heavyshot choke

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide

heavyshot choke

Postby sidecarr » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:18 pm

anyone have any experince with heavy shot chokes just brought a modified cabelas heavy shot choke
sidecarr
hunter

Postby thaner » Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:25 pm

No

Standard ones work just fine. I have shot it in everything from CY to Turkey choke. You don't need anything special. The stuff shoots so tight you don't need anything more than IM to shoot farther than you should for waterfowl. The duck and goose loads I have tried shoot 80% at 40 yd. with mod. I use skeet over decoys and IC out to 40 yd. I used full last year for turkeys to 40 yd. Going to a turkey choke next year with #5 and #6, very tight patterns.
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby sidecarr » Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:55 am

been an upland hunter for years, useing lead , last year went goose hunting , was shooting geese I could see the goose was getting hit with the heavy shot but it was takeing three or more shots to get them down , after the hunt went and checked the patern had a big hole right in the midle , hopeing the heavy shot choke will tighten up the pattern , with factory chokes and winchester lead ammo the gun patterns good
sidecarr
hunter

Postby pennsyltucky » Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:08 am

what choke were u using before? for the hevi i mean. the hevi-mod is just an i/c with a fancy stamp on it. although it will be a well made choke.

blown center is usually the loads fault no the choke. what gun are u using?
muleskinner wrote:you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth and a benalli in the other.
pennsyltucky
Forum Moderator

Postby sidecarr » Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:48 pm

useing a remingto 870 3.5 " the choke was a remington modified , I ussualy shoot a modified
sidecarr
hunter

Postby sidecarr » Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:20 pm

got the new choke when i got home, took it out paterns real good on 6 and 4 shot , used the last two #2 shells from the box I used last year still had a hole in the middle ,so maybe I had a bad box , will have to pick up another box of 2 and see how they pattern
sidecarr
hunter

Postby thaner » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:45 pm

One of my waterfowl guns is an 870 and I have patterned it with heavi and standard factory chokes and with a couple of Trulock chokes. I have had no holes in 6, 4, or 2. sounds like you just may have gotten a bad box or something. They all patter outstanding for me. I don't use anything more than mod. and the #4 for geese. The 2's have so much energy I don't bother with them. I am saving them for the next time I hunt an area where we only get pass shooting.
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:13 pm

If you can pattern a shotgun....use what you got and work from there special hevi-shot chokes are nothing more than different constrictions...there is no majic in shotgun chokes...either you choke the shot column or you don't.....steel, hevi, tungsten all are hard materials so standard steel choke tubes will give you pretty much identical results....you got your work cut out..I have patterned 32 chokes and 119 loads..and a few of those at a 40mph target.....good luck!!!!!!
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes