Duck Hunting Forum banner

Steel Shot

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Sagebrush 
#1 ·
Im wondering what would be better for pass shooting and jump shooting. A shell with 2, 1, or BB shot. And Would it be better to have a a shell with 1 1/8 oz shot with a vel. of 1560, or a shell with 1 1/4 oz shot with a vel. of 1425. I will be shooting 3 in shells at ducks.

#6 ·
#2 1 1/4 OZ
This should give you a denser pattern ensuring multiple hits. Idont think the reduction in velocity will make much of a difference, as long as they are still cranking out at least 1400fps.

#7 ·
Does not matter wether you hunt over decoys, jump shoot, or pass shoot take your birds inside proper shotgun range and use the best patterning shell you have. Does not matter if its bismith, tungsten, hevi or steel....be keen on your pattern and your ability....good hunting ethics put birds in the bag long shooting does on occasion....good hunters and good fishermen put more in the bag because they study and learn....just because you have a shotgun and can shoot does not mean 1000 yard elk nor 60 yard ducks tumble at a whim!!!!!

C12

#12 ·
Sagebrush said:
This type of shooting needs bigger pellets with more energy for
clean kills.

Sage
exactly right. but most guys think that they need #2 to start with for under 30yards, so going to a bigger size means B, BB, or even T shot. thats just rediculous for a duck, and its probably even overkill for a goose. out to 40 yards, 4's work very well, to 45-50, 3's work good, and past that out to 60, go with the 2's or maybe 1's on a crappy day. everyone is still of the school that believes that to kill like lead they have to go up in size at least 2 sizes for steel. that was how it was in 1983 when steel loads were smokin if they topped 1300, but its a whole different story now. within normal shotgun ranges, 1550+ fps steel will kill just as dead as the same size in lead going 1290. some of the patterns and penetration i get make me wonder why i would want to use lead for anything anymore. and i have even started using steel 4's for crows and other nuisance stuff cuz the patterns hold so well. i will be using em for all small game this fall.

#13 ·
:withstupid: In my opinion (only my opinion of course) it does not matter wether you pass shoot, jump shoot, or decoy shoot. A shotgun is good to 50 yards, and only with someone who is extremely capable with a shotgun and loads 60 max. You need pattern to hit a bird, you need energy to penetrate one. Ducks are smaller than geese and I have yet to see many folks whack teal at 60 yards with anything. Todays steel shot can definetly kill cleanly with smaller shot sizes if you know what your doing with it. #5 steel at 1600fps can carry the mail on meduim size ducks out to 45 and 50 yards. (if I am shooting 5's however, I limit my range to about 40-45) #3 pellet is in my opinion the largest shot size needed for big mallards at distances most of us can hit birds on the wing. For geese #1 would be my choice if I were limited to one shot size. I have difficulty getting BB's to pattern in a 12ga. The 10ga handles #2 size shot and larger with much more efficiency. If you are jump shooting ducks and they are going away from you, a tighter pattern is needed because there is little vital area open to shot to penetrate. Shooting ability, and shotgun/shotshell performance is the key in selecting the right load/choke/pattern for ones hunting conditions. Being a reloader I strive to provide the best combination for the conditions I hunt. This can also be achived to some degree with off the shelf ammo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.