What do you reckon to Remmie shells guys?

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide, pennsyltucky

What do you reckon to Remmie shells guys?

Postby EnglishGun » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:37 am

Hi all,
Just wondered if you guys could help an English wildfowler out with your opinions of Remington Steel shot shells please?
As many of you may know we have'nt been using steel for nowhere nearly as long as you guys have and our choice is limited. Remington are the most common US shells available but I don't see many comments on them on this forum. Is that a bad thing :thumbsdown: or a good? :thumbsup:
We can get the entire range of Nitro steel and Hi speed sportsman loads, 2/34", 3", 3.5" and 12G and 10G but I mainly shoot 3.5" 12G.
EnglishGun
hunter

Postby pennsyltucky » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:54 am

they are pretty good. i have used the 3" 1 1/8oz hi speed (i think they are at 1550) with 2's for ducks and they seem ok. factory shells are factory shells.

u should look into reloading because u guys have some pretty sweet powders over there for high speed reloads. a while back i was reading up on some of ur powders, and was wishing i could get some, but the price is outrageous to get it here......
pennsyltucky
Forum Moderator

Postby goosecaller » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:08 am

If you can find Kent Fasteel over there or order from the internet, I would recommend those.
call 'em in and kill 'em all
goosecaller
hunter

Postby EnglishGun » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:44 am

Cheers guy's
I am just starting to reload again after a break of around 7 years. I used to load when we used lead for ducks and geese so just getting used to the change. North of the border in Scotland they still can use lead
away from water.
I just happen to live close to a good supplier of Remmie shells and the hi speed sportsman loads are "cheap". Or at least as cheap as you get in the UK!! Whatsmore the alledged velocity of 1550 fps seems attractive too. As a rule our proof authorities prevent fast steel shells on our market so that seriously limmits our options. Our factory shells only reach around 1300 fps or slightly higher if less than 4.0mm. (US #1 or UK BB) This means that despite Kent cartridge starting life as a UK firm (Gamebore) their UK range of steel shells is no way near as good as Kent Faststeel. Believe me you guy's are lucky!
EnglishGun
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:30 am

for those of them who have never used steel...there are some rules...#1 do not use steel in a classic english double gun!!!!!!! unless you want buldges on the end of the barrels where the chokes are. Rule number 2 which for those english gents who use 1oz loads for driven pheasants. You do not need heavy payloads. light fast steel works far better on average than does heavier payloads. In a 12ga gun, 1oz of steel is plenty for most birding. (that is nearly 1 3/8oz of lead equiv) So remington 1 1/8 oz loads are fine in 12ga offerings.
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Postby EnglishGun » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:47 am

Thanks Citori but have no fear I'm not about to start using Steel the through my little English 20. I use a Berreta Extrema and a Nova for all my duck and goose shooting, I also have .675 Terror chokes and Briely X2 M, IM and LF chokes for both.
One major difference I've noticed with US and UK hunters is that even back in the days of lead you guys tend to use much larger sizes of shot at slower velocities than we do. For example for most game shooting situations in the Uk up to 45yds by far the most commomly used shell is 1 1/16 oz of english 6's (270 pellets per oz, so between your 6 and 7.5.) that kills perfectly well on Pheasants, partridge, rabbit pigeon etc. Ducks to for that matter but 5's (US 6's) were more common for pass shooting on the coast. Geese too, as the most common lead size was english 3's (US 4's) perfectly adequate for pinks (similar to your snow and blue geese) upto 50 yds and greylags and canadas upto nearly as far.
EnglishGun
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:09 pm

that is why you english and Uk guys probably like me :laughing: I use #6's on pheasants and # 7 1/2's for grouse and #8's for dove and quail. In lead I would use a #1 for big canada geese and #5 and #4 for ducks..but remember here in colo we hunt ducks in some pretty extreme weather sometimes and the larger shot handles the cold weather better. Some of my best hunts has been -20 below. I like my loads speedy. My best lead load was 1 3/8oz at 1330fps, My steel I like to run between 1400fps and 1500fps.
Citori12

Postby EnglishGun » Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:02 am

Back to the Remington shells.... Anyone else have any comments please?
EnglishGun
hunter

Postby VTduckman » Tue May 02, 2006 5:31 pm

remington is all i have ever used. the Sportsmans Hi-speed is cheaper than Nitro Steel, but i like the Nitro better.generally i use #2's or #4's for ducksbut any where between #1's and #6's will work fine. depending on your budget, i would go with Nitro Steel.
Season Totals-
Canada's-Alot
2 Mallards
2 Blacks
15 Green Wing
5 Wood Ducks
1 Can.
1 Pintail
Hooded Merganser
VTduckman
hunter

Postby SwampMonster » Wed May 10, 2006 3:28 pm

I shoot mostly Remington ammo.

My current favorite for duck's is Nitro Steel w/ 1 1/4 oz of #3 shot (3-inch) @ 1390 fps. Would seem slow to some, but it is a wonderful load.

If I do need a little more zip, I shoot 3 1/2-inch loads. My favorite there is also Nitro Steel w/ 1 3/8 oz of #3 shot @ 1550 fps.

I'm a fan of #3's (steel shot), can you tell? When using hevi-shot, or other high-density loads, I prefer #4's and #6's.
SwampMonster
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Wed May 10, 2006 3:48 pm

:withstupid: 1390fps is a wonderful speed for larger steel. I would like to interject......factory lead loads and hevi speeds are extremely slow considering the average steel load. In the days of lead I used nothing slower than 1250fps with lead loads. Give steel an extra 100-200fps and you have a good load for use on waterfowl with steel. I would prefer a good solid zippy steel load to a dog hevi load any day. Balance payload with a little speed (not too much speed, large steel pellets really hate subsonic loads, large steel= #2 and larger in 12ga loadings) so go forth and use what works for the hunting situation young jedi!!!!! :laughing: :laughing:
Citori12

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Mon May 15, 2006 10:17 am

I've used plenty of Remington's Sportsman high-speed shells an so have most of my friends. They are economical to buy and the pellots are second to none as far as size and roundness. # 4 for decoy work and #2 for geese and pass shooting. I wish they made them in #3's because thats my favorite size pellot for ducks and they will still wack geese if they come my way. :thumbsup:
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Mon May 15, 2006 11:06 am

One of the main reasons I reload is because I can make #3's, 7's, T's, 5's #1's, 2's and any size inbetween. This gives me an advantage as I think the #3 pellet is superior to the #4 at close to the same pattern density. I also reload cause I get disgusted and the big manufactures offerings. This held true for me in the days of lead. I don't remember buying any lead shotgun shells and still do not for those applications that I can still use lead with. I do on occasion pick up a box of steel now and again when I find good loads at reasonable prices...which would have to be cheaper than I load them for...In addition I never buy #4 steel shells from anywhere cause my home made #5's kick the ammo manufactures products butt!!!!!!!! I never buy #2's either because my home built #1's and #3's can fill in that gap quite well... Thanks to the advent of the 3 1/2" 12ga, I now can find affordable, reasonable ammunition for my 10 ga at prices I cannot build them for...but Federal is the only ammo manufacture I will purchase for the 10ga. So as long as there is a higher demand for 3 1/2" 12ga loadings I will wait till seasons end and pick up 10ga premuim ammo for 11$ a box (25) on sale!!!!!!! :thumbsup:
Citori12

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Mon May 15, 2006 12:24 pm

I knew those 3 1/2" 12ga. shells were good for something. :laughing:
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes