buckshot question

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, NV Guide, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler

buckshot question

Postby steelcommander » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:58 am

I know this doesn't have much to do with duck hunting but I'm looking to reload some #4 buckshot for skunks/raccoons. Are there any other loads that would work better on those furry bastards?
steelcommander
hunter

Postby pennsyltucky » Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:27 pm

lead bb or 2's work excellent. 4buck is pretty big even for coyotes out to 60 yards or so. for skunks, u want a good tight pattern or they will go ballistic......... U DONT WANT THIS TO HAPPEN!!!!!! so if u are going to buy some shot, go for the bb's or 2's unless u are planning on 100 yard shots. even at 100 yards, bb's are probably just fine.

PR has 2's and bb's
http://precisionreloading.com/2004catalog.htm

ballistic products has buckshot down to size B but u only get 8lbs and its almost the same price (5 bucks less) as PR's 25 lb bag.

and PR will ship it to u for $10 in a flat rate box, and u could get a bag of steel shot thrown in the same box for no more $$ (up to 40 lbs), whereas ballistics wont.
muleskinner wrote:you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth and a benalli in the other.
pennsyltucky
Forum Moderator

Postby steelcommander » Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:09 pm

Thanks for the advice. My range is about 0-30 yards. I'm thinking #2's will work well.
steelcommander
hunter

Postby thaner » Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:41 pm

0-30 yards I would just go with #4 lead. I used to us #5 on the skunks that used to get in the chicken coop when I was a kid and it did just fine out to a good 40 yards. #4 should take care of them.
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby pennsyltucky » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:24 pm

at that range i would probably just use whatever is handy, but steel shot at close range is a deadly thing. it slices right thru. steel 2's would really be the ticket.
muleskinner wrote:you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth and a benalli in the other.
pennsyltucky
Forum Moderator

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes