Carlsons choke tubes

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, NV Guide, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler

Carlsons choke tubes

Postby dukcracker » Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:59 pm

I have a question for everybody. I just bought a SBE and heard over time that steel shot was rough on a barrel ,and I'm thinking about ordering a set of Carlsons extended steel shot chokes. Has anyone had any experience good or bad? I'm wanting to order something soon so I can pattern before I go hunt. Thanks in advance for the help. :help:
dukcracker
hunter

Postby dtercho » Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:53 pm

Yes steel can be hard on choke tubes. I have an older Churchill Windsor 1 SBS. And if you look down the outside of the barrels you can see the bulges where the steel entered the chokes. I have no preferance on manufacturer but a good extended tube for steel will save you some grief. Also try a couple of differant size tubes with differant shot sizes. You'll be amazed that a modifide tube can out pattern a full. I found this to be true on larger shot sizes.
dtercho
Newb

Postby dukcracker » Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:08 pm

Thanks for the input dtercho so now I know extended chokes are the way to go what brand choke do you guys recommend and why? :help:
dukcracker
hunter

Postby dtercho » Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:31 pm

www.precisionreloading.com
http://www.carlsonschokes.com/contents.html

I have no real preferance as to which manufacturer of choke tubes to use. Carlson sells everybodys so I guess they would know more about a choke for a specific need. I left a couple of links to help. I'd check with customer service or tech support to hear there input. Thats about all I can offer.
dtercho
Newb

Postby dukcracker » Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:37 pm

thanks again dtercho
dukcracker
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes