Need your help with ordering hevi-shot

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide, pennsyltucky

Need your help with ordering hevi-shot

Postby Los Banos » Mon May 22, 2006 9:08 pm

I am gonna be using benelli sbe2 this year with modified choke, getting ready to order a couple cases of hevi shot, what size should i buy for ducks? I was thinking 3 1/2 #4's? and for geese what should i get? thanks for your help
Los Banos
Los Banos
hunter

Postby ksubigbuck » Mon May 22, 2006 10:24 pm

I hate to be the one to say it, but holy crap! 3 1/2 for ducks? :eek: Maybe 3 inchers, but I'd say 2 3/4 is plenty for ducks, especially if you are using hevi shot. #'s 4, 5, or 6 should do great. Take my word for it, you will be deadlier with the smaller shells. The big shells will mess with your mind, and you will just be putting hevi in the air, instead of taking more precise, accurate shots. The lighter recoil also helps you keep your gun shouldered properly and your cheek on the stock. I'm sure others here will tell you the same. 3.5's will kill ducks pretty well, but can be counter-productive in the wrong hands.
ksubigbuck
hunter

Postby ksubigbuck » Mon May 22, 2006 10:26 pm

Forgot to mention above: 3.5" #2 or #4 would be an excellent goose load. Again, you don't need 3.5's, but for geese I like the extra payload.
ksubigbuck
hunter

Postby Jr.waterfowlslayer » Mon May 22, 2006 10:37 pm

I personally would use 3in. 4's for the ducks, and 3 1/2in. 2's or B's for the honkers. Just my 2 cents though.
"If it hops it drops, if it flys it dies"
Jr.waterfowlslayer
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Tue May 23, 2006 2:27 am

Overkill for ducks, But for me I do not need a 3 1/2" 12ga for ducks nor do I need to second mortgage the house to buy hevi.
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Postby pennsyltucky » Tue May 23, 2006 7:11 am

with hevi, use 2 3/4" #6's for the ducks and 4's (at most) for geese. the 6's do a great job on geese too. use ur i/c choke instead of the mod, and u will do much much better with the hevi. if u do get one inside 35yards with the mod choke, ull blow em to bits if u hit em. and hevi pellets sure hurt ur teeth......

7.5 hevi for ducks works amazingly well too, but try a skeet choke or u may shoot em up too much

also, why dont u just buy a box or 2 and try them????? and then get a box of 3" or 3 1/2" #4 steel for the ducks, and 3 1/2" #1's for the geese? its waaaayyy cheaper than hevi, and it will kill em just as dead.
pennsyltucky
Forum Moderator

Postby Citori12 » Tue May 23, 2006 8:21 am

As always there are folks in the hunting world that feel they need more gun or heavier ammunition to accomplish a small task. The guy that trades in his 30-06 for a 300 winchester magnum. Years of experience has brought me to believe that spending more money on a bigger gun, better "Long Range" ammunition is a waste of time and money. There are folks that use hevi and 3 1/2" guns to shoot ducks. I have seen many an 80 yard duck go down since hevi has been on the market...But I have also counted more than 25 shells to knock down one duck. No matter what one uses for ducks in the form of ammuntion or shotgun it cannot replace good hunting ethics and skills. This summer I am restocking and re-fitting a savage/fox SXS and reaming chokes...this will be my duck gun this fall...its good to 45 yards. With steel ammuntion. The advantage of hevi is that its heavier than steel...and that is all...it does not kill any better or have any qualities that are an advantage. But to each thier own.
C12
Citori12

Postby thaner » Tue May 23, 2006 3:26 pm

Go with the 2 3/4" #6 hevi for ducks and 3" #4 for geese. That's all you need. 3" #2 for really long-range geese is okay, but there is no way you need 3 1/2". If you pattern you will see for your self. The 2 3/4" #6 patterned so good for me I would use IC out to 35 yards easy. I used skeet last year over decoys and nothing more than Mod for pass shooting ever. I was getting 90% patterns at 25 yd. with skeet. Same goes for the #4's for geese but you can go one step up without grinding them up. I used the #5 3" for turkey hunting out of a standard full.
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby pennsyltucky » Tue May 23, 2006 4:14 pm

thaner wrote:Go with the 2 3/4" #6 hevi for ducks and 3" #4 for geese. That's all you need. 3" #2 for really long-range geese is okay, but there is no way you need 3 1/2". If you pattern you will see for your self. The 2 3/4" #6 patterned so good for me I would use IC out to 35 yards easy. I used skeet last year over decoys and nothing more than Mod for pass shooting ever. I was getting 90% patterns at 25 yd. with skeet. Same goes for the #4's for geese but you can go one step up without grinding them up. I used the #5 3" for turkey hunting out of a standard full.

exactly
pennsyltucky
Forum Moderator

Postby Citori12 » Tue May 23, 2006 7:26 pm

Or...use a 2 3/4" 1oz load of steel #5's with skeet over decoys early season. Use 3" 1 1/8oz steel #3's later in the year for ducks. And #1 steel 3" for geese, with improved cylinder.
Citori12

Postby quackhunter » Tue May 23, 2006 8:23 pm

I have found Hevi #4 to be very deadly on geese out to farther than what I can hit consistently. 2 3/4 #6 shot for ducks and 3 or 3.5 #4 for geese is what you need.
quackhunter
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Tue May 23, 2006 8:47 pm

Hevi-shot is a specalty pellet for people that get pissed off at
the results of shooting steel.

I have shot lead,steel,bismuth & Hevi at all size ducks etc..

# 4 hevi will kill anything at 75 yards. #3 & 2 hevi is "overkill".

# 6 hevi will take ducks out to 60 yards with 1450 fps loads.

Hevi is great stuff ! However for ducks inside 55yards STEEL is the only way to go!! Why pay 5 times as much for a dead duck?

Hevi is ment for ducks and geese at 70 to 80 yards. That is if your
gun can get a 70% pattern or 80 pellets in a 30" circle at that distance .

If you can not get these results you better go fishing........ Sage
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Tue May 23, 2006 10:40 pm

:withstupid: If you can hit ducks at 80 yards consistantly, then maybe the US Olympic trap and skeet team might be your forte'
Citori12

Postby Swamp Puppy » Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:04 pm

lol...

i don't use it much as i can't justify the cost when i shoot most of my ducks inside 20 yards. at that range good ole' steel does just as good as anything. 3" of 1 1/8oz #2 steel at 1550 fps is all the shell i need...and probably MORE than i need.

i have used hevishot though..and i can tell you that #6 hevi is lethal on ducks. i wouldn't go any bigger than that. i used 3" shells, but 2 3/4's would have been fine. i shot some #4's and tore up the ducks pretty bad. i don't recommend it.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:41 pm

For those of us that have killed thousands of birds with lead. Given copper plated lead #6's at 1330fps I gotta tell ya unless the ducks turned into big fat northern mallards or redheads ( I do not get cans here in Co) then I did not need much larger shot than that. In later season with nickel plated lead #5's I could put a hurt on birds at a pretty good click without chasin down any cripples, copper #4's were outstanding for geese over decoys and decoy shy mallards. #1 nickel plated lead was all I needed for geese at any distance I could hit them. Hevi shot is nothing more than a harder version of a heavier material. I does not perform like lead any more than steel does. For those of us that had to deal with the transisition between lead and steel in a very short time we experimented ruthlessly until we could effectively kill birds cleanly at reasonable ranges. I bought my 10ga shotguns during this time and now I use them less frequently as I have learned what works and what does not. Hevi-shot is not going to give you any more advantage... But I will say for those folks that think that killing waterfowl at 80 yards is sportsmanship...go for it!!!!!! I just read Colorado's hunters survey and for those who are not dyed in wool waterfowlers and only hunt 2 to 3 times a year it may be worth the investment...but for those of us that hunt more than that wether we shoot something or not...steel will out perform hevi in the hands of those who have learned to use it!!!!
My .02
Citori12

Postby tengoose1 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:51 am

Normally C-12 I'm 100% with you but on this one when it comes to performance hevishot outdoes steel hands down. Most people dont have the skill to kill waterfowl consistently at longer ranges but for those that do this stuff is deadly in their hands. As far as anything inside 45 yards your probably not going to get a lot of gain from it if your steel load patterns well for you. When it comes to price that is where steel outperforms hevishot, but for those that can afford it than have at it.
I dont want to kill them all just the first one and the last one!
tengoose1
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:56 am

Actually you are right on!!!! :withstupid: I just have a hard time trying to justify expensive things for a hobby. I have killed big canada geese with a 10ga and steel at 70 yards....BUT DO NOT DIVULDGE THIS!!!!!
Citori12

Postby Sagebrush » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:49 pm

C12;

70 yard geese....

Was that with your O/U shotgun with the 10Ga & the .222 ? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:26 pm

with the 10ga, I saw 75 yard ducks go down early season this year with heavi, but here in lies the problem....you start shooting like that and you may hit one you may not....but if you shoot and shoot and shoot till you hit some...then the flights of birds start flying your way to about 100yards out and flare hard if someone spits out some chewing tobacco. But yes I am very capable of hitting long birds with steel....and when I have done that its because I hauled out6 dozen shell decoys to watch numbskulls shoot at everything flying over the field and not been able to interest a bird. I got a lone single flying over threw in some super duper super steel goosy droppers and popped him on the first pass. That brand of steel cannot be purchased over the counter by the way :laughing: :laughing:
Here in colorado before mandated steel I watch 100 yard geese go down with #4 and #00 buck...is it ethical...nope is it usually lucky YEP!!!!
Citori12

Postby FEATHERBUSTER » Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:20 am

I have to agree with c12 when mandated steel came about we had no choice but to learn to use it. I found that a good spread and some half way decent calling I could get them into killing range with steel. Besides I'm not good enough of a shot to be able to afford the"good" stuff. :laughing: But boy I sure do miss the days of lead. :smile:
FEATHERBUSTER
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:07 am

:withstupid: I do not mind paying 2.00$ a round for ammunition, when I am shooting an elk and it takes one shot and that round of ammunition is effective to 500 yards. For bird hunting I shoot enough during waterfowl season that it would cost me an average of 120 dollars a year (slim years) to fling the nice stuff....instead I prefer to stash that money in a piggy bank and purchase nice shotguns...or a new truck, or a nice retirement fund heeeeee C12
Citori12

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes