Is it possible?

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide, pennsyltucky

Is it possible?

Postby ks_waterfowler » Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:49 am

Heard a guy bragging that he could kill geese at 70 yards with reloaded 10 gauge rounds. I don't think it can be done. What do you guys think.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby DuckPlayer » Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:26 pm

Don't know about that it all depends on what he's puttin in the shells.
I was reading a magazine artice today and they were talking about how this new hevi-shot Dead Coyote in 3.5 12 gauge is plenty mean enough to drop geese at 100+ yards and a new choke designed just for it thats putting 70 to 80% of the pattern into a 30 inch circle at 70 yards. I don't think I'd even try a 70 yd shot much less a 100 to 125yd shot but they are making some good stuuf nowadays. I did first hand see a big grater shot with one of these loads this year and the shot went all the way though like a rifle round will 5 t shot pellets to be exact the friend claims it was a 60 yd shot drop 20yd for the embellishment and thats still some pretty good firepower. Just wish I could afford to shoot it.
Some days you do everything right and don,t bag a thing , Some days you do everything wrong and still get LUCKY !!!
DuckPlayer
Pro Hunter

Postby SteveInTN » Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:32 pm

I saw a guy fold a Snow Goose at 60+ yards last year with a 10 gauge. He thought it was much closer and had an itchy finger because the geese hadn't been working his side of the spread. I mean it folded it, hit it hard. He was using off-the-shelf 10 gauge loads.

I'm not promoting this, just telling you what I saw with my own eyes.
"I'll start spending less time with my dog and more with my wife when she starts fetching ducks for me"
SteveInTN
hunter

Postby atp » Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:38 am

Hi Guys

Yes --Hevi-shot #2 pellets have the energy to knock down geese at 70 yds---the required energy is 2.5 ft-lbs!

#4 hevi-shot will do the job out to 55 yds!

The lead required at 70 yds would take an experienced shot--I Have seen Tom Roster from Winchester do it on snow geese.

Using steel shot would probably require BBB or T shot--and that would be very iffy--I would not attempt it --too many cripples at that distance!

BB hevi shot would have the energy to approx 100 yds--but that would be foolish shooting--BB hevi-shot will penetrate human flesh to 265 yds!!

So they say!!

Good Hunting

TOM
We are located in Vancouver,BC
Hunting done in Manitoba and BC
atp
hunter

Postby donell67 » Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:45 am

that bb hevi-shot sounds dangerous.265 yards is a long ways to go for shot to go into human flesh.that would easiliy put an eye out at that distance.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby mallardhunter » Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:57 am

Is this the guy that says he can drop them at 70 yards?http://www.A site not worth visiting.dcshosting.com/viewtopic.php?t=18
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:59 am

Yep, I wamted to see if it was feasible. The other site doesn't get enough traffic except for me and you, so I really had nobody to ask. Nobody around here shoots a 10 so I was clueless. Sounded like hot air to me, but I am always looking for info about guns and loads.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:02 pm

I hunt with him. :oops: He don't shoot at anything that far too often, it is just when it is really slow, and he don't hit the duck. He got so much crap the rest of the morning for shooting at a duck that was way out of range, everytime we saw some ducks far away we told him to shoot and he would tell us to shut up.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby mccree79 » Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:57 pm

The 10 guage will get out to 70 yards. On public land in Illinois, someone is always carring a 10 gauge and shooting swing birds. I actual had a guy at the cache river, shoot my swing birds and the bird he shot was at least 70 yards fom him. He claimed it was 85.

The bird landed 15-20 yards from me..... I mean it must of swimmed off, or maybe people shouldn't shoot my swing birds. My dog needed to retrieve something anyway.
mccree79
hunter

Postby atp » Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:06 pm

HI Guys

You don't require 10 guage to shoot ducks/geese at 70 or 80 yds---a 2 3/4 12 guage and 1 1/8 oz shot will have the same killing energy--albeit not the number of pellets---using hevi-shot--# 2 shot.Usually only 3 or 4 pellets do the killing--if you can figure the lead??

We did an experiment on geese this past weekend--at 70 to 80 yds,if you shot at the lead goose--you would hit the one behind it---a one goose lead!

How many guys would think of going out that far after shooting steel over the past 10 yrs?? It is like learning all over again.

TOM
We are located in Vancouver,BC
Hunting done in Manitoba and BC
atp
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes