Need help with Blackpowder loads

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide, pennsyltucky

Need help with Blackpowder loads

Postby whitelightning » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:01 pm

Sure could use some advise on what loads I can use in a dbl barrel Navy Arms 12 ga Muzleloader for waterfowl. Not sure if I can use steel inside a heavy shot cup or should use Bizmuth (How bout Hevi-shot)? Any good loads or experiences are appreciated.
whitelightning
hunter

Postby pennsyltucky » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:01 am

u can do any of those..... here is a coupla guys that may better suit ur question tho...

http://muzzleloadermag.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x

or
http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/fusionbb.php?

id try 110g of 2f with some good heavy steel wads in that gun to start. and maybe go up from there...... remember its not a magnum, so stick to 1oz or 1 1/8oz of shot with steel so u get the speed. order up some sam-1 wads from here....

http://www.outdoorsmansupply.com/store/ ... tegory=248

they are by far the cheapest, and shipping is cheap too.

if u can get some 1f black it would be better for ur speed. start with 125 or 130g. or even better would be 20g of 3f or 4f and 100g 1f on top of that. i still use the nitro card wads under the shotcup to help keep the plastic out of the barrel in my .62 smoothy, and it will lessen the pressure some. and the lubed cushion wad between the o/p card and plastic wad will soften the fouling ull get with the 1f or 2f.

make sure to cut ur wads to the length of the shot inside so it doesnt rattle around and knock the o/s card out. and if u dont have a chronograph, u should borrow one or try to find someone who has one to make sure ur pushin that steel fast enuf. u could use hevi-shot, but its so expensive, u wont want to shoot the gun.
muleskinner wrote:you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth and a benalli in the other.
pennsyltucky
Forum Moderator

Postby pennsyltucky » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:04 am

and u better hurry up cuz all the liberals out there in oregon are gonna take that gun pretty soon..... :eek:
muleskinner wrote:you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth and a benalli in the other.
pennsyltucky
Forum Moderator

Thanx pennsyltucky

Postby whitelightning » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:49 pm

Thanx for the good ifo...I'll give a try...maybe test on those that would take our guns out here...
whitelightning
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:16 pm

I am with Penny...good advice.......black powder loads are most certainly going to be slower...but the navy arms 12 ga will handle steel as its really not a black powder gun..its a black powder gun meant for modern black powder shooting...you can use steel, bismuth, hevi, tungsten or steel staples if you choose...but let us know how this works out I have a black powder shotgun also and have been toying with the idea of really using it instead of showing it off at action shoots.
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes