Please share your Rem. Hypersonic reviews

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide

Re: Please share your Rem. Hypersonic reviews

Postby MK10 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:02 am

cultivateitnow wrote:Prolly why they both like to argue...Neither one of them understand what they're reading. ;)

Let me help you by rewording it to a lower grade level.

I used the Hypersonic 1 1/8 oz loads and I believe they kick less than 1 3/8oz 1550 fps loads.

Did that help?

You guys make this way too easy and way too much fun. :)

Wow, I thought Sanch made a good effot modifying/rewriting his orginal post in a coherent manner. I'm glad to see you're helping out too :biggrin:
MK10
hunter

Postby cultivateitnow » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:55 am

Too funny. I thought you was kidding and just giving him a hard time. I didn't know you really believe what you were saying. Go back and read the post again...really slow. let me know if you need any help. :)
cultivateitnow
hunter

Postby MK10 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:32 pm

cultivateitnow wrote:Too funny. I thought you was kidding and just giving him a hard time. I didn't know you really believe what you were saying. Go back and read the post again...really slow. let me know if you need any help. :)

I don't think I need to re-read it! The fact that you both decided it was necessary to modify to make it coherent is enough for me :wink:
MK10
hunter

Postby greyson1 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:58 pm

Back to the op's ? I've used the hyper 3.5" 1 3/8oz #2's & imo they didn't kick much harder than the kent 3.5" 1.25oz 1625fps or 1 3/8oz 1550fps loads did.
The pattern differences are another story.... I get better patterns from the kents and i think it largely has to do with the hypers bad wad/zipper petal design. Not saying with a little testing that they can't made to pattern well. Again imo not a bad shell, just finicky :beer:
"Can't never did anything! So don't listen to them... They wouldn't know good owl manure if they were standing in it!"
Arthur J. VerStraete (1920-2009)
greyson1
hunter

Postby Norsky » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:52 pm

In the 935 I had it made a hum that I never heard before. Kicked like nothing else I ever shot. Patterned fine but I would not shoot anymore of them. No one measures port pressure in shot shell loads. The delayed burn in my opinion causes increase in bolt speed.
Norsky
hunter

Postby Uncle Jesse » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:36 am

MK10 wrote:
I don't think I need to re-read it! The fact that you both decided it was necessary to modify to make it coherent is enough for me :wink:

Everybody else understands what he wrote. What you're doing is totally unnecessary and should be stopped. I had a teacher in high school that used the phrase " Close your mouth because your brain is hanging out". It applies here.
Jesus Saves
Uncle Jesse
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:01 pm

Bought some (~08/2010) and patterned (40 yds.) with a Beretta 390 (with SureCycle kit installed) & PM tube and got ~80% patterns.

However, these were the most violent episodes of felt recoil I have experienced in ~44 seasons of waterfowling so I ran another batch except this time using a chrony to see how fast they were running. Got readings of ~1900fps which was likely in line with how my shoulder felt at the time.

Remington took the rest of the batch back and did testing on them and said they were in line with published velocities and blamed my readings on a faulty chrony and/or gas distortion. :no:

I handload 1 3/16 oz. of steel to 1642fps and never have experienced the felt recoil the HyperSonic cartridge delivered.

Fired one (3" 1 1/4 oz. #4) during this past teal season...my shoulder felt the same pain as before and my ears rang for an hour.

Will not be firing any more of them as I feel they will wreck a shotgun...sooner...than later.
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:08 pm

Brent wrote:Holy crap....I didn't meant to kick off an argument!

Brent...you didn't...Don Quixote & Don Quixote, Jr. like to argue with fenceposts.

Case in point...the subjective nature of felt recoil is apparently lost on the both of them. :fingerhead:
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:17 am

Yuchi1 wrote:

Brent...you didn't...Don Quixote & Don Quixote, Jr. like to argue with fenceposts.

Case in point...the subjective nature of felt recoil is apparently lost on the both of them. :fingerhead:

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Felt recoil, correctly called perceived recoil, is subjective and as such cannot be proven one way or another. Recoil energy is quantifiable and can therefore be measured. And finally, recoil itself can be measured and quantified.

And by the way, any discussion with you is about like arguing with a fencepost! :wink: :lol3:

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby Ned S » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:23 am

Felt recoil is measurable. When your shoulder turns black and blue it is an great indicator that it is too much. :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: Ned S
Ned Swygard
Ned S
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:39 am

Ned S wrote:Felt recoil is measurable. When your shoulder turns black and blue it is an great indicator that it is too much. :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: Ned S

:lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Good point, Ned!

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby MK10 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:36 pm

Uncle Jesse wrote:
MK10 wrote:

Everybody else understands what he wrote. What you're doing is totally unnecessary and should be stopped. I had a teacher in high school that used the phrase " Close your mouth because your brain is hanging out". It applies here.

Uncle Jesse,

Thanks for your thoughtfully worded advice, that’s very Christian of you! Interesting timing and response, I guess it comes down to practicing what we preach. Isn’t that right? Hate to think you’re one of those “Do as I say, not as I do” sort of guys. :wink:

As for stopping, well, with all due respect, I think I have the right of reply, particularly when comments or questions are directed specifically towards me. :smile:

Cheers,

MK10
MK10
hunter

Postby MK10 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:08 pm

Yuchi1 wrote:

Case in point...the subjective nature of felt recoil is apparently lost on the both of them. :fingerhead:[/quote]

The key word there is “Subjective”.

We could spend hours discussing our perception of recoil when comparing one load to another. However, this is not really a meaningful or productive exercise, particularly when you consider recent examples of individuals applying a wimp or bravado factor into such discussions.
MK10
hunter

Postby Sanch » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:04 pm

When theres a flock of drake cans @ 30 yards over my blocks the last thing im thinking about is recoil. :beer:

I can honestly say I have had a recoil headache twice, once was shooting rem 1-1/4 3" 1s and the other was 8 rds of trap consecutively. This is with 14 seasons of 150- to over 250 birds, in other words thousands of shots.

I guess im just not sensitive like some of you guys :lol3:
Sanch
hunter

Postby Sanch » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:10 pm

Sanch wrote:When theres a flock of drake cans @ 30 yards over my blocks the last thing im thinking about is recoil. :beer:

I can honestly say I have had a recoil headache twice, once was shooting rem 1-1/4 3" 1s and the other was 8 rds of trap consecutively. This is with 14 seasons of 150- to over 250 birds, in other words thousands of shots.

I guess im just not sensitive like some of you guys :lol3:
Bravado, hell yah im tougher than you old farts :hi: :hi: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

You guys are great :lol:
Sanch
hunter

Postby Uncle Jesse » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:09 am

MK10 wrote:Thanks for your thoughtfully worded advice, that’s very Christian of you! Interesting timing and response, I guess it comes down to practicing what we preach. Isn’t that right? Hate to think you’re one of those “Do as I say, not as I do” sort of guys. :wink:

As for stopping, well, with all due respect, I think I have the right of reply, particularly when comments or questions are directed specifically towards me. :smile:

Cheers,

MK10

I feel it was no different than pointing out that someone has something in their teeth, fly open, something hanging out of the nose, etc. That teacher said that to me one time and made me realize that I was making myself look stupid by what I was saying. I stopped what I was saying and haven't forgot it. I appreciated it. It was not a slam in any way, form, or fashion but it seems you took it that way. I apologize for that.... I'm sorry.
Jesus Saves
Uncle Jesse
hunter

Postby phoneface » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:42 am

I got a box of 3" 1.25 #4's last Jan for $9. Killed a few birds... but probably would have killed more with "normal" loads. Way too much recoil for me.
phoneface
hunter

Postby quailhunter123 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:22 am

Very loud. Someone shoot a 3.5 out of a pump beside me. Couldn't hear out of my right year for 30 seconds
"Remember don't tell your mother what went on in the duck blind"
Remington 11-87
Browning Magnum Auto 5 20
Remington Versa Max
Winchester Model 50 20 gauge
quailhunter123
hunter

Postby Joe Hunter » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:31 pm

Here are some of my pattern numbers comparing Hyper-Sonics and Sportsman shells and both with 1 1/8 oz of #2 steel.

Pattern results from a 12-gauge 3" Remington 870 Special Purpose with a 28" barrel and factory flush Rem-chokes (pattern average of five, 30" post-shot scribed circle, yardage taped muzzle to target, in-shell pellet count average of five, and true choke constriction from bore gauge).

12 GA 3" REMINGTON HYPER-SONIC STEEL LOAD
1 1/8 oz #2 steel (141 pellets + 14 plastic beads) @ 1,700 fps
40 YARDS -- IC (.009" const.) / pattern 63 (45%)
40 YARDS -- Mod (.018" const.) / pattern 78 (55%)
40 YARDS -- Full (.037" const.) / pattern 100 (71%)

12 GA 2 3/4" REMINGTON SPORTSMAN HI-SPEED STEEL LOAD
1 1/8 oz #2 steel (139 pellets) @ 1,375 fps
40 YARDS -- IC (.009" const.) / pattern 85 (61%)
40 YARDS -- Mod (.018" const.) / pattern 116 (84%)
40 YARDS -- Full (.037" const.) / pattern 118 (85%)

Now you can be the judge, good luck.
Joe Hunter
hunter

Postby Theduckguru » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:37 pm

Sanch wrote:

You didnt MK and Frank did as usual. No worries I hope you got the info you where looking for.

Summary, If your a wimp or you cant hit the broad side of a barn then you might develop a flinch from these shells.

If you can shoot and you dont need to fire alot of shells to bag your birds this is a non issue. At least in my opinion.

How is it that I can shoot these out of an 870 or Silver Pigeon (with a hard rubber recol pad) and have no problem but others that shoot soft kicking autos cant handle it?

I have no idea. Granted I do live up north and usually have a bunch of cloths on. That might help a little.

If your worried about wear and tear on your gun, well buy a better gun. Those shells are of no concern to my supermag. It will shoot them forever and be just fine.

The kent load you mentioned along with there 1-3/8 load are very good loads, one of the best. In my opinion.

Man, I remember when I used to think like this. Getting on the 2nd and 3rd birds becomes much smoother and quicker with lower recoil ammo.
Banded Birds - Mallard / Black Ducks, 3 Jack Miners and 25 AVISE. BW Teal - 2, Wood Ducks - 1, Morning Doves - 1, Snow/Ross - 2 (both reward bands), Canada Geese - 12 (2 neck collars)
Theduckguru
hunter

Postby Beretta06 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:34 pm

I haven't personally shot them. One of my partners was shooting them this closer. He was using 3.5" hypersonic #2s while I was using Rsi # 88 we matched bird for bird. Including a knocking down a pair of redheads at distance. His was crippled mine was dead. What bothered me most was the wad pedals of the hypersonics were tore up. Sometimes missing entire pedals and looked like they had been thrown on the BBQ grill for a bit. I just wouldn't shoot somthing through a $2k shotgun that the wad doesn't protect the bore.I am formarly an exclusive 3.5" #2 shooter. And over the last 2 years I have had better succes with lighter faster loads. Follow up shots come much quicker with less muzzle jump. I just don't loose sight of the target like I used to. Which any trap /sporting clays/ skeet shooter. Seeing the target well is first and foremost #1 importance.

IMHO hypersonics are overpriced. And underperform for that price. And boy are they loud over concrete pits.

Dwight
Beretta06
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:55 pm

Something to think about shooting these 3 1/2" Boomers , if you like the gun you're shooting these out of ?
you won't have it long !

If you think they give you a advantage , you're wrong ! :hammer:

If you shoot a lot of these , you will become a less successful hunter , because your shooting will go to Hell ! :hammer:

Don't believe me ? Keep shooting them and findout ! :yes: :yes:
3200 man
hunter

Postby steelshotshooter » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:09 pm

Normally, I do NOT shoot 3" shells and I do NOT shoot factory ammo but, when wally-world put the Remington Hypersonic shells on sale for $10 a box, I bought 10 boxes of the 3" loads in 2's and BB...

I shot a Remington 11/87 with a 28" barrel with extended modified, full and extra full chokes. Recoil was not bad at all but, as far as killing ducks and geese, to say the performance was disappointing would be a major understatement! These loads SUCKED to say the least, and I wound up giving all of the unused boxes of crap away - 7 1/2 boxes. Never again will I waste money on factory loaded 12 ga. ammo....
By HIS stripes, we are healed...
steelshotshooter
hunter

Postby Spunky » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:20 am

I personal like them and they kill geese for me. I only shoot it out of a 870 with a factory modified choke. The only trouble is that I can't get the 3 inchers where I live. Everyone around here stocks the 3 1/2s.
Spunky
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:35 am

Sanch wrote:I would take one or two pellets with 100% penetration over 3 or 4 without any day. I will now be told by the many "experts" i am wrong but I dont care what the "experts" say cause half of what they say is BS anyway.

Yes, you are wrong...and the experts are right. (that's what makes them the experts)
Put one or two pellets completely through 10 ducks and eight of those ten will fly away. Put 3 or 4 pellets even halfway through 10 ducks and seven or eight of them will collapse on the spot.

Shoot half Hypersonics and half 1400 fps loads for the next five years or 1000 dead ducks, whichever comes first.
Keep accurate records on each shot made. Then, you can get back to this subject as a bonafide expert. I believe your results may surprise you.......
mudpack
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes