Remington 105 CTI II Review (Long Term)

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Re: Remington 105 CTI II Review (Long Term)

Postby ohio mike » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:36 pm

Augusta wrote:Ohio, what type of "fine" steel wool are you using to clean the interior of our magazine? I want to try that method? Thanks

000,it was actually a suggestion from Remington. Be sure to wipe it off really well and check for fibers.You will actually be able to feel a improvement in the smoothness when you cycle it by hand. It's the exterior not interior.
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby Augusta » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:03 pm

Exterior not interior? I am confused.
Augusta
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:06 pm

Exterior,it scrubs all residue off and makes it smooth as a baby's butt.There's a actual difference in the feel when you pull back on the operating rod handle.I also clean the gas ports with a pipe cleaner. I only tear the gun clear down once a year.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby Augusta » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:23 am

Ok, so you are talking about doing the interior of the magazine tube, and the exterior of the slide area. Correct?
Augusta
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:48 pm

Jack31850 you are right it is 0000 steel my bad :no: Augusta I clean the exterior of the tube with steel wool where the burnt residue occurs. The interior where the shells and plug go with patches.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby jack31850 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:10 pm

Thanks Ohio!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jack31850
hunter

Postby Augusta » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:16 pm

Ok, now I got it. Thanks Ohio!
Augusta
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:29 pm

Let me know how it works for you guys. Just for fun run some light 1oz. loads. The only trouble I have with them is the extractor will pull a head off the cheap ass Winchester promo loads. AA and STS no problem.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby norcalhunter13 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:53 pm

Thanks Ohio for the information and clarifying the exterior. I figured you meant the exterior of the magazine tube.

But hey Augusta! I bet it would not hurt to clean the interior as well.... :lol:

Also just thought I pass along some info I found reading the owners manual again. Apparently you are NOT supposed to remove the gas seal ring that is on the barrel in front of the gas ports. I have always practiced removing and cleaning mine, as it gets wet from duck hunting, and it actually has shown signs of rust starting to form numerous times. It pops on and off quite easily, have not noticed any adverse effects. Was curious if you guys do the same? I think it is just a minor detail, that Remington was worried about, but does not really matter.

FYI: I am NOT talking about the two metals rings on the action slider portion (the thick one and little one).

Ohio, I run 1 oz loads for clays all the time (I use Federals), usually without problems until beyond 100 rounds or so. Then a lot of friction starts to build up on the action slider and magazine tube.
"Quit?
Just When It's
Getting Good?"

Proud Member of CWA
Proud Member of Ducks Unlimited
Proud Member of Delta Waterfowl
norcalhunter13
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:07 am

I do the same thing. I think Remington just wanted to keep the already somewhat complicated process as simple as possible. By the way I've still got the anniversary cap on my stock and not the R. I'd really hate to lose it.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby norcalhunter13 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:05 pm

Alright 105 Cti owners.

I have a mystery for you all to solve.

Turn to page 16 of your owners manual. :lol3:

Within the manual you will see Picture 33.

It details the Action sleeve seal and inner seal.

Notice how the inner seal has a "lip to it" for the outer seal to fit over it.

Not sure what y'all have configured on your 105 cti's. However mine inner seal is a FLAT thin seal.

Do any of y'all have the "lip" inner seal?

Secondly, I called Remington last week, and ordered a few more spare parts for the 105 cti. Long story short they do not carry very many spare parts anymore. I managed to get a few though. If your 105 cti ever breaks a part, contact me first not Remington as I more than likely will have it. :thumbsup:

Anyways. I saw that they had a part number for "105 CTi Action Sleeve I" It thought it was odd, as they also had the inner and outer action seal on the parts list. So I said what the heck and decided to order it to see what it was. Part number# F301801

Anyways, what I got was part I never seen before.

It was slightly thicker than the inner seal but it has an "angled lip". I thought that was interesting, I never seen a part like that before.
So I guessed that it went on as the inner seal. So I tried place the angled lip inward and even outward with the thicker outer seal on the outside. It does not allow the thicker outer seal to fit all the way on. It is firm, but not "snapped" into place. So I tried switching positions with the inner and out, "just in case", and I had the same results.

So next I tried using the already thin inner seal with this weird angled lip seal, and they fit on together but it wiggles around a bit.

Anways, was wondering what y'all thought about it? Any input or ideas? :huh:
Last edited by norcalhunter13 on Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Quit?
Just When It's
Getting Good?"

Proud Member of CWA
norcalhunter13
hunter

Postby norcalhunter13 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:10 pm

Left to right: Outer seal, inner seal, angled lip seal.
Attachments
IMG_20131028_185523.jpg
"Quit?
Just When It's
Getting Good?"

Proud Member of CWA
norcalhunter13
hunter

Postby norcalhunter13 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:15 pm

My best guess on a possible configuration. :huh:
Attachments
IMG_20131028_191119.jpg
"Quit?
Just When It's
Getting Good?"

Proud Member of CWA
norcalhunter13
hunter

Postby Augusta » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:07 am

I don't have that angled seal....
Augusta
hunter

Postby wapsijim » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:00 pm

A little off the subject, but has anyone used your 105 to shoot shotgun slugs? Just curious, I don't see anything for or against it in the manual.

I've gotten out a few times and shot some doves and lately pheasants so far this fall, CTi II worked like a charm.

:smile:
wapsijim
Newb

Postby Augusta » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:46 pm

Not me. By the way, the pheasants are hating my CTI II's again this year. ;)
Augusta
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:42 pm

norcalhunter13 wrote:My best guess on a possible configuration. :huh:

I don't have the angled seal, just the 2 flat ones.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby mindsprung » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:12 pm

Hope someone can help. Someone gave me a cti ii. I took it apart and at some point the spring assembly in the stock fell out. I'm not sure where the "recoil dampener?" Piece goes on the spring. I can only find the original cti manual online and it doesn't show the stock inset spring assembly. I put the metal "recoil dampener?" piece towards the bolt, concave piece facing out. The bolt slides back most of the way but gets tight towards the back. I had to make an operating handle and am not sure if this piece, the spring assembly, or something else is causing the problem. It is too tight for the bolt release to release the bolt without also pushing on the operating handle. When fired, the bolt goes far enough back that an excessive amount of force is required to return the bolt. I have no idea if the dimensions of the operating handle are near correct as the gun is so far past the point of discontinued that remington couldn't even provide me with dimensions, much less a replacement. The spring itself is probably bent a little, but it is completely recessed in the stock slot when the gun is assembled so I think it would not necessarily be the problem. Help?
mindsprung
Newb

Postby norcalhunter13 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:48 pm

mindsprung,

Could you please post some pictures? We might be better able to help you. If you are still in need of assistance.
"Quit?
Just When It's
Getting Good?"

Proud Member of CWA
norcalhunter13
hunter

Previous

Return to Shotgun Forum