what's wrong?

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide

what's wrong?

Postby Cashman » Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:59 pm

I have shot a few ducks and geese with steel shot out of a 12 gauge, modified choke, and a veriaty of shot sizes and loads, at under 40 yards away, but when I hit a duck or goose, theres just a puff of feathers and the bird flies away.

any ideas of why this happens?
Cashman
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:05 pm

Shoot for the head or wait until the birds are past you and shoot as they are going away. Make sure your shot is going 1500fps or faster, it truly helps imo!
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:57 pm

I have the samething happens to me Cashman, I don't know why they don't go down. I just try to lead them more.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby atp » Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:57 am

Hi Guys

The ducks are always further away than we like to think--use a faster shell--kent faststeel (1500fps) or similiar--#2 or BB shot and the puff of feathers will turn into a leathal kill.That little extra velocity makes a great difference in feather penetration.

Good hunting!

TOM
We are located in Vancouver,BC
Hunting done in Manitoba and BC
atp
hunter

Postby Cobra » Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:40 pm

98ramtough has it. High shot velocity and go for the head. Lead 'em than lead 'em some more.
Cobra
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:44 pm

Thats what I say cobra, I like when you get a flock of speedballz (teal) flying sideways right on the water so you can see just how far off your shot is. Just how many yards your shot is hitting behind them. Do the math, 30 yds away, duck flying 50mph-how far does that duck move from the time you shoot to the time that shot hits the duck.
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby twoscoots » Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:19 pm

you never mentioned what size shot?? I use # 2s almost extensively be cause of the pattern from my gun and where I have to hunt! I have shot teal all the way to canada geese. On the geese I try to shoot the light bulb on the end of the stalk, all others, I just plow into em' and follow them to the water ( I learned not to try for the double in the swamp, to easy to lose the first bird). You also did'nt mention the size of the load that you have chosen. You may wish to drop back on the oz. to get a faster load
II want to be in PETA ....people eating tasty animals, pass the gravy please!
twoscoots
hunter

Postby duckbum13 » Sat Jan 08, 2005 3:31 pm

maybe your shooting pop corn curnals instead of shot :toofunny: well im not sure what to tell you besides wait for them to get closer and aim for the head
might as well start callin me the pit man
duckbum13
hunter

Postby Ned S » Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:39 pm

Mfts lie about the velocity. Also pattern your gun, you may be surprised. Ned S :smile: :smile:
Ned Swygard
Ned S
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes