Xpert Shells = horrible

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, NV Guide, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler

Xpert Shells = horrible

Postby Marshwalker » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:17 pm

this might have been posted before. but over the years i have always used estate 1's and 2's for big ducks and for teal i used winchester super x 4's. i hunted with a buddy of mine and he said not to use them they were probably some of the worst shells out there. i always thought winchesters were good though. he said the BB's in the shell are really deformed . not round at all. i know they all cant be perfect. but i didnt listen to him. the other day i thought about it and cut them open and sure enough they had halves of BB's , a lot of them had a flat side. he said put them on a flat surface and if they roll good then they are rounded good. i cut them open and poored it out and they all stayed still. i couldnt beleive it. i bought a case at the end of the season too.
:pissed: anyone else had trouble with these shells ? i have never really had a good shot with teal so this is now my new exscuse :mrgreen:
Last edited by Marshwalker on Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arise...Kill.. and eat
- Acts 10:13

"Kill a crow, Save a duck".
Marshwalker
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:41 am

You are about two years late with this post.

Enough said..... Thanks anyway

Sagebrush
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:03 pm

Really!?? We used to use the Winchester Xpert which are cheaper and did fine with them. Go out and pattern your gun maybe its not the shells fault. Also the BBs could be that way intentionally Remington Hevi Shot and Federal Ultra Shocks are not shaped like round BBs. Both of these shells have good reputations.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby spencerusmc » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:52 pm

I shoot 2's, 3's and 4's super X and I still kill all my ducks ( ok well not all but that's a different story) I have no complaints
A good hunting partner is harder to find than a good friend. (Rick Ross)
spencerusmc
hunter

Postby CrackerJackShot » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:03 am

I wanted to cry when I (like many before me) first split one open to find the devistation inside. It was just horrifying. I will never again shoot those at precious mallards. If I can get some REALLY close shots on woodducks and such I MIGHT consider using them if I dont have anything better just cause, something IS comming out of the barrel so I DO have a chance. But yeah, your a bit late on this one..... sorry.
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:16 am

on the other hand does the shape of the pellet really make that big of a difference... people have patterned them and havent had any trouble with that...
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby bgoldhunter » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:16 pm

Sagebrush wrote:You are about two years late with this post.

Enough said..... Thanks anyway

Sagebrush

Yup...
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby akbrett » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:38 pm

It may be late, but it seems that every other topic comes up again and again so what's the harm in this one.

I too have cut them open and swore that I would rather throw them then shoot them after looking at the sorry excuse for pellets rolled out. Will they kill birds, sure.

I was less concerned about the shape of the pellets then the actual size of the pellets. I was shooting 3's, and only about 30% of the pellets in the shell were actually the right size. The pellets ranged in size from a BB to a 7. In effect, the box I had was a duplex type load - and duplex loads have been shown in many studies to greatly INCREASE the crippling rates.

As for those of you who answer with the "If they pattern Who Cares?" reply, everyone should. This is the Shotshell, Reloading Ballistics, & Chokes Forum, these are the kinds of topics that belong here.

My .02 cents
akbrett
hunter

Postby Marshwalker » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:04 pm

akbrett wrote:I was less concerned about the shape of the pellets then the actual size of the pellets. I was shooting 3's, and only about 30% of the pellets in the shell were actually the right size.

well thats what i ment , it says 3 or 4 shot but less than half the pellets are 3 or 4 shot.
Arise...Kill.. and eat

Marshwalker
hunter

Postby CrackerJackShot » Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:20 pm

Yeah that made me cry too.... I was shooting 1's and I think I had some that were almost T sized in there and some that were probably 5s or 6s.. :thumbsdown:
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:54 pm

You should try Winchester Xpert then. I used to use Estates but switched to these. The main difference between these is that the Super X's are supposed to be waterproof but my Xperts always get wet and get submerged. Ive gotten a few pellets out of the ducks ive shot and they are round.

(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby CrackerJackShot » Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:58 pm

Oh I was talking about the cheapy Xperts....
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Postby Marshwalker » Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:24 pm

We are talking about Xperts.
Arise...Kill.. and eat

Marshwalker
hunter

Postby CrackerJackShot » Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:26 pm

ok.... yeah, thats what I thought.... then I meant what I said... lol you guys are gonna start confusing me!!
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:37 pm

Dressed2Kill wrote:We are talking about Xperts.

Get your story straight you said you were talking about Super X and now your saying your talking about Xperts.

Gooseboy
Banned

Postby arizonaduckhunter13 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:38 pm

I've had best luck with Federal Or Kent trust me i used winchester for 2 years every other couple of hunts becuz i was really trying all the shells and i managed two wigeon with those shells through the whole time i used them they may pattern ok but in the boat or in your waders they are no good from my experience by the way i went out for one hunt with kents took 10 shots in one hour got 6 ducks
I'll call you my hunting partner when you jump into freezing water to get my ducks
arizonaduckhunter13
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:46 pm

See thats the thing, i think some people just have better luck with others or some people just blame it on the shells (not saying anyone here is) unlike you arizona i did fine with Winchester and did not like Kents at all. All the guys use Federal so i going to use it next year.

Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Marshwalker » Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:59 pm

Yes i aplogize originally i said Super X but i changed it to Xperts . i experienced the same problem with both. but i used the xperts for duck hunting. haha well yeah since i cut them open and saw and read for myself about them . thats my new exscuse for missing all them teal. :thumbsup:
Arise...Kill.. and eat

Marshwalker
hunter

Postby arizonaduckhunter13 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:54 pm

ya i guess you just gotta find your shell i use kent #3 and i have good luck with them at 1650 although they are not as heavy they just work for me my dad tends to use federal red box #2
I'll call you my hunting partner when you jump into freezing water to get my ducks
arizonaduckhunter13
hunter

Postby bhowe » Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:06 pm

Well, I've never really had a preference to brands, short of pistol rounds. Mainly Corbon and Triton. However, I did purchase some .22wmr Winchesters to test in my NAA magnum. The ones that shot did penetrate and expand ok (for the size), however, I experienced probably about 20% that failed to fire. That broke me on Winchesters. I did yesterday though pickup a box of Drylok Super-X BBB 10ga rounds despite my reservations as they were the cheapest rounds available, and I only need them to do some rough tuning, I immediately noticed that the pellets rattle around, much unlike any other brand I've used (which is not many in 10ga). Side by side I noticed they are shorter than the federals as well. In fact, the Federal #4's are 3", and the s-X's are 2 7/8's. Not a huge difference, but the federals are bulging and the X's are loose. I also noticed for the first time that a 3.5" shell is actually 3" doh! I never realized they practiced the lumber philosophy here!

I guess that Winchester has been in trouble for awhile. I heard last week they closed the last production plant in the US, and the brand name was sold to another country years ago. That's just a shame to see another good ole american icon go by the wayside.
bhowe
Newb

Postby Jr.waterfowlslayer » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:26 pm

My dad and I went through 1 case of those this year, and we were both very pleased with there results. They seemed to bring down honkers every time we got to shoot at um. I can understand that they have a wierd pellet size or whatever, but overall i think they pattern pretty well through my Remington 870 Express Magnum.
"If it hops it drops, if it flys it dies"
Jr.waterfowlslayer
hunter

Postby Oregon Honker » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:24 pm

thats why i shoot fedral's or hevi shot
Killem
Oregon Honker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby scott m ward » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:06 am

Ive read this post and reread it,and I finally decided to comment. First of all I want to express the fact that I mean no disrespect to anyone on their respective views and or ideas. I have shot about every brand and several different reloads; in my opinion, winchester xperts and superx work just as well as anything else out there . In fact , my primary shotgun seems to prefer them over remington, kent faststeel, federal ect. I have also cut them open and in SOME instances found some inconsistancy with pellet size, and shape, but I have found that to be true with the other companys as well. I guess winchester super X 3"#2 is my "go to duck load."
That being said, HEVI-shot #4 is my favorite load for light and dark geese, but that is a whole different story, and you cant compare apples to oranges.
You did a great job with this coot sandwich! Tastes almost as good as your sliced shoveler loaf!
scott m ward
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:21 pm

I'll go along with Scott......I PREFER the XPert shells out of my guns....and use the 2 3/4" 2's for almost all large ducks including scoter and eider......with respect to round pellets, remember that flat sides allow for shot string expansion, so the spread is better (maybe not conssitent though)......alot of skeet shooters reload with just shot that was culled from the soil because they will have a wider pattern.
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Marshwalker » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:14 pm

well thats yalls opinion . i just like to get something worth my money and know it will work without any misfunctions.
Arise...Kill.. and eat

Marshwalker
hunter

Next

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes