Anybody else pattern your gun?

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide

Anybody else pattern your gun?

Postby ks_waterfowler » Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:57 pm

Anybody but me pattern their duck gun? If you have never I suggest you do it. Had the Xtrema since June 2002. Never patterned it with goose loads until last week. Every load I shot had huge holes in the pattern except one. Federal Ultrashocks patterned the best with estate's coming in a distance second. Pattern your gun and you may be suprised on what patterns better.

What loads shoot best out of everyone else's guns?
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby donell67 » Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:04 pm

i have only patterned my gun for turkey. i dont think you can go wrong with kent. did you try patterning kent.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby mallardhunter » Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:24 pm

I thought about it, but I never did it with goose and duck loads, but I did do it with turkey loads.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:33 pm

I thought kent would be the stuff. Left a huge hole right in the center of my pattern. If I was dead on then the bird would live. Also put most of the pellets up and to the right. Federal had a wonderful pattern out of my gun. I really suggest you shot your favorite duck load and see how it patterns. I think the results may suprise you.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:54 pm

hum never really thought about it i guess i though for the most part they would all be the same.... might have to try ... anyone ever pattern a gold with 26' on it ... what were the results
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ks_waterfowler » Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:00 pm

Yellow,
I have seen identical guns with identical chokes and loads pattern drastically differently from each other. The only way to know for sure is to do it for yourself.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby twoscoots » Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:41 pm

I patterned my Rem. 1100 today with Winchester #2s 1 1/16 oz load. I was truely amazed at the pattern @35 yards. I took a sheet of news paper and I taped a 8 1/2 X 11 inch typing paper in the center to represent my aiming point. I pulled the trigger and wow', I counted 25 holes in the typing paper and a nice pattern around it in the news paper! I then opened a new shell with my knife a carefully counted the steel inside. I found exactly 117 pellets. The most shocking thing was the size and the shape of the steel. Some of them were twice as large as the smallest and all were mishapen. I still cannot talk trash about the shells because they have done a nice job for me on all three trips with quick kills and good decent range on fly-by woodies'. perhaps I will try some of the good stuff for this gun ( fed #2s at 1 1/4 oz ) but at 5 bucks a box cheaper I suspect that I will keep shooting the winchesters until the ducks have seen shooters well into the december season. Then perhaps I will change over. :salude:
II want to be in PETA ....people eating tasty animals, pass the gravy please!
twoscoots
hunter

Postby duckplucker » Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:57 pm

hmm. never thought to try it on my duck and goose loads. i guess i figgured if i was shooting well enough and dropping birds with my shots i didnt need to test it.
"Take 'em"
duckplucker
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:01 pm

My problem came when I was dead on and the bird wouldn't get smoked. The pattern was way off with that shell. When I went to cheap stuff was my downfall. Federal Ultrashocks from here on out.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes