Duck Hunting Forum banner

Please share your Rem. Hypersonic reviews

16K views 70 replies 42 participants last post by  .243 
#1 ·
Hello:

Did anyone try Remington's Hypersonic offerings so far this season? If so, could you share your impressions along with which choke and at what ranges you used them?

Thanks.

I used up my last Hevi-Shot #6's and #4's this past weekend for the Northern L.P. Michigan opener.

For the upcoming southern L.P. opener I bought a box of 3.5" Remington Hypersonic #2's and #4's.

This weekend I"ll be hunting in layout blinds in a wheat field. I haven't shot steel in a while and decided to give these a try as my guilt over pushing the family budget into Hevi-Shot was getting intense!

Brent

#2 ·
I tried a couple of boxes last year, and I was underwhelmed with them.

IMO, they aren't even as good as Black Cloud (which I also think is pretty marginal).

I'll be sticking with Tungsten, despite the price. I may try a box of the Winchester Blindside if I can find anyone who actually has it in stock.

#5 ·
I patterened them at 20 and 40 yards with my Benelli SBE II and Kicks High flyer Mod and IC chokes. I shot the 3" Hypersonic 1 1/4oz #2s, 1700pfs at the champion duck target with the 30" circle. I shot 3 shells per choke per range and took the average. I than shot and compared the load that I usually use for late season mallards which is the Kent fasteel 3.5" 1 1/4oz #2s, 1625pfs and found that the kents patterened MUCH better. I dont remember the exact number of pellets in the bird and in the 30" circle off the top of my head but the hypersonics were VERY blotchy and had holes all over the paper. The kents had a nice even disturbtion! Also, as mentioned previously, they kicked like a mule and thats with my SBE II which i feel is a very soft shooting gun.

I am not trying to steer you one way or the other. You can shoot whichever brand ammo you want just giving you what I found out. As far as hunting application goes and knock down power, I do not have any personal experience with it on live birds cause quite frankly if it doesnt pattern well out of my guns and choke than I dont use it hunting!

#8 ·
The above post are right on the money from my experence with it. With the exception of patterning them, i didnt. I bought a couple boxes and shot them thru a briely IM and they killed ducks, DEAD. Not mallards not teal but Cans Bills and Goldeneye. in fact they exceeded my expectations.

I would take one or two pellets with 100% penetration over 3 or 4 without any day. I will now be told by the many "experts" i am wrong but I dont care what the "experts" say cause half of what they say is BS anyway.

I shot 8 birds with 12 shots every single one was dead. :thumbsup: make that 2 :thumbsup: Range 20-50 yards. I shot And killed a Goldeneye that my freind missed 3 times when it was leaving outside the deeks with 1 shot. That says alot, to the guys that never hunted them before they are very hearty and tough.

Oh and mine were the 1-1/8 variety. I noticed most on here shot the 1-1/4s so maby thats why I wasnt blown away with the recoil. I am positive 1-3/8 kents at 1550 kick harder. Oh and my 14 year old cousin agrees with me. He shot half a box thru my O/U which only ways I think 7lbs and they didnt bother his 120lb frame. one more for good measure :thumbsup:

#9 ·
Sanch said:
Oh and mine were the 1-1/8 variety. I noticed most on here shot the 1-1/4s so maby thats why I wasnt blown away with the recoil. I am positive 1-3/8 kents at 1550 kick harder. Oh and my 14 year old cousin agrees with me. He shot half a box thru my O/U which only ways I think 7lbs and they didnt bother his 120lb frame. one more for good measure :thumbsup:
The figures suggest something else! Here are some figures for an 8.5 lb gun.

1-1/8 ounce @ 1,700 fps = Recoil Energy - 49.2 ft/lbs, Recoil Velocity - 19.3 fps
1-1/4 ounce @ 1,700 fps = Recoil Energy - 60.8 ft/lbs, Recoil Velocity - 21.4 fps
1-3/8 ounce @ 1,700 fps = Recoil Energy - 73.6 ft/lbs, Recoil Velocity - 23.6 fps

1-3/8 ounce @ 1,500 fps = Recoil Energy - 57.0 ft/lbs, Recoil Velocity - 20.8 fps

#13 ·
Thanks, and by all means keep them coming if more have experience. Great stuff.

When I was using steel I was very pleased with Kent Fasteel. I use a Beretta Xtrema and the 1625 fps 3.5" loads that I patterned through my Briley Spectrum LM and IM chokes did really well. I still have a lot of affection for Kent.

However, no one local sells them anymore which is why I ended up with the Remington stuff.

For the past few seasons I've used 3" Hevi-Shot #6's through a skeet choke when hunting over decoys and #4's for mixed pass shooting. These have been incredibly effective for me but the price is too high to continue that practice.

I'm looking for a single steel load that does both well.

I am not, however, interested in much more recoil than the Kents I used to use gave me as they were at the top of my comfort level. I knew the Remingtons would be a little worse but it sounds like many have found them to be much worse?

Brent

#14 ·
cultivateitnow said:
Looks to me like the numbers agree with his statement. I'm pretty sure 49.2 is less than 57. :)
Not if he is refering to the 1-1/4 ounce load.

Sanch wrote:
Oh and mine were the 1-1/8 variety. I noticed most on here shot the 1-1/4s so maby thats why I wasnt blown away with the recoil. I am positive 1-3/8 kents at 1550 kick harder. Oh and my 14 year old cousin agrees with me. He shot half a box thru my O/U which only ways I think 7lbs and they didnt bother his 120lb frame. one more for good measure

#15 ·
cultivateitnow said:
Looks to me like the numbers agree with his statement. I'm pretty sure 49.2 is less than 57. :)
You're right, 49.2 is less than 57. But that wasn't what he said. He said, "I am positive 1-3/8 kents at 1550 kick harder

:wink:

Frank

#17 ·
Brent said:
For the upcoming southern L.P. opener I bought a box of 3.5" Remington Hypersonic #2's and #4's.]/quote]

You n abd your shoulder, have my condolances!

I tried a box last year. The didn't pattern well for me, but I didn't test them in a lot of different choke tubes. I did a comparison of them with a similar load of Kent and found the Kents to perform better. The recoil was not so much bad (it was noticably stiffer than the Kents), but the way the bolt slammed back against the receiver gave me some concern. I have heard of (unsubstanciated) claims on the internet of these loads doing damage to the receivers in some guns. Can't say for sure, but my experience was enough not to take a chance.

Lastly, after a little research, I'm not quite sure the technology iw ready for prime time. The whole idea is that a small charge is ignited by the primer, which causes the load to move forward slightly in the hull. This in turn, exposes and ignites the main powder charge. However, if the wad begins to colapse instead of moving the charge forward, then the charge is still fully contained within the crimped hull. Then, when the main powder charge ignites, it still needs to overcome the crimp and the inertia of the load. In other words, if the wad collapses, but the charge of shot doesn't move, the pressure will build to levels beyond SAAMI safe working pressures. Now, Remington knows that American gins, and to a lesser extent CIP approved guns, are quite a bit stronger than the SAAMI pressures. In the case of American guns, the proof load can be double the working pressure. And, even though CIP guns are not proofed that high, they certainly are capable of withstanding those loads. But, the problem is not a single over load. The problem is repeated overloads that can and do cause fatigue and failure of the moving parts.

Just my opinion.

Frank

#19 ·
Sanch said:
cultivateitnow said:
Thank god somebody can read.

Thank you cultivate. :thumbsup:
Good try, but here it is again

Sanch wrote:
Oh and mine were the 1-1/8 variety. I noticed most on here shot the 1-1/4s so maby thats why I wasnt blown away with the recoil. I am positive 1-3/8 kents at 1550 kick harder. Oh and my 14 year old cousin agrees with me. He shot half a box thru my O/U which only ways I think 7lbs and they didnt bother his 120lb frame. one more for good measure

Maybe you might want to try restructuring your sentences in future.

#21 ·
Oh and mine were the 1-1/8 variety. I noticed most on here shot the 1-1/4s so maby thats why I wasnt blown away with the recoil. I am positive 1-3/8 kents at 1550 kick harder THAN THE 1-1/8 SHELLS I FIRED

I stated that I shot the 1-1/8 load so what the hell are you guys talking about. MORE QUOTE MANIPULATION!!!!! :help:

Once again thanks cultivate

#22 ·
Anyway, thanks for the comments. Great stuff.

I think what lies just under the surface is a lingering doubt many of us have about steel- which is why so many of us, myself included, are always willing to bite when offered hexagonal shot, more speed, etc. I admit I'm susceptible to hype.

To be honest I had great luck with Kent stuff- I remember a pass shot on a goose with 1 3/8 #2's a long time ago that dropped with one shot at 45 or so yards. It was incredible.

Then I tried Hevi-Shot and later Remington HD in smaller shot sizes in 3" and a new world opened up- no cripples- no birds flying a while then dropping and so on- the same experiences many here have had I'm sure. Pattern testing, with both factory Beretta and Briley Spectrum chokes produced an affirming picture of what this stuff was capable of- despite, as I said, a history of good experiences with Kent.

So, it would seem the vast majority are unimpressed with Hypersonic and among the faster steel options prefer Kent. I think what I need to do is give my Hypersonic to a friend who is indiscriminate with his ammo choices and either order some Kent or suck it up and pay for some Hevi-Shot.

Thanks!

Brent

#23 ·
Brent said:
Holy crap....I didn't meant to kick off an argument!
You didnt MK and Frank did as usual. No worries I hope you got the info you where looking for.

Summary, If your a wimp or you cant hit the broad side of a barn then you might develop a flinch from these shells.

If you can shoot and you dont need to fire alot of shells to bag your birds this is a non issue. At least in my opinion.

How is it that I can shoot these out of an 870 or Silver Pigeon (with a hard rubber recol pad) and have no problem but others that shoot soft kicking autos cant handle it?

I have no idea. Granted I do live up north and usually have a bunch of cloths on. That might help a little.

If your worried about wear and tear on your gun, well buy a better gun. Those shells are of no concern to my supermag. It will shoot them forever and be just fine.

The kent load you mentioned along with there 1-3/8 load are very good loads, one of the best. In my opinion.

#25 ·
Prolly why they both like to argue...Neither one of them understand what they're reading. ;)

Let me help you by rewording it to a lower grade level.

I used the Hypersonic 1 1/8 oz loads and I believe they kick less than 1 3/8oz 1550 fps loads.

Did that help?

You guys make this way too easy and way too much fun. :)

#26 ·
cultivateitnow said:
Prolly why they both like to argue...Neither one of them understand what they're reading. ;)

Let me help you by rewording it to a lower grade level.

I used the Hypersonic 1 1/8 oz loads and I believe they kick less than 1 3/8oz 1550 fps loads.

Did that help?

You guys make this way too easy and way too much fun. :)
Wow, I thought Sanch made a good effot modifying/rewriting his orginal post in a coherent manner. I'm glad to see you're helping out too :biggrin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.