My hat is off to Federal Ammuntion

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide

My hat is off to Federal Ammuntion

Postby steelcommander » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:07 pm

They have really done there homework. I always thought steel reloads couldn't be beat as far as velocity goes, but I was wrong. They must have an amazing new powder. Also, they make a 1 3/8 oz. lead shot load that goes 1500 fps. I can't find any reloads even close to that. Any thoughts?
steelcommander
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:11 pm

You forgot to add the 12Ga 3.5" 1 3/8oz at 1550fps. Fed. Hi-Vel .

Yes Federal has made a big step forward....... Sage :thumbsup:
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:42 pm

Federal has been a staple of mine for years. Yes they are made 30 miles from me. But I use them because of when I did my patterning tests, my Win SX2 as a rule really likes them-meaning cosistent and/or better patterns than the other 2 bigumanyfacturers. (Win and DuPoint/Rem). I will occasionally use Fiochii and Kent too though. Fiocchi makes for many years now a sweet 3" load at 1475fps with #3shot and 1 1/8 load. A great duck load IMO. And Kents prices are hard to beat on theoir 3.5".

As for Feds, I have 5 cases of Ultra shock right now that I got at a ridiculous price last summer. I'm hoping to burn up 1 case this spring on the Snows :thumbsup:

As for the "hot" loads, they are not the only ones doing their homework, In the last 10 years the leap in the effectivness in steel loads is unreal. To give you a bench mark-the old 1300fps 3.5" of 1 3/8" steel 2s from 20 years ago is now = to a 3" shell of 1 1/8 4s at 1550fps for effective killing power. Years ago the shells just sucked IMO, way too often I'd smack a Mallard at 30 yds and they would be a cripple. :eek: :thumbsdown: My Great Uncle quit hunting 25 years ago becuase he hit 1 mallard 3 times in a row and it still was trying to fly away (1 shot in the air, twice more as it was trying to get up). So there is a marked difference in todays loads compare to the old steel loads. Today if it is a cripple--it is often shooter error-not becuase of poor ballistics.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Citori12 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:50 pm

:withstupid: There are some very fast lead loads. But the data for them has long been buried as non-tox shot became mandatory...how about an 1 1/2 oz 3" 12ga load at 1450 in LEAD!!!! Alas sad but true the non-tox industry does not share its secrets with the common man so that those of us that can make decent reloads will not duplicate or surpass thier loads in terms of effectiveness. H2 is correct if one has experience with steel todays ammo is effective if one uses discreation on his targets. Fiochhi, Kent, and Federal are the only factory fodder I have used and I might say thier ammunition is very impressive. So for those that do not prefer to handload these manufactures are very good.
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Postby Sagebrush » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:41 am

The only reason the Factory loads are better is because they have the new up to date powders. Which have a patten on them.

This information and data will not go public for 5 years. It is like the pill companys. No generic pills can be made until the patten expires, in their case, 7 years.

In the old days; Win 571, 800-X , SR4756 & Blue Dot were all that we had
for steel loads. At least we now have Alliant "steel" powder for loads that will preform almost like lead.

Things could be worse; they might outlaw steel !! :hammering: :hammering: :laughing: :laughing:

Sage
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby tengoose1 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:39 am

My hats off to both federal and alliant. Federal is the only company that will allow sell of brand new primed 10ga hulls woohoo! Alliant for giving reloaders the best steel shot powder ever. I am with sage on the patent thing and the new powders. I learned this a few years ago when I called BP and asked them how factory stuff got loaded so much faster, they told me that big companys have their own powder blends that are not available to anyone.
I dont want to kill them all just the first one and the last one!
tengoose1
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:42 am

My father and I have been reloading since 1968 and until steel became mandatory I do not believe we ever bought a box of shells. Our mainstay duck and pheasant load out performed most factory offerings. Well maybe in 7 years we will get a break on powder. In the meantime when I find good quality ammo on sale I weight the time and effort to reload and sometimes come out ahead by not reloading. However, what keeps me at the reloading press is the increasing difficulty in finding a good load of 3's and 1's...and I reload all my early #5 duck loads as you simply cannot find #5's in factory offereings. I have not used #2 steel for several years as the #3 pellet performs better for me. I have not used #4's either because I can get fives to produce better results.
Citori12

Postby Sagebrush » Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:19 am

I buy two boxs of 3" BB every year !! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:30 am

I bought 2 boxes of 10ga federal ultra shock on sale at sportsmen's warehouse because they were not selling I paid 2 dollars a box less than 3 1/2" 12ga fodder :laughing:
Citori12

Postby river hawk » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:11 pm

There are a lot of powders over here in europe that develop speed with lower preasures than have ever been known before UEE CSB0 is one outstanding powder it makes aliant steel look high preasure by comparison and Bofors TK8 is another good one but not produced at the moment. vectan are making inroads into this type of powder and no doubt will bring something out soon. I wqhould not be suprised if federal were not using the spanish UEE csb 0 powder to get these speeds.
river hawk
hunter

Postby Joel » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:01 pm

I buy all steel loads I shoot after hunting sesson just got a case of drylok #2 for 5 bucks a box reg 16 dollars a box
make sure you scrach my Cooder, tickle my Cricket and feed Jake <thats my pups>
Joel
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:33 pm

You guys talking about Federal Ultra Shok? All the guys use it my dad and i are gonna use it next season they say it is awsome.
Gooseboy
Banned

Federal

Postby renoduckman » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:35 pm

I think that Federal ammo is good, there old lead was good, steel is good and i have even liked there rifle ammo too. And i think those 1 and 1/8 ounce game loads they sell at Wally World in the 100 pack are pretty good for the price. They are better than your average cheap promo load.
A bad day hunting beats a good day at work
renoduckman
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes