Full or Modified Choke?

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide, pennsyltucky

Full or Modified Choke?

Postby Musselman » Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:30 pm

What kind of Chokes do u guys shoot. I shoot a 391 berreta with a full choke and i think it may be to tight and creating holes in my pattern. has any one else every had problems with a choke being to tight.
Musselman
hunter

Postby donell67 » Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:24 pm

i use a steel full choke on my nova shotguns.they pattern pretty good.you might be using a lead full choke.which is bad to shoot steel through it.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Full Choke

Postby ks_waterfowler » Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:28 pm

If it is the 391 Xtrema, all their chokes are rated to take steel shot. Beretta doesn't recommend going any tighter than Mod cause they say it will mess with your pattern. I shoot IC at decoying ducks and throw in the Mod for geese. The only thing I shoot full at is turkeys.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Re: Full of Modified

Postby So.Dak.Hunter » Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:33 pm

Musselman wrote:What kind of Chokes do u guys shoot. I shoot a 391 berreta with a full choke and i think it may be to tight and creating holes in my pattern. has any one else every had problems with a choke being to tight.

Have you ruled out the operator as being at least part of the problem and not the choke? :eek: :mrgreen:
So.Dak.Hunter
hunter

CHOKES

Postby jmike » Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:34 pm

I SHOTT A BRETTA AL 390 , I WAS USING A FULL , TILL I PATTERNED IT NO GOOD FOR ME , TRIED THE ,IMPROVED IT WAS OK , WHAT I ENDED UP WITH IS A LITTLE KNOWN BEAST CALLED THE IMPROVED /MODIFIED , SHOOTS # 2 STEEL REALLY GOOD , STILL WORKS GOOD ON BB"S TOO ...........JMIKE
dont shoot till there feet are down
jmike
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:44 am

I shoot a mod choke in my Mossy 835, a full in my Mossy 935 and an extra full in my Baikal MP153 while shooting 3.5" 4's. Each gun is different.

Get some butcher paper and tape it up. I used two small pipes to stretch it between. Mark off 40 yards and then shoot at the paper. Draw a 30" circle around the most concentrated part of the pattern and that will let you see what kind of pattern you are shooting. Some chokes/guns will blow holes in the pattern while others will not.

yeller
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby mccree79 » Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:24 am

When using a full choke, if you shoot a large size (BBB or T) you may "blow" your pattern. Go to a less tight choke, or go down on the shoot size. Pattern Master chokes will help resolve the problem and still give you a tight pattern.
mccree79
hunter

Postby txtimberhunter » Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:05 pm

Think you would be amazed if you patterned with IC or Mod. I use IC in both my Extrema and 1300 pump. 3" 2s and HeviShot 6s both pattern great. But I really do suggest you take the time to pattern the gun with different chokes :thumbsup:
txtimberhunter
Newb

Postby gander commander » Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:48 am

i was shooting bbb's out of a full choke and they wouldn't pattern worth a darn, but when i switched to a mod. they patterned much better
gander commander
Newb

choke patterns

Postby bonbonjovi » Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:53 pm

switch to briley or ballistic chokes nothing more than modified and you will see the difference , non toxic shells have a tendency to pattern very tight
bonbonjovi
hunter

Postby ARMallardSlayer » Sun Dec 12, 2004 5:26 pm

I use a IC..........
If you can't work em in close & git em in yo face with their orange langing gear down, don't bother takin the safety off!
ARMallardSlayer
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:19 pm

if you are shoting a full you are msot likey blowing your pattern ... drop down to a mod.. with steel shot a mod. choke has the same effect as full... just go up 1 lvl from what the chock says it is when shoting steel out of it...(steel dosen't compress like lead ... you have to rember that)
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 98ramtough » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:14 am

I just bought a brileys goose choke, supposed to be an improved modified I think. I have not patterened it yet, hopefully it is better than the factory modified.

Mike
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby Steverinobambino » Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:59 pm

After patterning my 2 guns, I exclusively use Mod with steel and Full with hevi-shot
Steverinobambino
hunter

Postby Thundersnow » Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:55 pm

People,
Its great to pattern your gun - everybody should. The thing It seems most people miss is the reasoning behind it. You want to see which shot sizes give you the most uniform pattern at the ranges that you shoot. Although the tightest pattern is good for some applications it is probally the main reason people miss at a range they know how to lead a duck! There is absolutely NO reason you need a full choke at 30 yards- period. If you would take a range finder to the blind, you will see a honest 40 yard shot is a long shot. If you are a very good shot, and I mean very good, you might actually hit enough ducks at 50 yards to make using a full choke type pattern useful. Most people would kill more at 50 yards with a cylinder choke because they have no clue how to lead something at that distance and the only chance they have is a lucky pellet anyway. Give yourself room for error, and leave the tight chokes to the experts. I guarantee you'll start killing more ducks!
Thundersnow
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes