Federal Hulls

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, NV Guide, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler

Federal Hulls

Postby Capt. Ahab » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:58 pm

Just looking for opinions and info on the Federal 3" 7/16" fiber basewad hi power hulls. I originally thought these hulls were the famed "gold medal" hulls. After I noticed the gold medal stamp in the brass base was missing I looked down the mouth and a fiber/paper base was staring right back at me. So what do you guys think of these hulls for reloads? I've seen Alliant's loads, but are there a fair number of effective loads published elsewhere? Lightning Steel? How many good reloads do you get out of them?
Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.
Capt. Ahab
hunter

Re: Federal Hulls

Postby eastcoastsoxfan » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:24 pm

Ive only seen aliant loads for the 3". the 2 3/4" one is in lightning steel, and lymans 5th. not sure about BPI. I shoot the 2 3/4 one, seems fine, just throw it away after. paper base can come loose if its fired too many times. if paper gets wet, no good also.
"The old school hunters shoot what they shoot and kill as many as they always have, the newbies have their 3.5."
eastcoastsoxfan
hunter

Postby Toasty » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm

Capt. Ahab wrote:Just looking for opinions and info on the Federal 3" 7/16" fiber basewad hi power hulls. I originally thought these hulls were the famed "gold medal" hulls. After I noticed the gold medal stamp in the brass base was missing I looked down the mouth and a fiber/paper base was staring right back at me. So what do you guys think of these hulls for reloads? I've seen Alliant's loads, but are there a fair number of effective loads published elsewhere? Lightning Steel? How many good reloads do you get out of them?

Fed Gold Medal are 2 3/4" hulls. The Federal 3" Fiber Basewad hulls and they are good hulls and they work great to reload. Not quite as much volume as the plastic base, but that is a good thing sometimes as there isn't as much space to fill with spacers. There is a lot of data for them out there. Lyman's 5th manual has some good steel data and Ballistic Products also has some good steel data with both having loads from 1oz to 1 1/4oz with a variety of different wads. Lightning steel is 2 3/4" only, nothing in there for your hulls. I get 3-5 reloadings out of them. I start loosing them at 3 reloads and by 5, I'm down to about 30% of the hulls I started with.

The paper basewad in this hull is very different than that of promo target hulls. The paper in this hull is wound tight, I've not seen a basewad in a 3" fiber fed hull wad come out or even get loose. I also don't worry is they get a little wet. If they have been soaking for hours or days, I usually discard them for safety, but even then, I know some people still reload them.
Toasty
hunter

Postby vital_kill » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:56 pm

Federal has 3 types of hull. The Gold Medal, the paperbase and the integral. Below is the federal GM and integral hulls

vital_kill
hunter

Postby skybusterbob » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:05 pm

I have always just loaded up the 1 1/8 at 1550 Alliant load and called it good.
skybusterbob
hunter

Postby grnhd » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:22 pm

skybusterbob wrote:I have always just loaded up the 1 1/8 at 1550 Alliant load and called it good.

Me too.Thats a heck of a load IMO.
Nobody gives a crap about your season totals.
grnhd
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes