Remington 105 CTI II Review (Long Term)

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Re: Remington 105 CTI II Review vs. SBE II (Long Term)

Postby Augusta » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:32 pm

Norcal:
Where did you buy your spare parts at if I may ask? Thanks
Augusta
hunter

Postby norcalhunter13 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:13 pm

I ordered them directly from Remington.

Go here:

http://www.remington.com/pages/support/ ... ation.aspx

Click on Parts Price List:

Open up the PDF
and Search for "105cti"

Make sure the word "105cti" is together!

It has all the pricing information and parts that are available ( be aware that the parts that are color coded may have special restrictions, like "factory only" refer to the color key at the very top of the parts price list). Then simply call Remington and tell them what parts you want based on the description or part number. Shipping is like $7 or $14 dollars depending how much money you spend on parts. It is a good way to get extra springs for the action for a fair price, as they do wear out after a while. :thumbsup:
"Quit?
Just When It's
Getting Good?"

Proud Member of CWA
Proud Member of Ducks Unlimited
Proud Member of Delta Waterfowl
norcalhunter13
hunter

Postby Augusta » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:53 pm

Thanks for the info Norcal
Augusta
hunter

Postby base7ballrj » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:14 pm

norcalhunter, i may have been a little vague on the whole pile thing :) the shells don't necessarily end up in a pile, but in a pretty reasonable closeness to where i was shooting from. and i can definitely understand losing shells in the water. those things jump outta that gun so quick. i also got the opportunity to fully load up my gun (4+1) and shoot it empty as quick as possible. The gun is fast to say the least. it shot every time i pulled the trigger in probably a little less than a second or so. i was impressed. also, i was wondering if anybody here knows what the stock is actually made out of, as mine got hit by a shattered clay bird on the sporting clays course and got a pretty bad scratch. if anybody has any input as how to fix that scratch up, that'd be great. thanks a bunch. plus, no problems with mine since my last post, and i discovered that it's key to make sure you have GREASE on the locking nut, etc.

-base7ballrj
base7ballrj
hunter

Postby Augusta » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:11 pm

base7ballrj wrote:norcalhunter, i may have been a little vague on the whole pile thing :) the shells don't necessarily end up in a pile, but in a pretty reasonable closeness to where i was shooting from. and i can definitely understand losing shells in the water. those things jump outta that gun so quick. i also got the opportunity to fully load up my gun (4+1) and shoot it empty as quick as possible. The gun is fast to say the least. it shot every time i pulled the trigger in probably a little less than a second or so. i was impressed. also, i was wondering if anybody here knows what the stock is actually made out of, as mine got hit by a shattered clay bird on the sporting clays course and got a pretty bad scratch. if anybody has any input as how to fix that scratch up, that'd be great. thanks a bunch. plus, no problems with mine since my last post, and i discovered that it's key to make sure you have GREASE on the locking nut, etc.

-base7ballrj

I am somewhat confused, what do you mean "grease on the locking nut"? Thanks
Augusta
hunter

Postby norcalhunter13 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:08 pm

Thanks for the update! Hahah I know what you mean by the shells "kind of being in a pile" in front of you.
I always find it better then having shells eject out the side and hitting the guy next to you when you are doing trap. Had that happen with my sx3 before, the guy was not too happy with that.

What kind of problems have you noticed base7ballrj if you don't grease the bolt cam pin and locking ring? Just curious...

Augusta, the "locking nut" we are talking about is described on page 13, on the right side, at the top of the page, in your owner's manual. In the manual it is called the "bolt cam pin" and "locking ring". These are two parts that need grease (there is a picture that shows the parts at the bottom of page 14, picture 25). Hope this helps. My shotgun is currently on it's way to the factory. I hope that the turn around is pretty quick because it should be a simple fix to light up the sight rib and receiver. :thumbsup:
"Quit?
Just When It's
Getting Good?"

Proud Member of CWA
norcalhunter13
hunter

Postby Augusta » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:00 pm

Thanks norcal. Yes, I have been greasing those parts with a high quality grease. Thanks again!
Augusta
hunter

Postby base7ballrj » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:46 pm

Well the problem i would have was it was like the carrier prongs wouldn't get pushed up in the receiver after the bolt went through them on the way closed. so when i shot, the prongs weren't above the shell when it got pushed backward, resulting in the shell being pushed on and bent when it was only halfway back in the chamber. the shell would then be jammed in the receiver. i spent a few hours examining the gun after this problem started occurring and teaching myself exactly how the gun actually works. i then read through the owners manual again and noticed the "gun grease part". i went to the store and got some and applied it to the correct parts and haven't had a problem since, except for i know it's time to regrease it when it starts to jam again. then it's great :grooving: all that i can say is that this gun is different from MANY other guns in SO MANY ways, but if you take to time to just look at the gun closely and examine the way it works, then it should be much easier to figure out what the problem is. i think this is the reason the gun wasn't popular because people were just to lazy to try to understand a new concept, even if the gun is actually AMAZING :beer:
base7ballrj
hunter

Postby Augusta » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:25 pm

Update on my newest CTI II. I have decided to send my newest CTI back to Remington. It shoots my 1200/ft Federal trap shells just fine, no problems whatsoever. But when I try to shoot my Federal Premium, 1500/ft, most of the time, the second or third shell falls to the ground with my empty. I have cleaned the gun and greased it. It will work good for a few shots and then right back at it. My first CTI II works like a charm...I just love these guns....
Augusta
hunter

Postby norcalhunter13 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:14 am

Thanks for the information base7ballrj! What you are describing sounds like what might have been happening to me when I was getting jams while I was out duck hunting. I have not put grease on those two parts since I got my two 105 cti 2's, only oil and cleaning solution. (I also did not know about this greasing component until June this year when I saw it in the owner's manual) I am definitely going to go out and get some now high quality grease on those parts now though! :thumbsup:

Are you describing the "spent/empty" shell getting jammed, or a fresh shell getting jammed? I am assuming you are saying a spent shell...

In addition, if I understand you correctly it sounds like if you don't grease those two components that the "locking ring", will not rotate properly which results in it getting in the way of the carrier prongs, and therefore this causes the carrier prongs to not sit properly when up at the top of the receiver, when the bolt is closed. Therefore when you fire the empty shell essentially gets "stove piped" up in the receiver because the carrier prongs are in the way. :huh:

What kind of grease are you using for it currently base7ballrj???

Augusta, sorry to here that one of the 105 cti's 2's have been giving you trouble. Could you please provide the specifics for the exact load and type of shells you were using (dram eq, oz of load, ect)??. Also did you double check and make sure that you were seating the shells entirely in the magazine tube? Maybe make sure that the "quick release" latch that holds the shells in the magazine tube is not bent? Good luck on getting it repaired and lets us know the outcome!

Remington is currently working on servicing my 105 cti 2 right now, hopefully they will have it done by this week. :bow:
Last edited by norcalhunter13 on Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Quit?
Just When It's
Getting Good?"

Proud Member of CWA
norcalhunter13
hunter

Postby norcalhunter13 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:18 pm

Just got a call from Remington today. They fixed the barrel/receiver alignment and test fired it. It will be on the truck tonight, and shipped home first thing tomorrow! :thumbsup:
"Quit?
Just When It's
Getting Good?"

Proud Member of CWA
norcalhunter13
hunter

Postby Augusta » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:41 pm

Norcal:
The shells that I am referring to are the Federal Premium High Velocity Upland Loads. They are 1,500/ft /second, 2 3/4 inch, 1 3/8 ounce, 4,5,& 6 lead shot. I don't know the drams, but they kick like mules. I did check into the way I was loading it as that was my first thought, but no avail. You may have a point with the "quick release latch" as I suspect that might be the problem. It releases shells very easily, but I really want Remington to check it out for me just in case. There is still time before Pheasant season and I would rather send it in now and not four weeks from now. I did call Remington to discuss my problem. The first rep I got was no help, he refused to send me a prepaid shipping label, told me that I would have to pay repairs...ect... I called them again and got another who was much better than the first one. He took my problem info, called someone else and told me that they have seen some problems with the high powered shells. He said that the carrier can get "jolted/jiggled" thus in turn causing the unspent shell to drop out.( Maybe he meant "quick release latch") He told me that I could shoot lighter shells :rolleyes: or send it back for repairs. It is going out tomorrow. :smile:
Augusta
hunter

Postby base7ballrj » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:17 pm

yes, the shells that got stuck were indeed the spent shells, exactly as you described. for grease, i went to gander mtn. and got "Shooter's Choice All Weather High-Tech Grease". It's a 10ml syringe. it has worked quite well for the job it's supposed to do.
base7ballrj
hunter

Postby Augusta » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:05 am

Update on my CTI II. I spoke to Remington, they have already fixed my gun and it is on its way back to me. They adjusted the feeding mechanism. I will have it this Thursday, October 14. That is one fast turn around! Once I receive it, I will test it and post my results. I am really impressed with the turn around. I shipped the gun on September 28 and will have it back on October 14. Thats just a little over two weeks, and the time includes 8 days of shipping.
Augusta
hunter

Postby norcalhunter13 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:27 am

Thanks for the update Augusta! I wish Remington would go into more detail on how they adjust "the feeding mechanism", I would like to know exactly what they do...because they did the same one line statement for my 105 cti when I was having cycling issues except they said "adjusted action". Please let me know how it performs with those Federal "heavy payload" shells, you were shooting.

I also went to the store and I got some "Shooter's Choice All Weather High-Tech Grease" the other day for my 105 cti's cost about $7 dollars. Looking forward to greasing up those two critical parts in my two 105 cti's soon, and seeing how they shoot. I also got my 105 cti back a few weeks ago from Remington, it was a very quick turn around like you mentioned. They fixed the barrel rib alignment with the receiver. It is PERFECT now! :bow: Now it is time to take it out in the marsh, and shoot some ducks and pheasants! :thumbsup:

Also on a side-note, I am no longer an owner of a Benelli product... I sold my SBE 2, and if anybody is wondering why...read above.. :yes:
"Quit?
Just When It's
Getting Good?"

Proud Member of CWA
norcalhunter13
hunter

Postby Kurt Lehman » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:43 am

It's no wonder the CTI has been droped from Rems line up with all those problems holy cow! what happens if you dont get everything greased well enough or if the grease picks up some dirt while hunting you will have a single shot? wow you guy's are die hards. I would not own a gun that needed such babying. Norcal you were nuts to sell the SBE if the CTI is your only gun :smile:

Kurt
Kurt Lehman
hunter

Postby Augusta » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:00 am

Die hard? Me? Not at all. This gun is just by far the best shotgun I have ever shot. Heck, I am seriously thinking about a 3rd CTI II. I need one for my daughter...
Augusta
hunter

Postby norcalhunter13 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:29 pm

Kurt, thank you for your input. You do bring up a very valuable point about the problems and issues with the 105 cti 2. The average consumer/hunter, who wants to shoot a lot clean very little and not have to deal with actually reading the instructions manual, should not purchase this gun. This gun does require more care then a SBE 2 and even some other gas autos, but to me cleaning and proper maintenance is part of the relationship and responsibility involved in owning a firearm.
I am not saying that you are an average consumer, I am just stating I see and understand your viewpoint, but to me maintenance is not that big of a deal.

Also about the grease part, my firearm has been functioning quite reliably (not flawless) without grease since I got it, because I did not know about needing to grease it, until I read the instruction manual in even greater depth (the same could be said about the SBE 2's problem with people not understanding that the return spring in the stock needs to be cleaned every once in a while).

The 105 cti is not as finicky as it sounds, all firearms have advantages and limitations. So while the SBE 2 is a great gun and design, I can guarantee you, that my shot to kill ratio or clay per shell ratio, has greatly improved since I abandoned shooting my SBE 2 and starting using my 105 cti exclusively. I did have the SBE 2 shimmed to fit me and everything, but I could never quite shoot it nearly as well. The 105 cti fits me a lot better, and my improved shooting shows this, like I mentioned above and what is mentioned on a lot of other topics in the shotgun forum, fit is the most critical component. Even with the SBE2 being adjustable I could not get it to fit right. Cleaning it less was nice, but I would much rather clean my shotgun more often and bag more birds.

In addition, I personally find the owning one of the only bottom eject semi-automatic shotgun in the history of shotguns is pretty cool. So am I a die-hard? No, not really, I just found something that works for me, and works very well. So if "it is not broke, then don't try and fix it" is my take on things.

The continued discussion of this topic is for those 105 cti owners of potential owners who have questions about the firearm, or want to discuss how there 105 cti's are performing out the in the field. This is purely an information topic that I started, to increase everybody knowledge about the 105 cti (since it is so limited in reviews). Since I started this topic it has served its purpose well, it has helped many people make a decision of whether or not to purchase this firearm. It seems that it helped you in making the decision/conclusion that the 105 cti would not be a good fit for you. I am just trying to provide unbiased information about the shotgun, and my opinions of its performance in the field and range. I am not trying to hide anything, because I have been the victim before of making a huge investment in a firearm because there was little information or reviews on it, and the performance of the firearm was terrible, and it was quite frustrating. I don't want people to have to experience that. Anyways, thanks again for your input, I do appreciate it. :smile:

oh and it is my only gun now, and I own two of them. So I guess I am a little nuts. And I have been eyeballing a potential third one. :lol3:
"Quit?
Just When It's
Getting Good?"

Proud Member of CWA
norcalhunter13
hunter

Postby Kurt Lehman » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:56 pm

You are right this is a very good thread for owners of CTI's, I looked at them myself a couple of times but did not like how they fit me. If Remington would have only thought about shims I may have bought one. I would have rather bought a gun built in the USA than Italy. I had my SBE II up for sale three times since it just never fit me right but with no luck selling it I decided to put a limb saver pad on it and wow its a whole diferent gun now it lands in pocket of my shoulder the same everytime unlike the comfort tech pad, I could never nail down what bugged me about the SBE II until I changed the that dang pad!
Good luck with the CTI's, fight the good fight and keep them in the field it's a shame that Rem threw in the towel with it I think it was a good idea.

Kurt
Kurt Lehman
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:19 pm

Kurt Lehman wrote:You are right this is a very good thread for owners of CTI's, I looked at them myself a couple of times but did not like how they fit me. If Remington would have only thought about shims I may have bought one. I would have rather bought a gun built in the USA than Italy. I had my SBE II up for sale three times since it just never fit me right but with no luck selling it I decided to put a limb saver pad on it and wow its a whole diferent gun now it lands in pocket of my shoulder the same everytime unlike the comfort tech pad, I could never nail down what bugged me about the SBE II until I changed the that dang pad!
Good luck with the CTI's, fight the good fight and keep them in the field it's a shame that Rem threw in the towel with it I think it was a good idea.

Kurt

There is a shim kit available,and with a little modification I was able to do a cast off/cast on adjustment too.Its not my only gun but has become my favorite.To each his own. :thumbsup:
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:52 pm

Today was opening day here in Ohio,I was shooting the new Remington Hypersonic.The loads delivered a limit of Mallards.That said the recoil is pretty stiff,so stiff in fact that it split the forearm on my 105CTI the full length right down the middle.This is the second forearm! As much as I like this gun,and as much as I've recommended it I'm getting tired of problems.Believe me Remington is going to get a ear full Monday morning.As good as it is with light and mediun loads if I can't shoot the heavy stuff its of no use to me.I'll keep you posted.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby Augusta » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:39 am

Mike, sorry to hear of your problems. It was opening day for pheasants here in MN. My CTI II worked perfectly. I am shooting the Fiocchi GPX Golden Pheasant loads, 2/34 inch, 1485 ft/second, #5 1 3/8 ounce loads. I have shot two boxes thru the gun since I got the new one back from Remington. It cycles perfectly! This gun is deadly. Just ask the limit of pheasants in my freezer... :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Augusta
hunter

Postby norcalhunter13 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:39 am

I am very sorry to hear this ohio mike. That is really unfortunate and I understand you frustrations entirely. It does seem like there is a fair amount of problems with this gun when there really shouldn't be.

I have heard of forearms on shotguns such as the A-5 also being really prone to splitting. If I recall the 105 cti (the original), had forearm splitting problems, but they resolved the issue on the 105 cti 2, by putting in a sturdier metal brace in the forearm. You mentioned earlier that "They also replaced the cracked forearm with a new style". So it should have been strong enough from the start being that they improved it.... I wonder if there was a minor or hairline crack in the wood??? Maybe from accidentally dropping it or banging on something or it being damaged in the manufacturing process. Did the forearm just fall apart in your hands when shooting it?? :huh:

Be sure to give Remington and earful for this!!! I hope they don't make you send the 105 cti back to the factory. I hope that they just immediately ship you a new forearm. Best of luck, and please let us know the outcome.

Also on a side note...CONGRATS ON THE LIMIT OF MALLARDS!!! That is always a great way to start the season! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the update Augusta, I am glad to hear that the heavy loads are working, and the pheasants are not flying! haha :lol3:
"Quit?
Just When It's
Getting Good?"

Proud Member of CWA
norcalhunter13
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:07 pm

The forearm was as new from Remington.I looked it over real well before putting it on the gun.It is beefer then the original,also that little gold dot on the forearm its a brass screw to reinforce the front.The forearm split 3/4 the length .At the front the gaps almost1/4 inch.If it weren't for the screw it would have split completely in half.This happened within 14 rounds of hypersonic,no other shells had been fired since installation. :mad:
ohio mike
hunter

Postby FullandFuller » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:27 pm

Thanks to all the contributors to this thread. I appreciate the honest exchange here.

Sorry to hear about that forearm Ohio Mike. I've shot about a box of the 1-1/4 oz hypersonics so far. They pack a serious wallop in my opinion, and I decided after my first patterning session with them that I would advise anyone not to shoot them from a 3" chambered gun, particularly with wood stock. I told my brother the next day not to run any through his 1187 Premier. They are gonna beat up some guns, especially the 1-1/4 oz load.

I shoot a 453 and have the option to adjust the gas system. I needed to when shooting those Rems - they averaged 16 ft ejections with my normal duck/goose setting. My normal 3" steel loads average around 8 ft with that setting. I had one hypersonic hull eject 23 feet, and the hull mouth was mangled. :eek: If I had to shoot them from a 3" 1187 I would definitely remove the o-ring and hope that allows enough extra gas to bleed off.
bmoy1920 wrote:LOVE Giada!! I would love to use my pass on her!

FullandFuller
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Shotgun Forum