forcing cone

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide, pennsyltucky

forcing cone

Postby steelcommander » Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:22 pm

If I was to have a gunsmith lengthen the forcing cone on my gun, what should I have him lengthen it to? And what is the length now?
steelcommander
hunter

Postby pennsyltucky » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:24 am

u dont get a choice. its either lengthened or its not. they are usually between 1 1/2 and 2" when ur done with em, depending on how tight the bore diameter is. (smaller bore makes a longer cone) its a solid tapered reamer that u use to do it, and u cant change the pitch of the tool.

there are some super long reamers out there that ream to about 5" long, but its a waste of money, even the guys that do it will tell u it is. they just do it cuz the customer WANTS it.

now? depends on the gun... some from 3/8" up to an inch (it would be an advertising point if it were an inch). it depends on gauge, and if its a cheaper gun, it will be short, because thats saami spec so that all they hafta do. when u look at the cone in ur gun, if it just looks like a black ring ahead of the chamber, its short. when lengthened, u will see it as a long gray section thats just a bit darker than the bore, but still shiney.

make sure that it will be honed and polished. matter of fact, u outta have him do the whole length while he's there...... it shouldnt be much extra.
muleskinner wrote:you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth and a benalli in the other.
pennsyltucky
Forum Moderator

Postby Citori12 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:26 pm

:withstupid: Yup well said...It does make shooting non-tox shells much easier to get uniform patterns out of.
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes