I have had it for two weeks now. I finally got time to clean up the barrel from the shipping grease as recommended in the manual. I did squirt a little more "break in lube" around the action bars as the inside of the receiver looked dry.

I do appreciate all your information as you are very informative. I will keep you and Ohiomike informed as I use the 105 cti II. It is great to have someone like you fellas to communicate with. I am not concerned about the $1200 because Cabelas had four in Buda, Texas and I was afraid they might run out. None of the gunshops in San Antonio, Texas had one and were not sure if they could get any now. Remington sent me an email a while back that the gun would not be put back in production.

I went to the Ducks Unlimited Expo in Grapevine, Texas. I was told by a Remington Rep at their mobile unit that Remington will have a new semi-automatic shotgun coming out in the near future.

Thanks again,

Jack Moore
jack31850
hunter

Postby base7ballrj » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:31 pm

i bought myself a 105 cti 2 this spring and so far i have not had any problems! i've almost got 500 rounds through it and haven't had any problems with the gun. i've even put a box of 2 3/4 dram 1145 fps winchester super target loads through it without a problem. one time i was shooting sporting clays using a box of federal field and range 1290 fps shells and i shot the first shot, and went to shoot the second shot, and nothing happened. i looked and the second shell was trying to chamber, but the first shell didn't even get ejected out of the chamber. i got the second shell out, and then closed the bolt. when i opened the bolt, the shell kicked out, so i'm thinking the metal base of the shell might have expanded, therefore making it stick in the chamber. but, the gun has worked just fine and it shoots like a dream for me. took a couple weeks to get used to, but once i figured it out, there's no going back to any other gun. i'm using a MOD choke right now, but i'm considering moving up to the full choke for a couple rounds of trap, just to see how that goes. but, i'm very happy with my purchase. thanks for your input norcalhunter!
base7ballrj
hunter

Postby base7ballrj » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:32 pm

haha. oops on the second posting of my buying the gun. i skimmed over the page and thought it didn't post the first time.........oh well.....
base7ballrj
hunter

Postby base7ballrj » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:21 pm

well, norcalhunter, i personally love the bottom eject. i also like the automatic chambering of the shell. it's very convenient. the bottom eject is great because i don't see the shell after i shoot it, plus, the shells end up in a nice pile right in front of me.
base7ballrj
hunter

Postby RedNeckYankee » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:05 pm

Guys,

I went down the other day to the local gun shop for a look at a used SBEII lefty that he had for sale. The owner broke out his own 105cti II and let me shoulder it. I fell in love! Perfect fit and the pick up felt smooth like it belonged there. I spent the last two days scouring North East Florida for one. Last night I was scouring the internet for my own and found a brand new one for under 800 shipped. Currently I'm the proud owner of a 10+ year old 1100. I'm a trap and skeet shooter only. My girlfriend is taking me pheasant, turkey, and waterfowl hunting this upcoming season(she is country, I'm originally from Boston, a city slicker as her and her dad put it, hence the name) and I'm not taking my 1100 into the woods or swamp.
This review had me salivating for a 105. Great job breaking down the pros and cons.
I do have a question though.
I have a few boxes of Federal Target rounds. I think these do not meet the recomended dram that was posted in the manual(I downloaded it from the Rem site). Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should go and buy to properly break in my 105? I'm probably going to put 200-300 rounds through it the first weekend it gets here and the cheaper the better. I'm used to being able to put box after box of Wally World Federals through my 1100 on the skeet range for an economical weekend. I'm under the understanding that they will not cycle properly during the break-in period of the 105. Any help would be a appreciated.
RedNeckYankee
Newb

Postby norcalhunter13 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:46 pm

Congrats on the new shotgun! I am very glad to hear that this review was of help to you. That is the whole purpose of this review. To help people learn about the pros and cons, and make their own decision. Glad to hear it fits like a glove for you too! Federal 1 1/8 oz loads should be fine for breaking it in. I used Remington Nitro 27's to break in my second Remington 105 cti 2 at 1235 FPS, without any problems. I believe those Wal-Mart Federal cheapies run at 1290 FPS, so you should be good to go! You probably can switch from using the 100 round value pack of those Wal-Mart Federals after about 100-200 rounds, to 1 0z Federals at 1290 FPS that run $4.97 a box of 25 (at least in CA they do). A bit cheaper than the value pack. Good luck! :thumbsup: Keep us posted if you have any problems.
Last edited by norcalhunter13 on Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Quit?
Just When It's
Getting Good?"

Proud Member of CWA
norcalhunter13
hunter

Postby jack31850 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:13 am

I bought my 105 cti II back in early June. I went by the book. I already had some Remington Nitro Clays rated at 1300 FPS. I used those for break in without any issues. My only issue is loading the gun, expecially the first shell. It took me while to get used to.

I plan on using it mostly for waterfowl.
jack31850
hunter

Postby base7ballrj » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:17 pm

well i broke mine in with one box of 3 3/4 dram pheasant loads. from there i used 3 dram for about 500 rounds. now i shoot anything...even 2 3/4 dram 1145 fps shells with absolutely NO problems. if you loosen up the spring nicely from the start, they'll shoot anything fine. except for winchesters, stay away from any type of winchester shell. 105's don't like them for some reason. mine really likes federals though.
base7ballrj
hunter

Postby shorterthanu » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:28 pm

Well this is funny I just found this fourm review from norcalhunter13 on google.

Anyhow I bought my 1st style of 105 cti in 07 for 1100 out the door. I've had so far not one problem with mine besides 1 or 2 jams in 200 rounds going thru it. It does not happen Very often. Love the gun Very much I do Trapshooting with it. Have not hunted with it yet. When I first read some reviews about it in magazines i fell in love with it :bow: . It took 6 months for me when i was trying to find it and I found one 200 miles from me (the only one in the state at the time) called the store and had put 700 down over the phone, the person on the other line thought I was crazy at the time. :lol:
Its a Great gun just like norcalhunter13 says.
:beer:
shorterthanu
Newb

Postby norcalhunter13 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:46 am

shorterthanu welcome to duckhuntingchat!

That is funny that you found the review on google. haha! I am glad to hear that you like your 105 cti and I am very impressed to hear that you have the original version with virtually no problems (besides you said failure to cycle occasionally). Did it ever have to go back to the factory for repair work?
Have you thought about maybe getting the 105 cti 2 enhancement kit? You send your shotgun into Remington and they will upgrade all the parts and labeling as it is for the 105 cti 2. From what I have read and heard the difference between the 105 cti and the 105 cti 2 is quite significant in improving the function and performance of the shotgun (ohio mike said his kicks slightly harder (read above), but I have not heard this from anyone else that has had this done). The cost is $440 for it unless you can make a valid warranty claim that you are having cycling problems ( you said you got it in 07 so I guess the warrany is probably expired... Just thought I should mention it though.)

I saw a brand new 1st style 105 cti sell for $610 on an auction website the other day. I have seen brand new 105 cti 2's going for about $750 to $850 online. The prices keep getting better and better! My local Cabelas is offering new 105 cti 2 for $999, and there are the cash card coupons available that will give you $150 in store credit if you spend $500. If you are able to use two of those coupons that would put the 105 cti 2 at about $700.

I also first fell in love 105 cti also when I read a bunch of reviews about in magazines, and about the bottom eject receiver ect. However, when I finally put my paws on a 105 cti the guy at the gun counter in Cabelas scared me away stating that there was numerous problems with them, and to wait for an updated version to come out. However, I still remember the first time I shouldered it at Cabelas, it came up like a dream for me, it was just like an extension of my body and besides all of the problems he told me it had I wanted it anyway. lol. Long story short I waited a few years and when the 105 cti 2 came out, I got one right away.

A little update on my 105 cti's:

Just last week I got my spare parts for my two 105 cti 2's. I got a brand new 28 inch barrel for my 105 cti 2 that has 26 inch barrel on it. I got a new rate control damper assembly (the oil filled housing cylinder in the buttstock), a recoil pad, 3 action springs, a firing pin, a firing pin spring, and an extra fore end support. Everything was packaged very nicely and labeled (but it was really expensive the barrel alone was $302!!! :eek: ). Some of the parts were back-ordered but I got my stuff within about 3-4 weeks. I am just nervous that they will soon not have very much for spare parts because they are not producing the 105 cti 2 anymore, and the rumor I read about the Versamax is that they are using most of the parts from the old 105 cti line. So I stocked up, and I should be good for life now. :beer:

-norcalhunter13
"Quit?
Just When It's
Getting Good?"

Proud Member of CWA
norcalhunter13
hunter

Postby norcalhunter13 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:02 am

base7ballrj wrote:well, norcalhunter, i personally love the bottom eject. i also like the automatic chambering of the shell. it's very convenient. the bottom eject is great because i don't see the shell after i shoot it, plus, the shells end up in a nice pile right in front of me.

Sorry I did not reply to this sooner base7ballrj. I must have not seen it. That is good to hear that you like bottom eject, I was wondering if it would be convenient on the trap range or more difficult. I also enjoy the automatic chambering, it reminds me of the Browning shotguns. It is funny that you mention that nice pile of shells in front of you. I have a slight problem with that feature... When I go hunting out in the marsh in standing water and I shoot my shells they get ejected straight down so fast that sometimes that they "dunked" in the water and sink and disappear in the murky depths forever. I noticed this because when I was picking up my shell casings the number of shots I remember firing and shell casings did not add up.
"Quit?
Just When It's
Getting Good?"

Proud Member of CWA
norcalhunter13
hunter

Postby jack31850 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:34 pm

I HAVE SHOT MY 105 CTI II 250 ROUNDS. I CLEANED IT AS PER THE OWNER'S MANUAL AT 175 ROUNDS. I HAVE HAD ONLY ONE ISSUE. THE SAFETY BUTTON JAMMED CLOSED. AFTER PULLING FORWARD ON THE TRIGGER, I GOT THE SAFETY BUTTON WORKING AGAIN. I SQUIRTED SOME REM OIL ON THE SAFETY BUTTON AND IT WAS STILL STIFF. I SHOT ANOTHER BOX OF SHELLS THRU IT IN ABOUT 10 MINUTES AND EVERYTHING WORKED FINE.
jack31850
hunter

Postby Augusta » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:32 pm

I saw this forum and I just had to become a member and give my two cents. I purchased my CTI II in December of 2009. Mine has the "R" plate, the II engraved on the side, but does not have the II on the forearm, and I am certain that I have the latest version. The only troubles that I have had were back in December when I first used it. I live in MN and it was cold outside, and I mean O degrees cold. Every time I would shoot, it would not reload the second shell, the shell would simply drop to the ground. When it was warm, it worked just fine. Keep in mind, the gun was brand new, meaning less than 20 shells put through it. Since summer now, I have put well over 400 rounds through it without a single incident. I shoot the Wally World 100 pak at 1200 feet per second. I suspect the cold had an effect on the break in oil. I just want to say a huge "thank you" to all you guys who are being honest about this gun. It is truely a master piece and it sickens me to know that Remington is not making it anymore. What a beautiful gun! I just can't wait for pheasant season this year!
Augusta
hunter

Postby Augusta » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:10 pm

Update:
I finally let my wife shoot my CTI II at the trap range. She loved it so much, we went out and bought one for her. :smile: :smile:
Augusta
hunter

Postby norcalhunter13 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:54 pm

Sorry I have not replied sooner. I have been busy lately.

Jack 31850, glad to hear that you go the safety problem worked out! That is never good when the safety does not work properly.

Thanks for the update Augusta/post and welcome to the forum! Congrats on the two 105 cti 2's. I got two of them at home in my safe as well! The sure look pretty sitting side by side in my safe. Keep us posted, and if you have any problems. Next time when it is cold out you might want to try some Breek Free CLP, it might work a little bit better in cooler temperatures. That shotgun is going to look sweet out in the pheasant fields! :thumbsup: (I get a lot of compliments on my shotgun all the time, I am sure you will too!)

Quick update on my shotgun: First of all I forgot to mention that after the end of duck hunting season, I put in a Sure Cycle Magazine Tube spring/system. Since that time I have had zero cycle or feed failures all together, besides that 1 oz load incident, where it did not cycle all the way. So hopefully it keeps shooting and spiting shells out into the duck/pheasant hunting season.

If I have a single problem again where my gun does not allow me to fire, I will send it back to the factory to be looked at before the warranty is up this coming June, and since I have a spare 105 cti 2 is not a huge loss for me. :grooving: . I am currently sending in my older Remington 105 cti 2 back to the factory, to have them adjust the receiver and barrel rib alignment. I asked them to look at it and fix it last time it was in, and I think they forgot too.I called Remington about it and they were very nice about it are even covering the shipping cost to make things right! :thumbsup: Should have it back in time for hunting season.

Also ohio mike I have not been able to find any pro bore rifled choke tubes. My suggestion would be to call Carlson's Choke tube and see if they can make one for you, and how much they would charge. If I am not mistaken you can also shoot Deer slugs with a cylinder choke tube. Might want to look into that too! Maybe not as accurate though. Sorry I could not be of more help.
"Quit?
Just When It's
Getting Good?"

Proud Member of CWA
norcalhunter13
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Shotgun Forum