Remington 105 CTI II Review (Long Term)

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Re: Remington 105 CTI II Review vs. SBE II (Long Term)

Postby Augusta » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:55 am

Well, I went and did it. I am now the proud owner of 3 CTi II's. I will keep everyone posted on how each one performs.
Augusta
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:31 pm

Called Remington about the split forearm.The first thing they said was "OH MY" When I told them that the Hypersonics did it.They want the whole gun back to check for any other damage.They're sending me a shipping label.My advice to all CTI owners is to avoid these shells.They kick to damn bad anyway and ought to be relegated to use in 3 1/2 inch guns.Bear in mind this happened with the 1 1/8 oz loads not the 1 1/4 oz.I'll keep you posted on what transpires. I do have to say so far Remington has been very helpful and courteous with all my dealings with them.
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby base7ballrj » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:05 pm

Norcal, glad to see you got some of the grease. Let me know how it works for ya. Sorry to hear 'bout the forearm ohio, but thanks for the fair warning about the shells. Those are some high-powered beasts!!! I'm gearing up for some pheasants soon, thinking they won't be liking the 105 too much :smile:
base7ballrj
hunter

Postby R0b0tD3v1l » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:38 am

Hi,

I found this thread through Google. I bought a CTi II over the summer for use with sporting clays. I admit that I didn't read the manual well enough as I learned about using grease from this thread. My gun has about 700 rounds through it at this point. I usually clean my shotgun after each round of clays, but occasionally will shoot 2 rounds between cleaning. My 2 other shotguns are a old 1100 that I bought used and a 1960's NIB (when I bought it) spanish side by side 20ga that a local shop has a lot of on hand.

When I was buying my first shotgun last year, I loved how the CTi shouldered but couldn't justify the price at the time. I ended up buying my used 1100. When I saw the CTi for under $800 online, I had to jump on it.

Anyway, through my 700 rounds, I have had 2 times where it failed to chamber the second shot. Both were from the same box of Rio Trap 1 1/8oz #8 right after the break-in with the nitros. The shells actually got caught on the bottom edge going into the chamber. The plastic actually what torn open a 1/4 of an inch and some of the shot came out, which I didn't realize at the time. This happened at the 7th and 8th stands. I had to remove the barrel to get the shells out. By the time we got to the 12th stand my trigger was frozen. I finished up with my 1100.

When I got home, I broke everything down and found that the #8 shot had worked its way into my trigger mechanism. It came out very easily. I have shot 400 rounds since then with out any issue. My inclination is that the shell was the issue more so than the gun.

Anyway, I love the gun and get a lot of questions about it. People who shoot it typically like it. It is a shame that the gun was not more successful. I have not yet held a Versamax but wouldn't be interested until they put a wood stock on one anyway.
R0b0tD3v1l
Newb

Postby Augusta » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:53 pm

So how are the guns working guys? Mine are working great! Lots of dead roosters to prove it. :wink: :wink:
Augusta
hunter

Postby norcalhunter13 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:55 pm

I have been busy, sorry I have not responded lately.

baseball7rj-I will let you know how the grease works out on the gun, when I get the chance to put it on, and shoot it. I won't be able to use my 105 until end of November, when I go home on leave for Thanksgiving. So for now it is in the safe, but I assure you I will have a full report up once I get back and also once the waterfowl season is over. :thumbsup:

R0b0tD3v1l - thanks for the story about your 105 cti. I find that there always seems to be some shotguns that don't like a particular shells, and no matter what you do it is always best to avoid those shells. Anyways, keep us posted on its performance, and how it holds up. oh! And welcome to the forum! :welcome:

ohio mike- I hope Remington is working on getting your 105 back to you as soon as possible. Let use know when you get it. Also thanks for the heads up on the Hypersonic loads, I was actually considering getting a box of 1 1/8 oz to see how they performed, and how the shotgun handled the recoil. But, know I think I will hold off, after what you said, I recall reading on the forum earlier about a similar thing happening to someone's Browning Maxus when they fired those Hypersonic shells, except the gun did not fall apart, although the guy said he thought it was going to .

Augusta- congrats on the three 105 cti's !!! You have more then me now! I am jealous, keep us posted on how all three of them perform! Also what is the kill count on roosters so far (if you don't mind me asking)?
"Quit?
Just When It's
Getting Good?"

Proud Member of CWA
Proud Member of Ducks Unlimited
Proud Member of Delta Waterfowl
norcalhunter13
hunter

Postby Augusta » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:25 pm

Norcal:
The count is at 29 and growing...... :beer: :beer:
Augusta
hunter

Postby norcalhunter13 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:19 am

Very nice Augusta! :beer:

Not sure if anyone has noticed by there is someone from Nebraska on the classifieds who wants a new or used 105 cti 2 with a 26 in barrel for his son. He is either looking at buying one, or trading a high quality hunting lab. Not sure if anybody can help him out?

I personally do want a new hunting lab, but I don't want to part with either of my 105 cti's 2. :lol3:
I would sell my 26 inch barrel, since I dislike the point of balance, but beyond that, I can't part with the guns themselves. Anyway, I just thought, I throw it out in case anybody might be interested. But I doubt it...
"Quit?
Just When It's
Getting Good?"

Proud Member of CWA
norcalhunter13
hunter

Postby Augusta » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:35 pm

ohio mike wrote:Today was opening day here in Ohio,I was shooting the new Remington Hypersonic.The loads delivered a limit of Mallards.That said the recoil is pretty stiff,so stiff in fact that it split the forearm on my 105CTI the full length right down the middle.This is the second forearm! As much as I like this gun,and as much as I've recommended it I'm getting tired of problems.Believe me Remington is going to get a ear full Monday morning.As good as it is with light and mediun loads if I can't shoot the heavy stuff its of no use to me.I'll keep you posted.

Ohio Mike, can I ask you how many Hypersonics you shot through the gun? How did they cycle? Thanks
Augusta
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:48 pm

I shot exactly 14 rounds including pattern testing.They were the 1 1/8 oz load.Cycled great,threw the shells about 15 feet when the gun was pointed at about 10 o'clock.Recoil was bad,my buddy quit shooting em out of his Browning after about 10 rounds,and had a purple shoulder the next day.I'm a Remington fan but those things belong in 3 1/2 inch guns.Only thing good I can say about em they will put #4's clear thru a Mallard at 35 yards.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby Augusta » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:55 pm

Thanks for the info Ohio Mike. I think I will pass on buying those shells. I don't think I need that much power to kill a pheasant. Any word from Remington on your CTI II?
Augusta
hunter

Postby norcalhunter13 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:48 am

Augusta wrote:I don't think I need that much power to kill a pheasant.

Let alone recoil! Those shells, sounds like they kick like a mule! The Browning has a true self-regulating gas system too ( I am assuming it s a Browning Gold, or Silver)! Which should actually make the recoil more manageable, unlike the 105 cti 2. These shells, sound like they are going to be shells that cause bad habits such as flinching, and jerking the gun before you shoot. The end result is that the added advantage of being able to put #4 clean through a mallard at 35 yards, is useless, if you can't even get the shoot pattern on the bird.
Thanks again for the info ohio mike.
"Quit?
Just When It's
Getting Good?"

Proud Member of CWA
norcalhunter13
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:43 pm

Gonna give Remington a call tomorrow,(Nov 5th) They will have had it a week.According to UPS it was delivered on Oct. 29.While I've got em on the phone I'm gonna ask em what They want me to do with 2 1/2 boxs of Hypersonics.I'm scared to death of shooting em in my 870.Probably have to sell em to somebody with a 3.5 gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby jack31850 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:14 am

I have emailed Remington two times, the latest over two weeks ago, if I could shoot the Hypersonic Shells in my 1100 G3, my 105 cti II, and my 2007 Remington 870 Wingmaster. All are 12 gauge magnum guns. Remington has yet to respond. The first time I emailed them was a month ago or more.

Jack31850
jack31850
hunter

Postby norcalhunter13 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:58 am

Maybe try calling them and asking?

I forgot to mention, I would avoid them in the 105 cti 2, based on ohio mikes experience. Not worth the risk of damaging the shotgun.
Last edited by norcalhunter13 on Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Quit?
Just When It's
Getting Good?"

Proud Member of CWA
norcalhunter13
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:31 pm

jack31850 wrote:I have emailed Remington two times, the latest over two weeks ago, if I could shoot the Hypersonic Shells in my 1100 G3, my 105 cti II, and my 2007 Remington 870 Wingmaster. All are 12 gauge magnum guns. Remington has yet to respond. The first time I emailed them was a month ago or more.

Jack31850

Don't, believe me! :no: :no: :mad:
Last edited by ohio mike on Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby Saltwater_Assassin » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:17 am

....................... :bow: Benelli SBE II :grooving:
"It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and the Bible"
- George Washington
Saltwater_Assassin
hunter

Postby base7ballrj » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:26 am

so guys, i'm going pheasant hunting next weekend and i'm wondering what type of shot (brand, FPS, DE, etc) you guys have had good results with. Steel shot would be preferred, i do believe. I'm open to any suggestions!
base7ballrj
hunter

Postby Augusta » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:33 pm

base:

Steel: Remington Nitro Steel, 2 3/4 inch, #2 shot, 1 1/8 ounce,1550 ft/sec.

Lead: Fiochhi GPX Golden Pheasant, 2 3/4 inch, #5, 1 3/8 ounce, 1485 ft/sec.
Last edited by Augusta on Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Augusta
hunter

Postby norcalhunter13 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:03 am

I pretty much just use:

Remington Wingmaster HD 2 3/4 inch 1 1/4 oz of #6, for pheasant and waterfowl

It works really well on both pheasants and waterfowl.

It is pricey, but it allows me to shoot at both waterfowl and pheasants, when am I out hunting, and gives me a good pattern and penetration on the birds. I don't pheasant hunt that much, most of my pheasant hunting occurs when I am walking around looking for waterfowl. The pheasant population is very poor in California, and is not like it used to be 15-20 years ago. So I just use my go to duck load, which is non-toxic and deadly.

I have not tested anything else really, besides target loads. But I do concur with the Fiochhi loads, those are great pheasant loads, and I have never heard a bad comment about them besides the price.

For steel shot, I would recommend the Federal 2 3/4 in, 1 1/8 oz of #3 shot. That is my favorite steel load for pheasant and waterfowl. It is very consistent and effective, and has a good pellet count.

Best of luck to you!
"Quit?
Just When It's
Getting Good?"

Proud Member of CWA
norcalhunter13
hunter

Postby base7ballrj » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:28 pm

I do appreciate the input. When i was at the store today, though, i saw the Federal "Prairie Storm" pheasant loads. i decided i'd give them a try. they're 3 in. 1 5/8 oz, 13XX fps, #6, lead. if you guys have any experience with these shells that'd be pretty cool.
base7ballrj
hunter

Postby Augusta » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:06 pm

base, I have been looking at those shells as well, can you give a review of them afer you have shot a number of them? Thanks
Augusta
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:41 am

Talked to Remington ,They said they replaced the action spring,interceptor latch,and forearm on my gun.Its in final inspection right now and will be shipped this week.The guy I talked to said he ran a box of Hypersonics thru his SuperMag and the recoil was pretty bad.Those things are just to hot for anything but a 3.5 Mag gun in my opinion.I'm gonna peddle whats left.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby base7ballrj » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:50 pm

It almost seems like an interesting idea to ask Remington to put a box of hypersonics through the 105 just to make sure it's ok, since it is supposed to handle the highest 3 in. magnums. But, on the other hand, i think it's much easier to just not shoot those shells :) I will be sure to let people know how the Prairie Storm shells do after the weekend.
base7ballrj
hunter

Postby norcalhunter13 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:56 am

Thanks for the update ohio mike. Sounds like those shells did some damage to your gun.

Base, please do let us know how those prairie storm shells perform. I am curious as well.
"Quit?
Just When It's
Getting Good?"

Proud Member of CWA
norcalhunter13
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Shotgun Forum