Duck Hunting Forum banner

2 7/8 10 gauge

20K views 61 replies 20 participants last post by  lostknife4 
#1 ·
I am just sitting around bored so I thought I would ask a question I have thought about many a time.

When I was a kid I for some reason remember seeing shotgun shells for sale in 10 gauge with a 2 7/8 inch length. This was in the 70's when we used to by our shooting supplies at a grocery store in Tulsa, Ok. Man times have sure changed. They had a whole section of guns, shooting and reloading stuff etc. I digress.

These shells stuck out to me because I was surprised it wasn't 2 3/4 like the 12 that I used to shoot.

I never have seen any sold since and my SP-10 says it only takes 3 1/2 rounds. Am I crazy or is this a legitmate shell for the 10 gauge? If so does anyone use them?

#2 ·
It was the standard length for the 10 for a long time. I shoot them in a single shot American arms I have and I am still looking for a good o/u to shoot them through. You can get loading info from BPI for reloading them and rst still factory loads them.

http://www.rstshells.com/rst_classic_sh ... shells.htm

#3 ·
Redgun actually reloaded some to shoot for practice when we were out breaking clays one day. The only problem we had with them was they would not cycle in a browing gold ten as it would kick two out of the mag and try to double feed.

#6 ·
Yeah it shot and cycled the gun fine, it was just double feeding.

Now that i think about it i dont know if we tried it with one in the hole and one in the mag. That might have worked now that i think about it.

One thing about it those little shorty shells kicked harder than hell lol. I think they were easily as much recoil as a 10 gauge 3.5.

#8 ·
I dont know the recipe, but they were in cut down winchester hulls i think so he didnt ruin any good rems or federals.

PM Redgun. I know they were 1 3/8 lead sevens over longshot powder. Pretty much ten gauge dove loads with a lot of whollap to em lol.

#9 ·
i shoot lots of cut down loads. i use my 10's for everything from doves and woodcock to squirrels and black bear. when the crimps get blown out, i cut them to 3 inches and load them another 10 times. they kick much less than a full house load. there was something seriously wrong with redguns load. i shoot 1 1/4-1 1/2 oz loads with mine using the decimax and sp10. i think ballistic products has another 10ga sport wad out as well. just do yourself the favor and cut em at 3" instead of 2 7/8" so you can load them with the normal 600jr. also, get or make a hull skiver so they will crimp right.

#10 ·
Best I recall, the 10 gauge 2 7/8" in 1 1/4 ounce & 16 gauge in 1 ounce (lead loads) were the only two "square" loads which allegedly produced optimum patterns.

#12 ·
UK fowler said:
that doesnt work out 16oz to a pound yes ok 16g =1oz load 10g =1.6oz load i think a maths test is on the cards
dude
IMHO, it's more a rule of thumb to go by than a definite formula as even different types of lead (plated vs. non-plated & high antimony vs. low antimony) pellets would likely have a range of variance not to mention the shot size itself would likely play a critical (read; volumetric) role as well.

Plus other pellet types (steel, bismuth, tungsten alloy, etc.) would likely (literally) stack up differently.

The best way to get an accurate assessment would probably be to assemble a variety of shot charges in the shotcup and then measure to the bore ID.

#15 ·
Hello
This is Mike, Ned's Friend ( YES He has some friends), I went ahead and registered for myself :smile:

What I have been loading for 10 gauge 2 7/8 are OLD Remington Hulls cut to length, Remington *57 primers, 25 grains of Green Dot, Remington SP10 wad, two cheerios, 1 1/8 ounce of shot and a six star crimp.

You can also use one cheerio and use 1 1/4 ounce of shot.

And you can go up to 28 grains of Green Dot, and 1 1/4 ounce of shot, but when I shoot skeet with my NID the recoil is pretty high.

The Ithaca NID has 32 inch full and full barrels and swings quite nicely

Enjoy the day
Mike

#17 ·
Hello
Why yes, I am,
Yes Cheerios is a breakfast food, of standard shape and size,it is bio-degradable , and is light weight. Perfect as a filler and during shooting it is pulverised and a not noticeable, I use the Wal-mart brand (non-sugar coated)
Enjoy the evening

Happy Easter

#23 ·
OK OK since we're talking old guys, me included, and old 10 Ga, 2-7/8, I have a question.............
I have a few PAPER winchester and Rem cases and we here in Canada are stuck with Steel for waterfowl, does anyone have a Steel recipe for the 3-1/2 10 PAPER cases or perhaps I could cut them to 3" for 2 - 7/8 loads. What preference for the crimp ~ roll or 6 point?
I would like to load these for some skeet or trap practice and can load lead but just in case of an ammo mix up I would prefer steel so the wardens don't get upset with me in the marsh with lead loads.
Thanks ~ Lost

#24 ·
Hello grnhd
Yes just drop them into the wad before loading the shot, orientation does not seem to matter with small shot, do NOT bring the shot drop tube into contact with the cheerios as they will stop up the tube and then drop the shot as the worst time. MURPHY lives.
Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.