Please stop me pulling my hair out!

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, NV Guide, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler

Please stop me pulling my hair out!

Postby EnglishGun » Sat May 27, 2006 6:18 am

Guy's

Please help if you can! Many of you seem very knowlegable on how to cure reloading problems and I'm sure you must have come across this one before. When using my MEC STEEL MASTER 3.5" I'm having great difficulty with wads sticking to the bottom of the rammer tube after I've tried to seat them in the shell case. This means that as I lift the handle back up the rammer tube pulls the wad straight back out of the case. It doesn't seem to matter how much pressure is used to seat the wad wether it be 20lbs or 120lbs the wads stick every time. I'm using multi metal and TPS 3.5" and CGR 350 wads which are available over here and very similar to TPS. Any ideas anyone? :withstupid:
EnglishGun
hunter

Postby steelcommander » Sat May 27, 2006 11:28 am

I FEEL FOR YOU, BROTHER!!! I got the same problem. Haven't cured it yet. I'm working on another problem. My crimp punch is off center when I try and crimp a shell. I constantly have inconsistent crimps. I'm open to ideas on how to fix it.
steelcommander
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Sat May 27, 2006 3:50 pm

With the "new" powders you can get away with only 10lbs wad pressure.

Try squeezing the hull with your free hand as you raise the ram to prevent
the wad from coming out of the hull.

The tube should be .63 " or less outside dia.

Hope this might help ..... Sage
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby pennsyltucky » Sun May 28, 2006 6:48 am

the wads stick because of the massive taper in base of them. u cant do anything about it if u still want to load steel. u would have to use a 20 ga or smaller rammer and drop tube to lose the problem, but then how u gonna drop big shot down?

heres how i dealt with it.

get a hull reshaper, like the spin doctor from ballistics. then rip the whole wad guide finger assembly off the loader, and just put the wad in the shell by hand. the spin Dr. will open up the hull mouth wider than necessary if ur not cautious.
Last edited by pennsyltucky on Mon May 29, 2006 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
pennsyltucky
Forum Moderator

Postby pennsyltucky » Sun May 28, 2006 6:57 am

steelcommander wrote:I FEEL FOR YOU, BROTHER!!! I got the same problem. Haven't cured it yet. I'm working on another problem. My crimp punch is off center when I try and crimp a shell. I constantly have inconsistent crimps. I'm open to ideas on how to fix it.

u sure that the tower is perpendicular to the base? and is the shell holder clip clear onto the base? it slides under the spring at the bottom.

if the bolt in the back of the loader isnt tight enuf, the tower will push to the right when u crimp the first shell, and it wont tip back till u loosen the bolt, adjust it to perp, and tighten it up real snug.
pennsyltucky
Forum Moderator

Postby Citori12 » Tue May 30, 2006 7:51 am

Basic rule number 1. When reloading steel shot using steel shot wads your best bet is to seat the wads by hand. I use a dowel to do this. I do not use any excessive force but seat the wad so it stays in the bottom of the hull. When I reload steel shot I want extremely accurate shot to shot performance. As with my high power, high performance rifle loads each powder charge is hand weighed to a .1 of a grain. I use a loading block for this process. After all the hulls are sized and primed they are placed in a loading block where I weight each powder charge and place the wads into the hull. Then the shot is weighed to the nearest pellet and placed into the hull. The press only sizes, primes and crimps the loads. Everything else I do by hand. I do only a box of shells at a time. With a limit of 6 ducks per day I have never used more than a dozen shells per hunt. Its tedious but when I pattern a load I know that the shotgun shell I am chambering for the mornings hunt has repeatable performance.
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Postby LA.Call'emClose » Wed May 31, 2006 9:27 am

I've been known to shoot over a box in a hunt...
But then again someone's got to shoot the friends' limits too. HA
• I think we consider too much the good luck of the early bird and not enough the bad luck of the early worm.- Franklin D. Roosevelt
• Life's tough...It's even tougher if your stupid.- The Duke
LA.Call'emClose
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Wed May 31, 2006 11:05 am

The last time I shot a box of shells for anything is when we were on a point system. Where gadwall, widgeon, teal, pintails were 10 points and mallard drakes were 20 and hens were 50. Between my dad and I we killed 20 ducks for a total limit of a 100 points a piece. I still think I had a few rounds left. But the other reason is you want to use your reloads and not store them as if moisture gets into the shot column you have worthless steel shells that do not perform.
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes