choke and shot on A5 20gauge

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, NV Guide, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler

choke and shot on A5 20gauge

Postby sigep538 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:20 pm

I have an old belgium A5 twenty and would like to find out more about it. How do i know what kind of choke it has? It says special steel on the side of the barrel this means it is safe to shoot steel shot right? What would you guys reconmend for decoying ducks and for dove season? I know, I know I do have a 3.5 inch BPS for slaughtering them but this gun has soooo much nostalgic feel. It was my grand pa's I want every excuse to hunt with it, I think you all know what I mean. :salude:
Be men for if we are not men we canot be brothers. Fall 96
Teal 5
Canada 1
Ruddy 1
Gadwall 2
Ring-necked 4
Canvasback 1
Mallard 1
Spoonie 2
tree rats 15
doves 1
dragonflies 2
Deer 1
sigep538
hunter

Postby LIGHT12 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:15 pm

Can't remember the choke symbols off hand, but I have an online reference I will look for. If your A5 is Belgium and has a fixed choke do not shoot steel out of it. I have gone to Kent TM with my Light12. They make a killer #5 in 12ga and I assume it would be the same in 20. Great gun you will enjoy it. 5s in Kent Tungsten Matrix will kill decoying birds for sure.

Don't know the dove loads for you. But I switched to Kent upland loads while I was shooting a 20ga for gambels quail, and didn't miss or lose a bird after the switch that first season. I use Kent for all my upland now. They make great loads.
Have you ever woke up one day and said. Damn when does the season start.
LIGHT12
hunter

Postby pennsyltucky » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:32 pm

the "special steel" doesnt mean its for shooting steel. if its really all that old, they didnt even have steel shot at the time of manufacture.

nitro special (lefever), nitro express, and special steel were designations that hung on into the 50's or so, but they were actually used at the turn of the century to designate the use of the "new" nitro based smokeless powders.

mike the choke at the muzzle and subtract from .615. if its any tighter than about .015-.020, i wouldnt try shootin much steel out of it. get some bismuth or kent tungsten matrix.

that old gun probably has a bunch of memories and i wouldnt want to muff it up by slamming some magnum steel loads down its throat......

why dont u just use lead for ur ducks? all the amish around here do. :tounge:
muleskinner wrote:you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth and a benalli in the other.
pennsyltucky
Forum Moderator

Postby LIGHT12 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:47 pm

Amish can use lead, ,I hope they are throwing it at the ducks or shoot it from sling shots. Didn't know guns were part of the loophole system they run pretty efficiently
LIGHT12
hunter

Postby pennsyltucky » Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:47 am

haha i am pretty sure they are supposed to use steel, but when all u do is hunt ur own swamp behind the house, and ur family owns the entire surrounding 4000 acres, guess u can use lead. :yes: i used lead in the 12ga once, and didnt do a bit better with it. they dont use decoys or much camo either, so im impressed the get any at all.
muleskinner wrote:you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth and a benalli in the other.
pennsyltucky
Forum Moderator

Postby sigep538 » Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:34 pm

So I should proably stick with Kent Tm or others. still how do I figure out what size choke I have and I dont have a micrometer. Thanks guys
Teal 5
Canada 1
Ruddy 1
Gadwall 2
Ring-necked 4
Canvasback 1
Mallard 1
Spoonie 2
tree rats 15
doves 1
dragonflies 2
Deer 1
sigep538
hunter

Postby LIGHT12 » Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:42 pm

**_ is the symbol for improved I think, and my mod has **, and I think full is *.
LIGHT12
hunter

Postby pennsyltucky » Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:40 am

u dont know anybody that would have a dial caliper? or veneer caliper?

throw it in the truck and go to the nearest gun shop, or machine shop, or even car garage.... anybody that uses tools for a living will have either a dial caliper or a mike.
pennsyltucky
Forum Moderator

Postby sigep538 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:39 am

Ok guy I figured out it has a full choke because it says *special steel on the barrel. I will go ahead and pay the extra money for the new non tox's do you guys still reconmend 5s or 4s TM or Bisumith?? Im just itching to snag my dads light 12 A5m, buy a mod barrel, and have the reciver "de rusted" and reblued!!! I will have my dream matching pair of humpbacks
Teal 5
Canada 1
Ruddy 1
Gadwall 2
Ring-necked 4
Canvasback 1
Mallard 1
Spoonie 2
tree rats 15
doves 1
dragonflies 2
Deer 1
sigep538
hunter

Postby LIGHT12 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:13 am

you shoul probably pattern them. My light 12 shoots 5s nicely but not 3s. never had experience with the 20ga. shells in any manner.
LIGHT12
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes